DMR vs BR... Why not both?

I know this topic has been beaten beyond death but I still want to discuss it.

Instead of just BR or DMR in Halo 4, why can’t we have both? Well the first thing that comes to mind is that they would both be playing the same role in the game which would make having one or the other redundant. Another negative would be that more players might prefer a certain one over another which again would make one redundant.

How do we fix this problem without adding a whole new weapon or having two of the same weapons with the same role? My suggestion would be to emphasize the role of both weapons.

DMR - Emphasize medium/long distance gameplay. The DMR is decent for long distance battles with the great accuracy it has and the high damage of each bullet. The downside to the DMR the bloom and the rate of fire which makes it harder to use in close quarters.

BR - Emphasize close/medium range. It is very powerful in close/medium range battles because of the burst fire. The bullet spread of the BR makes it horrible at longer distances but is possible.

If both play well in the roles they are given then it could be a solution to having both weapons in the game and pleasing everybody. However, the next unavoidable debate would be which weapons you get to spawn with in certain game types. My only solution to that would be to let the player choose which weapon they prefer to spawn with (similar to Gears 3).

Suggestions/thoughts? Also, please no flaming each other. People have preferences and that doesn’t make them stupid, dumb, etc.

Well hopefully we won’t have to deal with bloom because imo it was just terrible but besides that its a good idea.

BR, 'Nuff said.

I would prefer they just make a new weapon that lets us switch between single shot and 3 shot bursts.

I would like this in a real battle there would be more then one type of Rifle on the battlefield .

This just wouldn’t work in halo.

I seriously loved the suggestion I read not too long ago, where you would have a single utility weapon that could switch functions between BR and DMR-type scenarios. Both setting would function exactly as its counterpart would, and would also allow for a great amount of strategy to be added.

Say you’re going in for the long haul, and don’t intend to die very quickly. You would switch to single shot to conserve ammo. Same for if you are starting to run low on ammo.

Whereas say you’re running around “willy nilly”, so to speak. You would keep the setting on burst because you don’t really care about the conservation of ammo.

I don’t think I can be not at least slightly disappointed if they don’t do it this way. It would be the best of both worlds.

> I seriously loved the suggestion I read not too long ago, where you would have a single utility weapon that could switch functions between BR and DMR-type scenarios. Both setting would function exactly as its counterpart would, and would also allow for a great amount of strategy to be added.
>
> Say you’re going in for the long haul, and don’t intend to die very quickly. You would switch to single shot to conserve ammo. Same for if you are starting to run low on ammo.
>
> Whereas say you’re running around “willy nilly”, so to speak. You would keep the setting on burst because you don’t really care about the conservation of ammo.
>
> I don’t think I can be not at least slightly disappointed if they don’t do it this way. It would be the best of both worlds.

The main negative to that suggestion would be that the gun would be just too powerful in all circumstances.

> This just wouldn’t work in halo.

I don’t see why not. This could be the solution to all the bickering back and forth about the two guns. Also, variety ftw?

> I would prefer they just make a new weapon that lets us switch between single shot and 3 shot bursts.

agreed, I hate both weapons. we need a new one.

If this was a BR v DMR thread i would vote for BR without a doubt, the gun itself is Halo as far as i am concerned :wink: anyhoo the chances of a DMR making a comeback are extremely slim canon-wise as is a new weapon that supersedes the BR, i just dont see how they could explain a new BR/DMR type weapon magically appearing on the Forward unto Dawn after the events of Halo 3.

Ah the Battle Rifle, legendary 3 round burst of love <3

> If this was a BR v DMR thread i would vote for BR without a doubt, the gun itself is Halo as far as i am concerned :wink: anyhoo the chances of a DMR making a comeback are extremely slim canon-wise as is a new weapon that supersedes the BR, i just dont see how they could explain a new BR/DMR type weapon magically appearing on the Forward unto Dawn after the events of Halo 3.
>
> Ah the Battle Rifle, legendary 3 round burst of love <3

Yep, not a BR vs DMR thread :wink:

Just trying to please everybody. I don’t fully support either weapon over the other because they both have their purposes. (which is why it would be nice to see both)

> > If this was a BR v DMR thread i would vote for BR without a doubt, the gun itself is Halo as far as i am concerned :wink: anyhoo the chances of a DMR making a comeback are extremely slim canon-wise as is a new weapon that supersedes the BR, i just dont see how they could explain a new BR/DMR type weapon magically appearing on the Forward unto Dawn after the events of Halo 3.
> >
> > Ah the Battle Rifle, legendary 3 round burst of love <3
>
> Yep, not a BR vs DMR thread :wink:
>
> Just trying to please everybody. I don’t fully support either weapon over the other because they both have their purposes. (which is why it would be nice to see both)

Yeah hence the ‘If’ :wink:

But i do understand what you mean by the purpose of this thread but wouldn’t two different rifle’s fitting the same purpose (more or less) cause balancing problems? also another thread i saw about the ability to toggle between a 3 shot burst and single shot would also cause all kind’s of problems.

But at the end of the day my love of the BR remains defiant >:] so my opinion is biased. (and probably irrelevant!).

> > > If this was a BR v DMR thread i would vote for BR without a doubt, the gun itself is Halo as far as i am concerned :wink: anyhoo the chances of a DMR making a comeback are extremely slim canon-wise as is a new weapon that supersedes the BR, i just dont see how they could explain a new BR/DMR type weapon magically appearing on the Forward unto Dawn after the events of Halo 3.
> > >
> > > Ah the Battle Rifle, legendary 3 round burst of love <3
> >
> > Yep, not a BR vs DMR thread :wink:
> >
> > Just trying to please everybody. I don’t fully support either weapon over the other because they both have their purposes. (which is why it would be nice to see both)
>
> Yeah hence the ‘If’ :wink:
>
> But i do understand what you mean by the purpose of this thread but wouldn’t two different rifle’s fitting the same purpose (more or less) cause balancing problems? also another thread i saw about the ability to toggle between a 3 shot burst and single shot would also cause all kind’s of problems.
>
> But at the end of the day my love of the BR remains defiant >:] so my opinion is biased. (and probably irrelevant!).

NO BR FANBOYS ALLOWED!!!111111111

> > > > If this was a BR v DMR thread i would vote for BR without a doubt, the gun itself is Halo as far as i am concerned :wink: anyhoo the chances of a DMR making a comeback are extremely slim canon-wise as is a new weapon that supersedes the BR, i just dont see how they could explain a new BR/DMR type weapon magically appearing on the Forward unto Dawn after the events of Halo 3.
> > > >
> > > > Ah the Battle Rifle, legendary 3 round burst of love <3
> > >
> > > Yep, not a BR vs DMR thread :wink:
> > >
> > > Just trying to please everybody. I don’t fully support either weapon over the other because they both have their purposes. (which is why it would be nice to see both)
> >
> > Yeah hence the ‘If’ :wink:
> >
> > But i do understand what you mean by the purpose of this thread but wouldn’t two different rifle’s fitting the same purpose (more or less) cause balancing problems? also another thread i saw about the ability to toggle between a 3 shot burst and single shot would also cause all kind’s of problems.
> >
> > But at the end of the day my love of the BR remains defiant >:] so my opinion is biased. (and probably irrelevant!).
>
> NO BR FANBOYS ALLOWED!!!111111111

LIES, BR > DMR! UMADBRO? COME AT ME BRO! etc etc :D!

Why NOT both?

Eh. I don’t see why not. Adds variety, and the MLG dudes can just pick one for their little competitions.

I’d enjoy picking a specific precision weapon for a given scenario in firefight or campaign. The guns are just a part of the game anyway. Anyone can just reduce the game to weapon tiers or spread sheets. I’m in it for the badassness.

Plus, let’s not forget the pistol, folks. I’d like to see both the Reach and the Halo 2 pistol. :3 Dual Wielding those would make me feel like John Woo.

:smiley:

Abusing the text size feature. And you can’t stop me.

> :smiley:
>
> Abusing the text size feature. And you can’t stop me.

This is an unexpected complication!

> Why NOT both?
>
> Eh. I don’t see why not. Adds variety, and the MLG dudes can just pick one for their little competitions.
>
> I’d enjoy picking a specific precision weapon for a given scenario in firefight or campaign. The guns are just a part of the game anyway. Anyone can just reduce the game to weapon tiers or spread sheets. I’m in it for the badassness.
>
> Plus, let’s not forget the pistol, folks. I’d like to see both the Reach and the Halo 2 pistol. :3 Dual Wielding those would make me feel like John Woo.
>
> :smiley:
>
> Abusing the text size feature. And you can’t stop me.

Oh I didn’t forget about the pistols. However, do you think 343 will bring back dual wielding?

> I would prefer they just make a new weapon that lets us switch between single shot and 3 shot bursts.

Are you suggesting selective fire?

> > I would prefer they just make a new weapon that lets us switch between single shot and 3 shot bursts.
>
> Are you suggesting selective fire?

No he’s suggesting a new type of bread…OF COURSE HE"S SUGGESTING SELECTIVE FIRE!