Disgusting, Immoral, and blind game security - 343 ruins this game for PC users

If anyone wants to see how disgusting their security measures are, all you need to do is take one look at this:

i_imgur_com/IMK7ZiU.png

[Replace the underscores in the link with ‘.’ so you can navigate to it, the forum doesn’t like people posting links, because apparently they have to treat us all like children?]

No one has an issue with having some basic anti-debugging measures in your software (& game-security measures), that’s not what I take issue with. It’s the blind and obtuse demand that nearly half of all personal computer users are essentially barred from playing the game should they 1. Be a Software engineer, or 2. Have any other software on their system…

It’s disgusting and immoral, let alone extremely deceptive since your software, documentation, or usage terms state NOTHING of this sort anywhere.

The people making the decisions on this team need to grow the -F- up.

Also, before anyone tries to act ‘wiser than thou’ about my concerns let me make it perfectly clear that I am not even trying to reverse engineer the game - I have not even touched it in that respect. This information was made public on hacking forums and you know what, I’m glad.

If 343/Microsoft doesn’t take two steps backwards on this asinine behavior then I hope and welcome the hacking community to tear this game the -F up. They deserve to get ripped a new one.

1 Like

While you are stating this here then i have simple question. Then using these outside resources which can be used to create hacks/cheats as well why should be allowed?

Please understand ANY 3rd party can be called cheat/hack. This is a standard definition in any EULA. What you are complaining about is up to the software company on those decisions not by us.

Actively encouraging that this game be attacked by hackers is sad. Also, there is no need for you to go poking around in the software to begin with.

1 Like

Apparently you struggle with reading comprehension so I’ll reiterate:

let me make it perfectly clear that I am not even trying to reverse engineer the game - I have not even touched it in that respect

Also, let me address your question and statements:

Then using these outside resources which can be used to create hacks/cheats as well why should be allowed?

By ‘using these outside resources’ I assume you mean, browsing or being apart of reverse engineering communities - the answer is simple, because it’s a free world and there is nothing wrong with software reverse engineering as a hobby; most of the amazing research and anti-virus techniques that we have developed to this day have been thanks to the individuals that dedicate their free time to those communities and cyber security in general. Lastly, having such a rule in place would be one, completely unenforceable from a technical standpoint, and two, just a ridiculous expectation to make such a rule about where people can and cannot spend their free time outside of a video game.

Please understand ANY 3rd party can be called cheat/hack. This is a standard definition in any EULA.

Beyond incorrect, I have read the EULA for Halo Infinite, have you? Also, a standard definition of unpermitted third party software is that of ones which aim to modify the game or provide gameplay advantages. There is a whole suite of accessibility software and communication software that almost every game allows, and for good reason, think if people weren’t allowed to use Discord, or if disabled people weren’t allowed to use accessibility macros in order to be able to play video games with their only working arm? I encourage you to educate yourself before making such stupid comments.

Actively encouraging that this game be attacked by hackers is sad. Also, there is no need for you to go poking around in the software to begin with.

If the people that made this software don’t stop to think what impact they’re having on the halo community and the PC users that are playing fairly, then they deserve to have their systems and software attacked. It’s only a matter of being ethical. The communities with the power to do that will determine if it’s deserved or not and then we will let the court of public opinion decide the fate of this game in that respect. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and even though I am not going to be one of the people to perform such reversal and attacks, I do encourage them to dole out the justice where it is deserved should 343 not reevaluate their disgusting techniques.

can you explain in lamens terms what you are talking about.
I have no idea what I’m looking at.

5 Likes

“Also, there is no need for you to go poking around in the software to begin with.”
Tell that to modders.

Look, you’ve probably got a really good point, but you gotta dumb it down. To the average user, and myself, that image really doesn’t explain anything.

I know IT jargon and clusters of other technical terms, but I’m not savvy with software.

I think he meant that if you have some programs like those on the list in your computer you could get banned or something idk.
Those programs include legitimate software, like devenv.exe which is the name of the executable of Visual Studio IDE which is used to develop programs. Some are debuggers that are used to find errors in the code of executable, those are legitimate software to, I don’t know most of the executables here but legitimate software (which maybe used maliciously I suppose) shouldn’t be blocked/flagged or something else, if they don’t interact with the Halo files.

3 Likes

Correct, if you’re running such programs the game will crash, but this is just a small example of the kind of ““security”” they’re using. The fact that they hardcoded to search for those strings is laughable too, some kind of script-kiddie approach to protecting their software.

Also, there’s much more issues with the way they’re handling game security but this is just one of them.

I think you’re overblowing tha issue honestly. Games have too many cheaters today, we need every security measure we can get

So I’m confused a bit by your post. So if any of these .exe’s Strings are running the background the game just crashes? Or is it if they are living on my machine it crashes. Please clarify if you’ve found what those strings are being used for.

My “gaming” computer is also my part time work computer and I use Visual Studio for a few C# projects. And IntelliJ for various things. And of course there are debuggers that are used in both haha! I’ll dig in and see if I have any of these exe’s. If that’s why I’ve been crashing then that’s a big WTF.

Here is the problem which every single gaming software brand EA, DICE, Bungie, Activision Blizzard, and so on. ANY program which is being injected into the main game. So when you speak of ventrillo, discord, teamspeak there api in fact is a seprate program that is NOT touching any of the halo files. What you are stating is exactly against the eula pure and simple.

I have the eula and it has the same standard that i have seen since 1997. Do you realize that 343 has the right to determine what is allowed? That keans you have to ask for the petmission which i am quite sure it will go through their qa to ensure it is NOT modifying anything of their code. You as the end user do not have those rights to the api like it or not.