Do forge maps get boring?

I am not one of the Reach haters, I love Reach, but am I the only one who thinks the Forge maps just feel the same no matter what? I can play a large open forge map and then go on to play a QCQ map and I would feel like it is the same map.

I never felt like this in Halo 3 and I hope Halo 4 fixes this issue.

Its quite time consuming…Thats all i can tell you.

YES! BORING AS HELL!

Great idea to make one giant sandbox. Just include some more ACTUAL MAPS.

Sandbox creations from the developer are not actual maps. They all got the same style: gray floaty blocks.

If you think playing forged maps is boring, you’re not playing the right maps. It’s difficult to find good ones, but there are many better than the default maps. The only reason those maps aren’t in matchmaking is because they have framerate lag with splitscreen and 343 would rather cater to splitscreen players in matchmaking than the general population.

A large part of feeling like you’re playing on the same map is that people don’t take the time to give their maps a unique feel. The ones where people have done that though are all the more exceptional.

I like all forge maps, never got bored of any of it.

I’m just tired of see alot of gray.

> If you think playing forged maps is boring, you’re not playing the right maps. It’s difficult to find good ones, but there are many better than the default maps. The only reason those maps aren’t in matchmaking is because they have framerate lag with splitscreen and 343 would rather cater to splitscreen players in matchmaking than the general population.
>
> A large part of feeling like you’re playing on the same map is that people don’t take the time to give their maps a unique feel. The ones where people have done that though are all the more exceptional.

Like BranchyToaster said: I’m just tired of see alot of gray.

Just like I’m not playing orange maps in Source games all the time.

Forge world maps have a great variety of different map layouts. But a map is more than just layout. Lightning, design and location all matter. And there are some things you just can’t create in Forge world.

It also lacks the variety of Forge objects seen in Halo 3. Just a lot of gray boxes.

Also, Forge world should be there for the community to create new maps. Developers create maps with powerful map creation tools and have a lot of designers. Putting Forge world variants as Retail maps on the disk is lazy and unprofessional.

Forge maps just need more killballs. And hopefully 343 is able to make the halo 4 engine not fail so hard when people play splitscreen so some forged maps can be included in more places.

I’m undecided on this particular issue. It’s kind of a gray area to me.

> If you think playing forged maps is boring, you’re not playing the right maps. It’s difficult to find good ones, but there are many better than the default maps. The only reason those maps aren’t in matchmaking is because they have framerate lag with splitscreen and 343 would rather cater to splitscreen players in matchmaking than the general population.
>
> A large part of feeling like you’re playing on the same map is that people don’t take the time to give their maps a unique feel. The ones where people have done that though are all the more exceptional.

This. When you play a good forge map, with good texture etc. you can tell.

Most of the maps you see are the same, grayscale boringness. But if you check out some maps that don’t get into matchmaking (The Halo Forge Epidemic, Forge Hub, etc.) you can find some reallllyyyy good maps.

The ones they upload to matchmaking feel like garbage to me, most of them just bland and tasteless. When you get into a good map you can tell.

Forge World maps suck -Yoink- and make this game not worth playing.

It’s the main reason I get bored so fast in Reach. I almost never pick it cept for Asylum/Sanctuary, and I never allow Forge World clips in my montages. (makes Reach montages look infinitely more appealing IMO)

I agree forge world maps are boring to look at no matter how different the layout is.
if they were to make it so you could either change the textures on the grey walls/blocks or even change the terrain to sand or snow etc that would allow for more variety and make them look less dull and more appealing in the long term.

> I’m undecided on this particular issue. It’s kind of a gray area to me.

LOL!

> I am not one of the Reach haters, I love Reach, but am I the only one who thinks the Forge maps just feel the same no matter what? I can play a large open forge map and then go on to play a QCQ map and I would feel like it is the same map.
>
> I never felt like this in Halo 3 and I hope Halo 4 fixes this issue.

Completly agree. I hate the forge maps with a passion. Seriosuly I miss being able to play my dlc/default maps, I have paid for these dlc, expect to see them. Halo 2 was great for matchmaking because it made sure people could remember classic maps while reach clutters with the abomination known as forge maps to the point where we barely see anything but grey textures.

I have said this countless times and I’ll say it again <mark>‘Forge maps need to stay the hell away from matchmaking, stay in custom games only’</mark>

I agree with alot of what everyone is saying. I have played on some pretty fun Forge maps, but ive also played on some pretty crappy forge maps as well, and i think the real issue that makes the difference between a good/bad forge map is the uniqueness of the map in question.

I know alot of the BTB forge maps ive played on were less than spectacular, especially some of the first wave community creations that were integrated into matchmaking. There were a couple of BTB Forge Maps i enjoyed though (i’ll have to search my saved videos for their names)

However, alot of the forge maps that i encountered (back in the day) in Team Slayer were pretty unique. It’s been a while since ive consistently played Team slayer, so i dont have a good grasp on what the current Forge maps in TS matchmaking are like, but i do share the opinion that the abundance of Gray textures do get boring pretty quick, especially if you are forced to play on the same rotation of maps over and over again.

There are some pretty awesome Forge creators out there, that make some pretty awesome maps - visually awesome, and also fun when it comes to actual gameplay/gametypes. I’m sure they spend untold amounts of time perfecting each aspect of the map, and i think those great creators are often thrown under the bus when simple, bland, unexciting Forge maps are thrown into matchmaking, instead of unique thoughtful and fun inducing Forge maps that were well planned out by people that took pride in what they were creating.

The default Reach maps are bad. It just turns out the matchmaking forge maps suck too.

> The default Reach maps are bad. It just turns out the matchmaking forge maps suck too.

Not there not. Nowhere near as bad as ten billion grey forge worlds sheesh. It’s like Bungie only know about grey textures. The only way why we have so many horrible forge maps is people are too lazy to buy dlc, been spoon fed with those horrible forge maps.

Plus they took our dlc away so there is nearly nothing but forge maps.

I dont really care how a map looks. If its a boring map, it gets boring. If its a fun map it doesn’t. To be honest, I get more tired of some of the default maps (Sword Base, Reflection, Countdown) than many forge maps just because of the style of gameplay that they produce.

I do understand how the gray/green/blue can cause a lot of people to get bored. It would have been nice if they would have incorporated skins or even colors for forge objects.

> I dont really care how a map looks. If its a boring map, it gets boring. If its a fun map it doesn’t. To be honest, I get more tired of some of the default maps (Sword Base, Reflection, Countdown) than many forge maps just because of the style of gameplay that they produce.
>
> I do understand how the gray/green/blue can cause a lot of people to get bored. It would have been nice if they would have incorporated skins or even colors for forge objects.

Here’s a better solition buy dlc, find more dlc maps in the dlc playlists…Oh wait a second they took those away to shove forge maps down our throats.

Anyway I never get tired of these maps:
Boardwalk, Boneyard, Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection
Spire, Sword Base, Zealot

But we barely ever see them. That’s 8 fun maps that I wouldn’t mind playing in big team but they never bother show up. Oh, I would understand if they didn’t show up as often if the dlc maps were added like the 3 different map packs which could up to around 12 more maps. Maybe even turn firefight maps into multiplayer maps.

Instead of 20 maps that I paid for I see nothing but forge maps. See the frustration yet? Oh, that’s without the firefight matches.

So in short we could have 32 multiplayer maps but instead all we get is forge map after forge map. This best not happen in halo 4 or it will mean the ‘wargames’ pass will be pretty useless.

Several people claim dlc is in the playlists, I have said this countless times I shouldn’t be forced to play 200+ games in the hope a dlc map might bother showing up.

Even though people claim the dlc is in most playlists see here.

I shouldn’t been forced to party up with 8 people just for the hope a dlc I like might pop up. I remember back in halo 2 we didn’t have this problem because they were always more likely to turn up but ever since forge was introduced it was plagued halo 3/reach ever sense and has been a major annoyance. Even now all 343i care about is community made maps, because people weren’t interested in them they forced people into other playlists by removing the dlc playlists.

Sorry if this seems like a rant but haven’t forgiven 343i yet since the horrible august update. I’m normally ok with game changes like messing around with the bloom, etc… but when they took away the maps that I loved it which annoyed me.