DLC solutions

Okay so the first thing I would do is make it so the spartan image thing also has markers that show exactly what DLC each player has. This would make it easier to decide who to party up with if you want to play the DLC.

Next thing I would have is a rotational DLC exclusive playlist. All DLC would be available in the playlist, but each week it would change which DLC pack is required to play. That way if you have one pack you would be able to play the maps for sure for like one week out of like 3 or 4 depending on how many packs are released. However if you have all the maps you will be able to play all the maps with each week changing what maps the playlist focuses on.

I think it’s a good idea discuss this and share your own awesome ideas!

A better idea would be if a certain number of players in a lobby lets just say 2 have dlc maps are playable by everyone in the lobby.

That is a good idea only problem I see is that many wont bother getting the DLC if they can play the maps without buying it.

343i are trying various ways in the studio I’m sure, however this isn’t a horrible idea.

The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.

Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.

Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.

Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.

> The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.
>
> Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.
>
> Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.
>
> Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.

I wish DLC would be free. I would much prefer to have to pay $10 more and have all DLC free.

Halo 3, most playlist required DLC or could not be played. This forced people to but the DLC to get full use of Halo 3. And as everyone pretty much had the DLC it benefited everyone.

I also think what ODST did was great. Having the Multi-Player same as Halo 3, and including all the DLC. This would had been great for REACH if CEA did the same thing, but it only had the new maps. Which was a FAIL.

As Halo will most likely have a game coming out every year. You will have the main Halo title (H5 & H6) and a spin off game (like ODST) in between. The best way is to have the spin-off game use the same Multiplayer as the previous main title and include all DLC like ODST did with H3.

> The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.
>
> Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.
>
> <mark>Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.</mark>
>
> Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.

Basically this. It’s tricky right now, seeing as how some bought, some didn’t, and the low population.

Here is a real DLC solution for 343 to use. This is a very simple, yet very effective way to solve this problem.

Remember in past games we were able to select whether or not we could chose the kind of players that had good internet connections, or local connections, etc…

Well there isn’t any reason this can’t be applied to DLC.

You will have an option that says: DLC required

You check that box and then when you search Matchmaking you will search only for players that have DLC.

You uncheck that box and then you search for all players whether they have DLC or not.

This needs to happen if they are going to charge for DLC. Unless they go back to the Halo 2 format, where if you wanted the maps early like 2-3 months early you paid for them. When the 2-3 months expired the DLC then becomes free for all to download.

I could live with either option.

> Here is a real DLC solution for 343 to use. This is a very simple, yet very effective way to solve this problem.
>
> Remember in past games we were able to select whether or not we could chose the kind of players that had good internet connections, or local connections, etc…
>
> Well there isn’t any reason this can’t be applied to DLC.
>
> You will have an option that says: DLC required
>
> You check that box and then when you search Matchmaking you will search only for players that have DLC.
>
> You uncheck that box and then you search for all players whether they have DLC or not.
>
> This needs to happen if they are going to charge for DLC. Unless they go back to the Halo 2 format, where if you wanted the maps early like 2-3 months early you paid for them. When the 2-3 months expired the DLC then becomes free for all to download.
>
> I could live with either option.

Problem is that this would sacrifice trueskill and you can’t all search for people with DLC since some may not have it set. Therefore you got the same problem we have now.

Why not a DLC playlist?

>
>
> Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.
>

Yes, 343 should be looking into non-gameplay-changing microtransactions to support free DLC.

> > The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.
> >
> > Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.
> >
> > Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.
> >
> > Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.
>
> Yes, 343 should be looking into non-gameplay-changing microtransactions to support free DLC.

Where’s the money to make these other micro transactions coming from?

> > > The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.
> > >
> > > Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.
> > >
> > > Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.
> > >
> > > Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.
> >
> > Yes, 343 should be looking into non-gameplay-changing microtransactions to support free DLC.
>
> Where’s the money to make these other micro transactions coming from?

The bank?

The same place every coin and sliver of paper comes from used to develop every part of the game?

The idea with microtransactions is that they’re items of smaller value but can be sold at a far greater volume, unlike DLC which is in for a penny, in for a pound.
People can pick and choose with skins and armour in away they can’t pick an choose between maps, which I’d argue would lead to people becoming more apt to spend more.

So in theory if it is successful, the shear bulk amount of minute transactions can offset or at the very least subsidize the cost of DLC. Think of all the people who don’t necessarily want to go all out for a DLC pack, but would happily part with money to get new sets of skins and all that junk.

> Why not a DLC playlist?

You would think that would be the easiest solution right?

The problem is though that the dlc maps weren’t worth the money instead of being forced to download and buy three maps to get the one you want. Why not sell the maps all separately and if some maps are bad and nobody buys them well tough luck no one wants to buy a crap product to get a good one and have a rating system for the maps so 343 and the consumers know which map is worth the money

> > > > The only “solution” to DLC maps, I’m assuming maps since that is pretty much what everyone refers to when they refer to DLC, is to not charge for DLC maps.
> > > >
> > > > Give DLC maps away for free and charge for other DLC. Things such as cosmetic skins for the Spartans, weapons, vehicles, emblems, stances, and etc. Use the profit from that to subsidize the cost of map making.
> > > >
> > > > Not requiring DLC maps leaves us with the situation we have now: Nobody has the maps. Thus your purchase is basically wasted. This leads more people to not get the maps which creates a vicious feedback loop.
> > > >
> > > > Requiring the DLC maps pisses off the user base since they have to pay again to play 100% of their game.
> > >
> > > Yes, 343 should be looking into non-gameplay-changing microtransactions to support free DLC.
> >
> > Where’s the money to make these other micro transactions coming from?
>
> The bank?
>
> The same place every coin and sliver of paper comes from used to develop every part of the game?
>
> The idea with microtransactions is that they’re items of smaller value but can be sold at a far greater volume, unlike DLC which is in for a penny, in for a pound.
> People can pick and choose with skins and armour in away they can’t pick an choose between maps, which I’d argue would lead to people becoming more apt to spend more.
>
>
> So in theory if it is successful, the shear bulk amount of minute transactions can offset or at the very least subsidize the cost of DLC. Think of all the people who don’t necessarily want to go all out for a DLC pack, but would happily part with money to get new sets of skins and all that junk.

So what you’re saying is that you think that the money made from selling these Micro transactions will not only be enough to cover the costs from making the product itself but the profit from that will be enough to fund the creation of free maps.

If they put all the profit into making free maps then it’s very unlikely that there’s going to be much money left after making them.

I suppose selling stuff like armor and skins could prove to make a butt load of money, maybe enough for you plan to work but it’s a bit of a long shot and probably a risk that Microsoft and 343 aren’t willing to take.

Totally agree with the dlc playlist being a full time rotational playlist with other map packs, with halo 4 I barley have played the dlc maps other than the first week or two of there release.