DMR or DIE.

So, I’ll just cut straight to the point. I’m hating Halo4 right now because close quarters engagements are dead. The kill times have been bumped up dramatically, grenades are more limited(and weaker), and the assault rifle is far behind just about everything else. The thing I always loved about Halo was the way that the game paced out. You had time for strategies and counters. That’s not true anymore.
Close quarters combat is now reduced to either camping by corners, accidentally running into people while you’re trying to use your DMR/BR/Carbine, or if you’re really lucky, sprinting at people and spraying them with an assault rifle or trying for a double melee. (spoiler alert:All precision weapons have much faster kill times even in close quarters)

The close combat is what made Halo what it is. If I wanted to sit in a corner and cross-map people while occasionally checking my radar for someone coming up behind me, then I would play CoD.

Yeah, kill times are too fast with the DMR. When I use it I get people one-shot before they can even react to it.

Often I’ve been scoped in and I’ve barely registered the flinch when the 5th shot hits you.

If there is more than one person that is on you in this game, you’re absolutely screwed unless you have a power weapon. The kill times for everything are insane (including the assault rifle, it just sucks compared to other guns) and it’s killing gameplay. There are really no more choices in how to play. Camp corners, spawn with precision weapons and team shoot, or camp.

When it takes around two seconds to kill with a dmr, that’s absolutely ridiculous. That means that two people can kill someone in around one second, and three can kill someone in about .66 seconds. That’s not how Halo is supposed to be. The slower pacing is what defines Halo.

The DMR is my only problem with this game. Here’s to hoping for a rate of fire nerf for the new utility weapon of Halo.

The DMR sucks for close range, that’s why I use the battle rifle

> So, I’ll just cut straight to the point. I’m hating Halo4 right now because close quarters engagements are dead. The kill times have been bumped up dramatically, grenades are more limited(and weaker), and the assault rifle is far behind just about everything else. The thing I always loved about Halo was the way that the game paced out. You had time for strategies and counters. That’s not true anymore.
> Close quarters combat is now reduced to either camping by corners, accidentally running into people while you’re trying to use your DMR/BR/Carbine, or if you’re really lucky, sprinting at people and spraying them with an assault rifle or trying for a double melee. (spoiler alert:All precision weapons have much faster kill times even in close quarters)
>
> The close combat is what made Halo what it is. If I wanted to sit in a corner and cross-map people while occasionally checking my radar for someone coming up behind me, then I would play CoD.

I still beat peole using DMR with my BR…

People! Trust me here, turn the damage resistance up one notch. THATS Halo. You’ll be amazed.

I pretty much camp now only in CQC like places because im afraid of being blitzed by DMR shots.

Go to 2:43. Explains everything. DMR NEEDS a nerf.

> If there is more than one person that is on you in this game, you’re absolutely screwed unless you have a power weapon. The kill times for everything are insane (including the assault rifle, it just sucks compared to other guns)

Hold the phone. Have you even picked up an AR? That thing is far more powerful than it used to be.

You just need to change the way you play this game. While it feels like Halo the gameplay is much different then what we have known and loved in the past. i was very very frustrated with H4 in the beginning but after I changed how I play I love this game more and more. If a great counter to the DMR is the LR. I started using it last night and find it to be a very powerful weapon.

> The DMR sucks for close range, that’s why I use the battle rifle

My experience has been that even at close range the DMR is king.

> > The DMR sucks for close range, that’s why I use the battle rifle
>
> My experience has been that even at close range the DMR is king.

This. A thousand times this! I’m like a broken record with this; the DMR’s rate of fire needs a nerf.

> I pretty much camp now only in CQC like places because im afraid of being blitzed by DMR shots.

I haven’t gone that far yet but I’m definitely leaning that way. For most maps in Dominion and BTB, and some in team slayer, feature way too long sightlines for there to be much of a contest between the DMR and other weapons. In medium and small maps it’s more balanced but the design of these weapons didn’t do enough to counter the abuses on maps which, by their design, make anything with power and range blatently superior to most other tactics (as opposed to smaller maps which only set a light tone of superiority which skill can overcome.) The result is a lot of ranged camping and not too much movement besides a rogue gost or warthog.

I still say it’s better than Halo Reach, though the DMR is powerful but it’s at least inferior to other weapons (just about everything) at mid to short range plus it’s much harder to offset it’s weaknesses with grenades and melee attacks. We have a way to go to make multiplayer genuinely fun (see: Space Marine) but with a few tweaks (smaller DMR clip, slightly lower ROF, less powerful scope) I think we can get there.

> > If there is more than one person that is on you in this game, you’re absolutely screwed unless you have a power weapon. The kill times for everything are insane (including the assault rifle, it just sucks compared to other guns)
>
> Hold the phone. Have you even picked up an AR? That thing is far more powerful than it used to be.

Yes. I have. Try reading. I said that the kill time on it is insane, however it’s still inferior to just about every other weapon.

The BR may kill a tiny bit too fast at close range too.

The DMR no question is stupidly overpowered, but the BR is a maybe.

Let me get this str8…

OP, you are mad that you can’t just walk around the map like an idiot and survive? And the assault rifle is beastly, that thing murders at close range. They increased the range accuracy and power on it.

The key to succeeding in halo is staying alive. For example, the best skill players usually bring a solid strafe to their gun fights.

> Let me get this str8…
>
> OP, you are mad that you can’t just walk around the map like an idiot and survive? And the assault rifle is beastly, that thing murders at close range. They increased the range accuracy and power on it.
>
> The key to succeeding in halo is staying alive. For example, the best skill players usually bring a solid strafe to their gun fights.

No. You don’t have it str8. I’m not mad because I can’t ‘walk around the map like an idiot’. Yes, the AR has a better kill time than it ever has, but so does everything else. The 2 seconds that it takes to close enough to use the AR effectively however, is more than enough time for a DMR or BR to kill me. You can check my record. I’m not awful at the game, even though I may not be amazing. My problem is that CQ is just a stupid idea at this point. If someone sees me before I’ve closed the gap, then I’m entirely -Yoinked!-. I do use strafe, but that’s not really going to help with the current rate of fire on precision weapons, since misses don’t really effect the fight all that much as long as it’s not more than one.

The thing is that I refuse to camp corners as you’re suggesting that I do.

> Let me get this str8…
>
> OP, you are mad that you can’t just walk around the map like an idiot and survive? And the assault rifle is beastly, that thing murders at close range. They increased the range accuracy and power on it.

And the AR serves it’s purpose well on smaller, more cluttered maps. But when there’s a lot of open ground and long sight lines you can’t bring much against a DMR and expect to do well. The game (in BTB especially) just fosters that sort of gameplay which is a bad thing because it kills variety and, with that, strategy because you only have so much that works to plan against or use. For all intents and purposes you may as well be playing a slower, duller version of swat that stabs at consistency with scattered ordience drops. That may be fine for some people, wierd people that you probably wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time with, but it’s not good game design.

The question isn’t one of skill, it’s how the game is evolving as people get use to what works and what doesn’t. And right now a little too much is going in favor of sitting on a high perch and comfortably picking people off without much thought or anything else besides a paranoid fear of low shields and challenge. It’s dull, it’s boring, and though you can make the case “Well just be more 1337 and it’ll be OK” regardless of how well you do you’re left to suffer a castrated game because of one gun’s slight imbalance (and some level design which exaggerates it.) That’s not Halo at it’s full potential, and however skilled we are it’s not something we should ever want.