DMR, patches, CoD, 343, Regicide, and AAs

I know this thread is mostly a joke thread, but it makes a valid point, even if its not the one the OP meant.

I have seen a hundred complaint threads about this game.

I have seen just as many “343 is doing nothing and has ruined Halo.” threads.

On the deluded Forum goers.

These forums are maybe 2% of the population of halo. The fact is the majority of Halo players (there are always exceptions) don’t have any problems with the game, and people mostly only come here to complain. They are playing it rather than griping about it online, which is what the web is for. The worst thing 343 could do to ruin this game is listen to every complaint. It is because they truly love halo that they aren’t changing every little thing to appease this vocal minority. The TU for Reach is a great example. They jumped up to “fix” that and it was the least played playlist, because most people didn’t care, or even like the changes. You can say what you will about skill and true halo and all your opinions but here is a fact. Halo is a flagship AAA title. It needs population. If it doesn’t have that, it is not successful. If more people are playing one thing, they will continue it. The forums at most are a secondary or third concern for 343. What they look at are in game stats. I think before they Nerf or Change anything they should make a mandatory multiple choice survey on the Halo 4 loadup screen to get a REAL idea of what player want, not just the players who take the time to come here and complain because they lose a battle to a DMR.

On the DMR and blance

The worst case of imbalance in this game is the DMR and even that is closer to balance than ANY OTHER HALO has ever been. We are talking about a fraction of a second quicker kill time and everyone seems to bash it. I can’t remember another Halo where 1 week in it wasn’t established that one gun ruled them all. The DMR is far from that, I still only see about 1/3 of people using it over all. Sure on Ragnarok its closer to 3/4 but that is a distance map and it is the best distance weapon (short of the true sniper rifles) so it makes sense. This is a game where we have several fully auto weapons, where for the first time in Halo history, they are viable weapons. We have two pistols that serve entirely different roles and can still compete with each other. We have a SKILL driven DMR that is powerful and unforgiving, we have a BR that is slightly weaker but much more forgiving, and the crazy fast carbine that when used correctly is a force to be reckoned with. I do not think the DMR is OP, I think that because it is such a skill based weapon, this is an opinion mind you, that the skill factor is the reason it seems so OP. Because it is so unforgiving, unlike the BR where you can spray, that its hit or miss, that the ones who tend to use it most are the better players, because they can. And when a good player gets a good tool, that punishes sloppy play and rewards spot on accuracy, it will seem OP, but then again what won’t in the right hands? Can’t deal with the DMR? Learn to Dance.

On AA’s

Honestly I think the AA in this game are top notch. I never minded the JP and it seems its been nerfed perfectly, it is still used, but never abused. I would prefer a bubble shield/drop shield to the regeneration field, but that is because I found it cooler in general. The idea of deplorable cover was cool, but that preference. The Regen field serves the same purpose but allows action to continue so I can see why it was chosen. The hologram is what it should have been in Reach. People fall for it, but as I have seen before, it’s mostly the gungho I dont care kill kill kill booooom people that do the most. It is great as it is. Even the Auto turret rocks. It is an early warning system and can give you that 1 shot advantage you need on someone who is getting the drop on you but it wont by any means let you take down a pack of people.

On Regicide

It is not FFA. It is a objective based FFA. I think the people who are saying it should be replaced with lone wolves are just as dumb as the ones sayings its better. It’s different, we will have both playlists soon, and thats the way it should be.

to 343

You guys have done a great job OVERALL. I can find several things in the game I don’t like and a million I do. Even the best games have flaws, and for your first go, at such a cherished title as Halo, with a clearly ravenous core fanbase, I think you couldn’t have done much better. Their will always be complainers. You are onto something. Thank you for not giving me the same game I already have on my shelf. This isn’t Madden. It isn’t CoD. When you read this forums take them with a grain of salt and please, please, don’t change to much, you have a wonderfully balanced game over all.

The nature of "the patch"

Todays game market is different, with patches everyone expects a game to be fixes and changes to suit their tastes. When Halo 1 came out that didn’t exist on console and you dealt with what you had. The game set down the rules and you adapted, it is the way gaming has always been until recently. I don’t remember growing up and thinking something was unfair in a game and expecting it to change. That is so ridiculous. I would adapt, get better, and beat it, and feel better for doing so.

CoD comparisons.

The game industry evolves. CoD owes a large portion of its success directly to Halo, who made the 1st person console shooter a viable option. Sure ordinance, kill cams, scoring, and loadouts might seem very CoDish, but they are small factors over all. Lets consider this. Do you remember the CoD before halo. You couldn’t use a grenade or gun at the same time without cycling through your weapons, never mind the melee. This is a CORE STAPLE concept in every FPS on consoles today. If CoD didn’t take this idea, they would never have made it. It would be equally stupid for Halo not to borrow back a few ideas that work. At least we don’t have choppers flying in and getting half your kills for you.

Plus the two games are very slimier but vary different. One is a military shooter, the other is a sci-fi shooter. More so, one is a extremely fast kill time pot shot fest, and the other is more gladiatorial combat.

tl;dr, I know. But manly I don’t want 343 changing to much because a few people complain about the same things day in day out. Look at the population playing the game 343, go ask them directly, not the web griefers.

Fantastic post my friend. We need more of these on this forum.

> tl;dr, I know. But manly I don’t want 343 changing to much because a few people complain about the same things day in day out. Look at the population playing the game 343, go ask them directly, not the web griefers.

I agree OP but 343i shouldnt change a damn thing! It’s there game not everyone elses.

If people dont like Halo 4, they just need to go play Halo Reach or go MAKE and PLAY there OWN game. Halo 4 doesnt need change. Its totally 100% epicelly fine.

DONT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN 343i!

I think these forums give people a disingenuous idea of the population of Halo. They think, "man look at all these complaints about “Whatever” 343 isn’t paying attention! I don’t think they are much more than a very small fraction of the population. If you stare messing with the balance, at this point, it can only get worse, it is already imo, the most balanced Halo game I have played yet. It’s new, its different. If all these flamers where right then why isn’t Halo 3’s pop exploding right now? Maybe even they don’t want the same game but are conflicted because they miss things so they complain and contradict themselves. I mean really, who wants to go pay 60 bucks for the same game again. If you want that, go buy CoD or Madden, they have a great annual recycle policy.

I just hope they don’t do what they did with the TU for reach and assume this vocal minority speaks for the Halo crowd and wreck the game.

I came to this thread expecting to lose yet another piece of my respect for this community. Instead, I find myself feeling as if a portion of my faith in the Halo community has been restored. Thank you for taking the time to write this thread.

343 is trying to make a game that will be enjoyed by over a million people, each with different taste when it comes to “fun”. Like the OP, I have a few things I would have changed or done differently, but when I take a step back and look at the big picture, I just know that I’m having fun, and that’s why I bought the game.

Thank for 343 for doing your best. I have 3 friends that were debating on if they were going to be playing COD or Halo more. After a day or two of COD, all 3 have returned to Halo. Add to that, they are convincing some of their friends that after having tried both games, halo is just plainly and simply, more fun.

Agreed 100%. I really couldn’t have said it better myself.

I agree with everything you say here;except the part with the DMR balancing. But despite my disagreement on that particular point you are pretty right on the rest of the points.

sure, lets just ignore the -Yoinking!- problems with the game, 343 dont fix anything, because this game is sooooo perfect, as far as i am concerned Halo 3 was the last true Halo game, you people are so blind.

I hear the you are blind, or you are all sheep, comment usually from someone who thinks they are the ones who know it all. I know there are problems, but the game as a whole is great. Like I said I would change a few things but I am not so high and mighty to assume my opinions are the correct ones.

Its the absurdness that the whole game is lame or its perfect, I didn’t say it was either, a game can be shades of grey. I just don’t think they should mess things up for the few are being extreme in there opinions.

I don’t like Regicide. I don’t even like FFA in general. But a points system that isn’t kill based is a little bewildering at this point. Been playing Halo for over 10 yrs or somethin like that, and now its changed. I know its suppose to be a team based game, but that in itself isn’t what I imagine when I think of team based games. But that is just personal preference.

Do I think the DMR is overpowered. Not so much. But I do think it is more versatile in the game as far as what weapon you might use short to long range combat. That in a sense might give off a sense of OP-ness. So you sir are right!

Patching… Well I get what you mean when it comes to patching. We did take what we got with Halo CE. But that’s only because we had to take what they gave us. If you think Bungie wouldn’t have changed the pistol after seeing how monstrous it was, I’d say you were crazy. Those were different times. Now that we can get a patch, I see no harm in asking for certain changes. However I do understand those changes are often viewed as peoples own faults with the game and not necessarily the game itself.

Did 343 do a good job with this game? No doubt they did. Do I have a problem with the fast pace gameplay? A little bit, but its obvious they are trying to keep up with CoD, or at least it feels very much so like it. But to say nothing needs to be changed? There must be something you’ve noticed or at least might have a suggestion for. For instance, I think grenades are kind of ridiculous slap mothers in the face weak. PATCH IT!

> I think before they Nerf or Change anything they should make a mandatory multiple choice survey on the Halo 4 loadup screen to get a REAL idea of what player want, not just the players who take the time to come here and complain because they lose a battle to a DMR.

THIS THIS THIS!!! God I wish more game developers would implement this!

> Agreed 100%. I really couldn’t have said it better myself.

same. Well said.

> to 343
>
> You guys have done a great job OVERALL. I can find several things in the game I don’t like and a million I do. Even the best games have flaws, and for your first go, at such a cherished title as Halo, with a clearly ravenous core fanbase, I think you couldn’t have done much better. Their will always be complainers. You are onto something. Thank you for not giving me the same game I already have on my shelf. This isn’t Madden. It isn’t CoD. When you read this forums take them with a grain of salt and please, please, don’t change to much, you have a wonderfully balanced game over all.

This.

Like with Halo 4, there were bits of the op I didn’t entirely agree with or would have wrote differently had I been the one to write it. However, overall, I agree with the message and what was said here, and the quoted paragraph is perhaps what I agree with most completely.
The are dozens of little things and a few not so little things that worry/annoy me, but when I take a step back and look at what 343 has actually DONE. I am content.

They set out to create a faster-paced, balanced, FUN halo game, and they have succeeded. The gripes are mud stains on the carpet, preventing perfection, but as their first Halo game (and first game period, although they’ve got a crap ton of talent in their repertoire you can’t know if they actually work at max efficiency until you see the product), it is beautiful.

And when Halo 5 comes out in (I assume) 3 years, I’m sure it will be just a few steps closer to the perfection that eluded Halo 4.

Wow, I am amazed by this post, it is extraordinary and just what this forum needs.
You sir are amazing.

Wow that’s a lot of topics. Why don’t we talk about Twinkies too. I’m gonna miss the Twinkies… mmmmmmm.

Personally I think a mufti-choice poll at load up you have to answer would be the best way to get something the crowd really wants. These forums are no where near representing the whole game pop. Would take 2 seconds of your time and could replace those old “double xp weekend” or “super jackpot weekend” posts you used to get on start up of reach

While I overall agree with the OP, he is vastly ignoring the fact that what a lot of these complaints are about is not that they want all of Halo 4 to be their special game, but that options have been removed, which is true.

Custom options are stripped down to the point where standards of every Halo game have been removed. Hell even in Reach you could remove sprint from day 1. There is no Assault, Juggernaut, VIP, OPTIONS for zombies/flood, no choice (which 343 has gone on record saying how that’s what they are about) for classic CTF, no toggles for instant respawn or Join in Progress. The requests aren’t about saying “make matchmaking this way” (maybe for the Join in Progress, more on that later) but about “I would like these BASIC custom options for MY custom games”. These are custom options, again, in EVERY Halo game thus far. Do I have a problem with the DMR? Nope. Do I think all of starting weapons are weaker, no. Are there certain things 343 needs to fix, yes.

Halo 4 is an overall solid game. I am having fun with it and it is the most enjoyable experience I have had online since Halo 2. However they need to make fixes. Kevin Franklin claimed that JiP (Join in Progress) would not put you into games you are about to lose (ie CoD syndrome). Well then they need to seriously patch or fix whatever algorithms are putting people into matches, because I have yet to get a JiP that I am not down by 30 kills/3 caps/150 points. All of my friends too (a good 30 of us, playing every day since release). Do they need to take it out? No, I understand the need for it, I hated playing down a man in past Halos, but the need to make it work, which it isn’t right now. I believe that is a fair “complaint”

On custom options (because this makes no sense, you can’t rationalize it) is that if I want to play a certain custom game, I can’t. Custom games, by definition, the bread and butter of “play your own way” or “have wacky, game altering/breaking/wtf fun” are gone. I play matchmaking to compete, but sometimes I want to play VIP/Assault/classic, H2 zombies. But 343 has decided that my brand of fun isn’t allowed, because every one of those custom games is gone, and you can’t reconstruct them at all.

A better example of this being that if there was no Assault in H3, because Bungie decided “no one played it” we wouldn’t have Grffball, which has gotten so big it now has a dedicated mode. I don’t care if every change I want, or every other joe schmo wants is in matchmaking, but if I want it in custom games, then yes, I should be able to play it, because that doesn’t hurt 343 or the game in any way.

Is Halo 4 solid/good/fun, yes. I am loving it and have been having a blast playing it. Do people need to stop -Yoinking!- needlessly about it? Yes, 100x yes. But you can’t write off the legitimate concerns of people who are making valid points just because you lump them in with the “-Yoinking!-”. And on that same token, blind loyalty and claiming nothing is wrong with the game will only lead to nothing that is legitimately broken getting fixed.

I agree with you OP on everything you said accept for the DMR part. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel about that whole issue at the moment. Compared to the BR, my stats show I have been killed by the DMR more times, but I kill with the BR more. At times the BR did its job well and at other times the DMR did its job well. Also, Regicide is sooo chaotic and fun! I kind am kind of have a love hate relationship with Infinity Slayer at the moment. But anyways, great read!