Do People Still Play?

Just purchased the Platinum Hits Edition of Halo Wars. I was just curious as to if the community for this game still existed?

EDIT:
More importantly, has the balance of the game at any point been broken? Or any game breaking bugs be it in MP or SP?

Word of advice, if someone chooses the arbiter, play defensive. They WILL rush you.

Sorry, few people play. I play it occasionally though.

Enough people play to reliably find a matchmade game?

Yup.

> Word of advice, if someone chooses the arbiter, play defensive. They WILL rush you.

Rushing is very effective in halowars, and if you want to be good, it will be your main strategy. Often times if someone rushes you, it is more effective to counter rush instead of playing defense. All the map specific buildings are useful, so it is worth getting them. This game isn’t meant to go into the late game, which is mirrored by the decreasing rate of return of your supply pads. The mainline strategy consists of tanks and banshees/vampires, you can also use gauss hogs and banshees.

> > Word of advice, if someone chooses the arbiter, play defensive. They WILL rush you.
>
> Rushing is very effective in halowars, and if you want to be good, it will be your main strategy. Often times if someone rushes you, it is more effective to counter rush instead of playing defense. All the map specific buildings are useful, so it is worth getting them. This game isn’t meant to go into the late game, which is mirrored by the decreasing rate of return of your supply pads. The mainline strategy consists of tanks and banshees/vampires, you can also use gauss hogs and banshees.

So it seems as though turtling isn’t as effective as it is in a PC RTS or any other console RTS save for Halo Wars?

> > > Word of advice, if someone chooses the arbiter, play defensive. They WILL rush you.
> >
> > Rushing is very effective in halowars, and if you want to be good, it will be your main strategy. Often times if someone rushes you, it is more effective to counter rush instead of playing defense. All the map specific buildings are useful, so it is worth getting them. This game isn’t meant to go into the late game, which is mirrored by the decreasing rate of return of your supply pads. The mainline strategy consists of tanks and banshees/vampires, you can also use gauss hogs and banshees.
>
> So it seems as though turtling isn’t as effective as it is in a PC RTS or any other console RTS save for Halo Wars?

Pretty much. You should be active with your units the entire match, even if you aren’t straight up rushing. IMO you should learn how to rush first, and then learn how to dial it back after you understand how the rushes work.

In my opinion, the easiest character to learn is the Brute if you want to play Covenant, or Anders if you want to play UNSC.

Good beginner strategies(not the best, but easy and effective to start learning with) IMO:


Brute: With the Brute, your goal is to distract the enemy so you can make lots of banshees.

Make your temple first, keep making warehouses after that. Send your chopper around the map and collect the blue resources. It’s easy to keep your chopper alive because it has a lot of health.

After your temple is done, your chieftain will appear. Click on the middle of your base. Lock your base, and set your base rally point to the circular teleport pad. Send your chieftain towards the enemy and collect resources along the way.

If you want to, you can make some brute squads from your main base. When you unlock your base, the brutes will go to the teleport pad and automatically teleport to your chieftain, at the other guy’s base. This is the brute rush. If you brute rush or not, attack supply pads / warehouses to distract the enemy. If you see a summit or a vehicle depot, kill it because they can make anti-air to stop your banshees.

Upgrade supply pads, upgrade your base, then put summits on the two new building spots. Make /upgrade banshees and fly them around the map, killing anything that looks vulnerable. Make / upgrade vampires if you see the enemy making air units.

As the game goes on, it’s important for you to make more bases and less important to care about your chieftain. Keep making air, although if the game goes on too long you’ll have to make other things.



Anders: With Anders, the goal is to have a lot of bases so you can make a lot of gauss cannon warthogs.

Start the game by making 2 supply pads and 2 warthogs, THEN make a reactor. Send your Warthogs to collect resources. KEEP YOUR WARTHOGS ALIVE and AVOID ENEMY ARBITER.

Continue to make warthogs until your population is at five, then research gunner for your warthogs. Continue to make warthogs and build and upgrade supply pads.

As soon as your gunner research finishes, send your warthogs to an enemy base and start killing scouts, infantry, warehouses, supply pads, and whatever looks vulnerable. Remember to ALWAYS BE MOVING your warthogs and never stay in the same spot for too long or you will get killed by a leader or leader power. Remember to keep making warthogs and upgrading supply pads the whole time.

IF there is an enemy arbiter, try to never have all your warthogs in the same place, and avoid the arbiter. The arbiter can kill all of your warthogs at once, so don’t give him the opportunity. The arbiter is the hardest leader for anders to fight, so if you can deal with him you can deal with anyone.

When you can upgrade no more supply pads, upgrade your base and build another reactor, then get grenadier. Build another reactor, then get gauss cannon. Immediately after you select gauss cannon, sell a reactor and replace it with a field armory. Get another base and research reserves when the field armory finishes. Get as many bases as you can!

This is the fun part. Once you have gauss cannon and reserves, start making warthogs out of all your bases and send them to DESTROY anything that doesn’t have tanks protecting it. You can even Y-button ram an arbiter to death! Use hit and run tactics. Kill bases and anything that is vulnerable, and run away when the enemy’s army shows up and go attack another base. Be as annoying as you can.


Sorry if these are too complicated, I assume that you know how to play RTS’s and that I could be a little more descriptive than I normally would with a beginner. I would try playing Skirmish against the computer on easy to practice doing these before going online.

Remember that these are just easy strategies to start with and that much more is required to beat good people. I’m sure that people will tell you many different things, but in my experience sitting down with new players and teaching them one of these two strategies allows them to get off to a good start. Good luck =)

Anders is the hardest unsc…

I feel forge is the easiest UNSC. For new people that is. A little less micro since you don’t have to worry about upgrading your supply pads. Anders is the hardest UNSC, alot of micro. Alot of people in this game freak out if you rush. Just ignore them because they do not know how to play the game properly. I really hate when people say its ruining the RTS game. But halo wars isn’t like any other rts game. It is somewhat balanced… but I fell gauss warthogs are OP because once you get the 3rd tech /upgrade gauss you don’t need a reactor, you just expand and mass supply hogs which is reallllyyyy annoying if you are getting attacked by a full population of them. Just rush to slow down the enemy units to allow yourself to build up. In high level games they rarely last more than 15 minutes.

Of course Anders is complicated at a high level, but I’m talking about low level games here. I don’t think that Anders is hard at all at a low level, you just make Warthogs all game lol.

Macro is probably a lot easier with Forge though, I didn’t think about that.

Macro UNSC is very easy for unit production. For 3v3, you start with Hogs on Dean and Frozen, then, if you’re Cutter or Forge, you mainline either Tanks or Gauss (depending on the opposing combo) for the rest of the game. On Exile, you always go for your Reactor hooks to get early PT into a triple-pump. On any map with Anders, however, you can almost always go Gauss, even in HL games, regardless of the other team’s combo. Anders has the easiest unit macro, but the hardest micro. I disagree with Anders being completely reliant on Gauss, but it’s a viable strategy for Anders nonetheless.

Still, unit placement is one of the hardest things about playing Anders and it’s something that Forge and Cutter don’t have to worry about as often. From the moment Anders gets Gunners, it’s her job to contribute heavily to the early-game, which is not necessarily the case with Forge or Cutter, who both generally have to expand first before going out with their Hogs.

But, the biggest reasons not to use Anders until you have a handle on UNSC is because of the high aptitude for micro she requires in addition to her economy. Anders has the worst economy of all three UNSCs (because of upgrading bases), which means that her units count for a greater portion of her money supply than do her opponent’s units, so you can’t lose too many before you’re in trouble with Anders.

In the end, Anders works so well only because she can push far earlier than any other UNSC. For a developing player, this kind of tactic will be hard to cope with. It’s far smarter to get started with Forge because of his mid-game boom. You are not expected to contribute to the early-game with Forge because you need to carry the mid-game, which gives you time to build up, so he’s the obvious choice for learning players.

For 3s, btw, just don’t use Cutter. His Gauss blows on Frozen and can’t hardly keep up with Forge or Anders. Cutter, by far, is also the worst UNSC when stuck on one base, which will happen often on Dean. So, Cutter’s safest map is Exile. That’s not to say he can’t be good on Dean or Frozen, but it’s so much easier to be good with Forge on both of those maps. Having great chances 1/4 of the time (+Glacial) isn’t enough to make me want to use Cutter for 3s.

> Anders is the hardest unsc…

But also the most versatile, Pus you can switch your build at a moments notice.

> Anders is the hardest unsc…

Yeah Anders makes me the hardest.

> Word of advice, if someone chooses any leader, play defensive. They WILL rush you.

Fixed

Yea a lot of people still play, you can see how many players are in each playlist if you look at the playlist dropdown menu. It doesn’t take much population to fill up games, since you only need 5 other ppl for a 15-30 minute game. It also depends on where you live, most players are from US/Can/Mexico/UK so if you play in the peak hours of those countries you’ll always have a game. I’ve never waiting more than 20s for a game

I’m still not sure if Halo 4 will decrease the population or increase it. Most HW players are halo fans, I certainly bought HW because I played the fpses. But if people join the franchise with 4, they’ll want to check out Halo wars.

Was able to squeeze a couple games in this morning before the girlfriend woke up(she takes over and Plays Reach) and wow. So far everyone I have played with has been very chill and friendly. Glad I got the game again.

I still play it, campaign mostly though.
I never really got into MP on Halo Wars, almost everybody rushes to your Base.

> I still play it, campaign mostly though.
> I never really got into MP on Halo Wars, almost everybody rushes to your Base.

You just are supposed to counter. Though so far it seems like half viable strategies from other RTS, even console RTS have been removed unfortunately.

> > I still play it, campaign mostly though.
> > I never really got into MP on Halo Wars, almost everybody rushes to your Base.
>
> You just are supposed to counter. Though so far it seems like half viable strategies from other RTS, even console RTS have been removed unfortunately.

From my experience, most “kinds” of strategies are still viable, people just don’t realize that you have to earn it by surviving the early game. If you can handle yourself early on, you can do whatever you find that works IMO.

Too many people just say “I’m gonna get stars on my Brute!” or “I’m going to get some Spartan Tanks!” or “I’m going to get an army with this cool unit in it!” and then they try to do only that and just die. Don’t be one of those people lol.