DLC Pointless?

Hey all. I have been an avid halo fan since the original Halo, and am mostly happy with 343 and what they have achieved. I only recently decided to get some DLC because its getting painfully boring playing the same few maps over and over again (especially on doubles, which I play the most).

Purchasing DLC seemed like the ultimate waste of money though as it never shows up during matchmaking! I have had 1 match with 1 of the maps I bought, and that’s it - (pitfall from bullseye). I bought Majestic also and that was also like putting my wallet into the drain. Are the maps not showing up because no-one else has them? It’s quite disappointing really, spending money to prolong and improve your halo experience when it merely results in you throwing money away :’(. I had to walk about in a custom game just to see one of the maps that I bought; how sad is that. Still haven’t seen the rest of the maps. This also happened to me with the Mythic map pack (halo 3 if I remember?). Buying DLC late seems really quite pointless. This topic also may seem quite pointless, and it is, but I guess I wanted to vent and see if I wasn’t alone.

Anyone else had this problem ? Maybe it’d be good if 343 made DLC maps the priority during matchmaking (if they don’t already). Or if only a select amount of people have the DLC, bring back their specific playlists?

Halo has always had DLC problems (except for Halo 3 after the ODST/DLC bundle was released) and its all to do with the playlist system itself. If Halo used a custom server option with search filters just a few people in matchmaking is all you need in order for you to have a good time with your DLC maps. However, because we have playlists, which require thousands of people playing simultaneously in order to work properly, it takes a lot more in order to maintain a reliable DLC presence in matchmaking.

And when, as is the case now, you can’t hold onto a viable DLC playlist you’re left with just hoping that the people you get matched with have the same content as you do, which is a VERY unlikely case. Fortunately the xbox one is going to solve the latter issue (with a full suite matchmaking preference filters for every game including for like-DLC) but since the other issue (playlists) is a problem with the format of the game there’s not much to be done except to make DLC more accessible and desirable.

IE. put more stuff in there, make the maps more interesting and above all else engaging, and lower the cost.

DLC only playlist is the way forward. There were less DLC issues on Reach when this was implemented.

Same problem and i opened the same topic yesterday! xD
I hope 343 will fix this as soon as possible

343 really needed to scrap the rotational playlist in favor of playlist consolidation at a much earlier stage. It should have been quite clear that the population simply couldn’t support the amount of playlists.

Beyond overall improvements to how 343 handled DLC in matchmaking, objective gametypes, that being KoTH, Oddball, CTF and Dominion, should have been bundled into one playlist long, long ago. Now we’re in a situation where not only has the player base been diminished, but we’re also scattered all around the joint. This factors into the low probability of DLC matchups.

Unfortunately I don’t see a fix to this as 343 have run out of time. I highly discourage buying DLC at this stage.

Without a doubt.

I thought they would fix it after REACH but they just made it clear to never get DLC for a Halo game again.

Which is a shame, because DLC tends to be a lot better than the maps on the disc.

If Halo 5 had a server browser instead of matchmaking:
-DLC wouldn’t be an issue.
-Playlist Population wouldn’t be an issue.
-No waiting 10 minutes to find a match, you just choose one and join it.
-No waiting until your favorite map/gametype/DLC comes up, you just find it in the list.

And before you say “but what about ranks”, there are methods of incorporating those as well.

Funny how 343I wanted to change so much, yet they didn’t change something that would be a massive benefit to the game.

In fact, it would even be possible to have both a browser and a matchmaking feature, TF2 and CSGO already do this.

> Without a doubt.
>
> I thought they would fix it after REACH but they just made it clear to never get DLC for a Halo game again.
>
> Which is a shame, because DLC tends to be a lot better than the maps on the disc.

Probably a deliberate scheme for making more money.

“Alright team, listen up, I want you guys to create the most horrendous and unbalanced maps as you possibly can.”

‘But why? People will hate playing those maps.’

“Because people will hate them, and then when it comes time to release DLC, you’ll make awesome maps, and everyone will buy them because the original maps are crap.”

> > Without a doubt.
> >
> > I thought they would fix it after REACH but they just made it clear to never get DLC for a Halo game again.
> >
> > Which is a shame, because DLC tends to be a lot better than the maps on the disc.
>
> Probably a deliberate scheme for making more money.
>
>
> “Alright team, listen up, I want you guys to create the most horrendous and unbalanced maps as you possibly can.”
>
> ‘But why? People will hate playing those maps.’
>
> “Because people will hate them, and then when it comes time to release DLC, you’ll make awesome maps, and everyone will buy them because the original maps are crap.”

Lol too bad it back fired, too many people left before dlc even mattered. I’m sure any projected dlc sales before halo 4 was released tanked and didn’t hit expected quota.

I wish I would have read this thread yesterday before I donated $24.99 to 343. I got nothing but useless maps for the money I paid. Biggest waste of money ever.

I only got the DLC for the achievements. The only map pack I actually enjoyed was Majestic.

Since pretty much all the halo 4 games you buy now are like $50 and include all the DLC, why the heck can’t those who paid full price get all the DLC for free now ?

Honestly I wish the DLC became free and was required for matchmaking. That would allow us to play on a variety of maps and make the multiplayer more enjoyable.

I literally bought it for just my Spartan Stance.

I feel like I got my money’s worth. I played a bunch on the DLC maps back when the DLC playlists were available.

I have the game since day one. Limited edition with season pass in it. Playing dlc maps on normal playlist it almost impossible. Thats the major reason why i’m not playing this game.I got bored to death playing 2-3 the same standard maps again and again and again for eternity. I really like the game mechanics since the first halo game,but i don’t like when someone is cheating me.I feel like they took my money and not give me anything in return. That’s why i decided to not giving them my money in the future. It’s not worth it. The game population is low not without the reason. Xbox without Halo dosen’t exist for me. Time to change the game system. PS4 welcome.

> I have the game since day one. Limited edition with season pass in it. Playing dlc maps on normal playlist it almost impossible. Thats the major reason why i’m not playing this game.I got bored to death playing 2-3 the same standard maps again and again and again for eternity. I really like the game mechanics since the first halo game,but i don’t like when someone is cheating me.I feel like they took my money and not give me anything in return. That’s why i decided to not giving them my money in the future. It’s not worth it. The game population is low not without the reason. Xbox without Halo dosen’t exist for me. Time to change the game system. PS4 welcome.

OK, don’t let the door hit you in the -Yoink- on the way out.

This is EXACTLY one of the main reasons the DLC wont show for you. You are not convincing those that don’t have it to buy it. The more people that have it, the more DLC owners will be in a lobby with you and the more chance you have of it showing. Seriously, I party up with a full team of DLC owners almost all the time on my main account and I play the DLC maps semi regularly in most playlists. Why? Because playing with a full team greatly increases the chances of matching up with other full teams of DLC owners, thus enabling you to play on the DLC maps.

People saying things like “DLC is a waste of money” or “dont buy it you never get to play it” makes people not buy the DLC maps, which are clearly WAAAAY better than the shipped ones. And saying that you’ve been cheated or ripped of is false, since the maps are available to all DLC owners at any time via custom games. They are only less common in matchmaking due to people who don’t have/refuse to buy them.

Also, nowhere in the terms and conditions you agreed to (when both joining Xbox Live and buying the DLC) does it actually state that you are GUARANTEED to play on DLC content. So from a legal perspective you aren’t being ripped off or cheated, and 343/Microsoft are in line with the contract you agreed to.

Yes this fricken sucks, I bought all the DLC and yet I haven’t even played all of it, because I cant. :’(

> > I have the game since day one. Limited edition with season pass in it. Playing dlc maps on normal playlist it almost impossible. Thats the major reason why i’m not playing this game.I got bored to death playing 2-3 the same standard maps again and again and again for eternity. I really like the game mechanics since the first halo game,but i don’t like when someone is cheating me.I feel like they took my money and not give me anything in return. That’s why i decided to not giving them my money in the future. It’s not worth it. The game population is low not without the reason. Xbox without Halo dosen’t exist for me. Time to change the game system. PS4 welcome.
>
> OK, don’t let the door hit you in the -Yoink!- on the way out.
>
> This is EXACTLY one of the main reasons the DLC wont show for you. You are not convincing those that don’t have it to buy it. The more people that have it, the more DLC owners will be in a lobby with you and the more chance you have of it showing. Seriously, I party up with a full team of DLC owners almost all the time on my main account and I play the DLC maps semi regularly in most playlists. Why? Because playing with a full team greatly increases the chances of matching up with other full teams of DLC owners, thus enabling you to play on the DLC maps.
>
> People saying things like “DLC is a waste of money” or “dont buy it you never get to play it” makes people not buy the DLC maps, which are clearly WAAAAY better than the shipped ones. And saying that you’ve been cheated or ripped of is false, since the maps are available to all DLC owners at any time via custom games. They are only less common in matchmaking due to people who don’t have/refuse to buy them.
>
> Also, nowhere in the terms and conditions you agreed to (when both joining Xbox Live and buying the DLC) does it actually state that you are GUARANTEED to play on DLC content. So from a legal perspective you aren’t being ripped off or cheated, and 343/Microsoft are in line with the contract you agreed to.

You want me to convince someone?Whom? The 200 players on 4x4 slayer in my region. Don’t be silly.This game is dead now. I have waited long enough. They didn’t say about secret conditions to play this maps.I didn’t bought some crippled version of the game,so why i need to play only custom games. 343 is doing nothin with this issue. Other games do not have this problem. Even if they would give the maps for free to other players, i don’t mind. But i think it’s to late now.

I dont know why in the hell i decided to finally purchase DLC this week. Got Crimson, Majestic and Castle in one.

Well, after not playing for a while I got back to Halo 4 and thought it was taking too long to find games.

I thought: maybe most of the people have DLC and I am left out. So I bought, this tuesday.

Since then, I have played like 50 games or so, and not even ONCE have had the chance to play a DLC map.

NOT ONCE.

I will never buy DLC, ever again.

The thing is unless 343i sort out their matchmaking schemes then I wouldn’t recommend buying any dlc unless your after GS or hardcore fan, it’s great to play when having friends over but the problem is it’s highly unlikely to pop in matchmaking since there’s no encouragement to get people to want to buy dlc. My solution was removing forge, basically mostly forces dlc only playlists because at the moment there isn’t much variety.