DMR returning.....regarding canon

I know there are lots of threads on this already but I have a question.

Wasn’t the DMR a prototype for the BR?

I am quite confused because the DMR was on reach, and the BR was introduced in Halo 2 (I mean the timeline not the order the games came out), so doesn’t that mean the DMR is just a crappier version of the BR?

and just to clarify, I am all for the DMR coming back in Halo 4, but im confused as to why it is being put in if they want to follow canon.

> I know there are lots of threads on this already but I have a question.
>
> Wasn’t the DMR a prototype for the BR?
>
> I am quite confused because the DMR was on reach, and the BR was introduced in Halo 2 (I mean the timeline not the order the games came out), so doesn’t that mean the DMR is just a crappier version of the BR?
>
>
> and just to clarify, I am all for the DMR coming back in Halo 4, but im confused as to why it is being put in if they want to follow canon.

The DMR is not a prototype, it’s a separate weapon from the BR.

The DMR was rifle that was used throughout the UNSC until it the wide-spread use of the BR. Both weapons serve similar combat roles, but are unrelated to one another

> I know there are lots of threads on this already but I have a question.
>
> Wasn’t the DMR a prototype for the BR?
>
> I am quite confused because the DMR was on reach, and the BR was introduced in Halo 2 (I mean the timeline not the order the games came out), so doesn’t that mean the DMR is just a crappier version of the BR?
>
>
> and just to clarify, I am all for the DMR coming back in Halo 4, but im confused as to why it is being put in if they want to follow canon.

I follow you man. I don’t get it at all.

Here and here

You’re Welcome

> > I know there are lots of threads on this already but I have a question.
> >
> > Wasn’t the DMR a prototype for the BR?
> >
> > I am quite confused because the DMR was on reach, and the BR was introduced in Halo 2 (I mean the timeline not the order the games came out), so doesn’t that mean the DMR is just a crappier version of the BR?
> >
> >
> > and just to clarify, I am all for the DMR coming back in Halo 4, but im confused as to why it is being put in if they want to follow canon.
>
> The DMR has not been confirmed to return, only a “DMR-like weapon.” Even if it where to return, it is not a prototype, it’s a separate weapon from the BR.
>
> The DMR was rifle that was used throughout the UNSC until it the wide-spread use of the BR. Both weapons serve similar combat roles, but are unrelated to one another

OK, thank you for filling me in.

DMR was not the BR’s prototype they are separate weapons. DMR was used by Army, BR by Navy and almost everybody else.

Dmr and BR will be returning for variety of percision weapons.

> >
> >
> > I am quite confused because the DMR was on reach, and the BR was introduced in Halo 2 (I mean the timeline not the order the games came out), so doesn’t that mean the DMR is just a crappier version of the BR?
> >
> >
> > and just to clarify, I am all for the DMR coming back in Halo 4, but im confused as to why it is being put in if they want to follow canon.
>
> The DMR has not been confirmed to return, only a “DMR-like weapon.” Even if it where to return, it is not a prototype, it’s a separate weapon from the BR.
>
> The DMR was rifle that was used throughout the UNSC until it the wide-spread use of the BR. Both weapons serve similar combat roles, but are unrelated to one another

DMR is confirmed now

> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>

It was confirmed recently.

> > The DMR has not been confirmed to return,
>
> Yes, it was.
>
>
> OP, who cares about cannon?
>
> Gameplay > Cannon.

> > > The DMR has not been confirmed to return,
> >
> > Yes, it was.
> >
> >
> > OP, who cares about cannon?
> >
> > Gameplay > Cannon.
>
> Quite a lot of people care about canon. Quite a lot of people buy Halo soley for the story of the game. If the DMR is suddenly re-introduced for no reason, I can guarantee that a fair amount of people will be annoyed about it. Same for the perks system and the sprint.

> > > > The DMR has not been confirmed to return,
> > >
> > > Yes, it was.
> > >
> > >
> > > OP, who cares about cannon?
> > >
> > > Gameplay > Cannon.
> >
> > Quite a lot of people care about canon. Quite a lot of people buy Halo soley for the story of the game. If the DMR is suddenly re-introduced for no reason, I can guarantee that a fair amount of people will be annoyed about it. Same for the perks system and the sprint.
>
> Well it’s in the game. There is obviously a reason.

The Battle Rifle was being prototyped in 2525, before the war with the Covenant began. Meanwhile, the rest of the UNSC was using the DMR. Then as the years went by, the Battle Rifle slowly replaced the DMR in all forces except the UNSC Army (which you fight along side with 90% of the time in Halo Reach). The marines, which we see in the other Halo games, use the Battle Rifle.

So, either:

• A new version of the DMR has been made and is used alongside the Battle Rifle by the marines.

• The UNSC Army are in the game (highly doubtful as the Army is used for defensive purposes).

• Older UNSC forces have been stranded on the “Legendary” planet and are still using older weapons (maybe they don’t know the war is over either?).

I’m pretty sure 343 will have plenty of good reasons. I mean, they made a little backstory piece as to why the Shotgun in Halo Anniversary (M45E) is a different shotgun to the one originally seen in CE (M90).

> The Battle Rifle was being prototyped in 2525, before the war with the Covenant began. Meanwhile, the rest of the UNSC was using the DMR. Then as the years went by, the Battle Rifle slowly replaced the DMR in all forces except the UNSC Army (which you fight along side with 90% of the time in Halo Reach). The marines, which we see in the other Halo games, use the Battle Rifle.
>
> So, either:
>
> - A new version of the DMR has been made and is used alongside the Battle Rifle by the marines.
>
> - The UNSC Army are in the game (highly doubtful as the Army is used for defensive purposes).
>
> - Older UNSC forces have been stranded on the “Legendary” planet and are still using older weapons (maybe they don’t know the war is over either?).
>
> I’m pretty sure 343 will have plenty of good reasons. I mean, they made a little backstory piece as to why the Shotgun in Halo Anniversary (M45E) is a different shotgun to the one originally seen in CE (M90).

Regarding canon, why don’t some marines just FEEL like using the DMR? It’s like how the U.S. army still has older weapons but the soldiers will only use the newer weaponry because they are NEWER and BETTER.

Uh actually the BR was introduced earlier than the events of Halo 2 and actually found ON Reach.

I doubt the DMR that the OP thinking of is going to come back, the only branch that ever uses it anymore is the UNSC Army, everyone else adopted the BR.

> Regarding canon, why don’t some marines just FEEL like using the DMR? It’s like how the U.S. army still has older weapons but the soldiers will only use the newer weaponry because they are NEWER and BETTER.

Same reason why most modern-day soldiers can’t run around using an AK-47. You use what you’re given. The Marines are given Battle Rifles while the Army Troopers are given DMRs.

The DMR is an older DESIGN, but it’s been updated over the years, just like every other weapon has. The Army Troopers aren’t given 20 year old weapons to use.

> Uh actually the BR was introduced earlier than the events of Halo 2 and actually found ON Reach.

The Battle Rifle was being prototyped in 2525, 27 years before the events of Halo 2. What do you mean by “it was found on Reach”?

I hope something like the BR returns, it was a much better gun. I enjoyed using it more, the DMR is a bit crappy in my opinion.

> I hope something like the BR returns, it was a much better gun. I enjoyed using it more, the DMR is a bit crappy in my opinion.

You do realise the Battle Rifle is in the game right?

> DMR was not the BR’s prototype they are separate weapons. DMR was used by Army, BR by Navy and almost everybody else.
>
> Dmr and BR will be returning for variety of percision weapons.

The DMR and BR are only standard issue for the UNSC Army and UNSC Marines respectively. It doesn’t mean only those forces are exclusively able to use them. If a Marine comes across a DMR and has the need to use it, they’ll use it. And a Spartan will use any weapon at their disposal. Considering that the Spartan-IV project uses forces from multiple branches of the UNSC military, I would’t doubt that they have more varying armaments at their disposal.