Discussion: Should loadouts return in Halo 5?

This has been a topic on my mind lately. For the past 2 (and a half) halo games, Bungie/343 has integrated loadouts into their games. They worked quite well in my opinion, putting a bit of variety in gameplay, instead of the same boring AR and pistol start. It made custom games more fun and interesting, and Infinity Slayer was a hell of a lot of fun for me. But i was quite disappointed to see that they removed them from Halo 5. Will they ever be returning? Do they deserve to return? It would be cool to see loadouts integrated into Big Team Battle, or another social slayer playlist. Let me know what you think, and maybe, just maybe, 343 could hear us out and put them back where they belong. Thanks for reading!

(Sorry for shameless promotion, but) Also if you’re interested, my spartan company could use some more people. Join Striketeam Meteor at your convenience.

get the -Yoink- out…loadouts were the worst thing to ever happen to Halo…it made Halo CoD and that pissed the majority of the community off…if they came back then Halo would die…and I would be one of the people doing the killing…just -Yoinking!- no.

Someone should t-bag you in real life just for posting this thread!!! /s

But we have load outs in Warzone.

> 2533274958724146;3:
> Someone should t-bag you in real life just for posting this thread!!! /s

yep…OP is clueless and is a complete noob if he thinks loadouts belong in Halo…not even in social…Warzone is close enough…at least you have to earn it somewhat.

They should return, but only in Warzone. It is pretty time consuming to scroll past a bunch of loadout weapons at a req station. Having pre-set loadouts at certain req levels can be great for this issue.

> 2533275021804951;2:
> get the -Yoink- out…loadouts were the worst thing to ever happen to Halo…it made Halo CoD and that pissed the majority of the community off…if they came back then Halo would die…and I would be one of the people doing the killing…just -Yoinking!- no.

I see you weren’t a fan of Reach.

No. This works much better than what was in Halo 4. It is more consistent, fair, and raises the skill gap. Especially since the loadout weapons are no where near as balanced as they were in Halo 4. I think most people would agree DMR>BR>SMG>Assault Rifle (With some debate of course).

> 2535427570373082;7:
> > 2533275021804951;2:
> > get the -Yoink- out…loadouts were the worst thing to ever happen to Halo…it made Halo CoD and that pissed the majority of the community off…if they came back then Halo would die…and I would be one of the people doing the killing…just -Yoinking!- no.
>
>
> I see you weren’t a fan of Reach.

reach was ok…not great but ok…then Halo 4 -Yoinked!- it up even more…and BTW reach was also hated by the community.

> 2535433846507696;6:
> They should return, but only in Warzone. It is pretty time consuming to scroll past a bunch of loadout weapons at a req station. Having pre-set loadouts at certain req levels can be great for this issue.

They can do whatever they want in Warzone, and yes it actually would make sense. But if the put that into Arena. I’m burning this game, filming it and then sending 343i a copy with play by play commentary of what just happened.

Short answer: no.
Long answer: if Halo intends to keep the pretense of being an arena shooter, it needs to have even starts for everyone. Loadouts directly contradict that.

> 2533274823519895;11:
> Short answer: no.
> Long answer: if Halo intends to keep the pretense of being an arena shooter, it needs to have even starts for everyone. Loadouts directly contradict that.

I never mentioned anything about arena. I would hate it if Arena got loadouts too. I was mainly speaking Custom games and social playlists. You would be able to tell if you read the post description.

As long as it is only in social playlists and doesn’t touch anything ranked or Warzone.

Truthfully, no. Loadouts contradict the idea of equal starts in Halo, and since it is an arena shooter (albeit with some hybrid qualities of other shooters, primarily tactical shooters like Counter Strike), and that is a staple of arena shooters, it would be wise to not include them.

If we were to have preset load outs like Reach or even the preset load outs like in vanilla Halo 2 Anniversary (you know, where you can choose between pistol, SMG, and plasma rifle starts), then I would be more accepting of it, but only as a custom games option and/or in select niche game types such as Invasion, or more recently, Warzone. For standard game types like Slayer, CTF, Oddball, KOTH, etc., we need to have equal starts.

> 2535433846507696;6:
> They should return, but only in Warzone. It is pretty time consuming to scroll past a bunch of loadout weapons at a req station. Having pre-set loadouts at certain req levels can be great for this issue.

This!!! ONLY for Warzone!

Load outs were the worst thing Bungie/343I ever did for Halo.

> 2535427570373082;12:
> > 2533274823519895;11:
> > Short answer: no.
> > Long answer: if Halo intends to keep the pretense of being an arena shooter, it needs to have even starts for everyone. Loadouts directly contradict that.
>
>
> I never mentioned anything about arena. I would hate it if Arena got loadouts too. I was mainly speaking Custom games and social playlists. You would be able to tell if you read the post description.

Reading is for nerds tho

In seriousness, there’s a ambiguity on terminology here. I didn’t mean specifically arena as in arena vs warzone, I meant arena shooter as in the genre from which Halo grew. They’re characterized by even starts and finding weapons/power ups on the map in order to dominate the enemy. Sorry for the confusion.

Absolutely not. Loadouts are good for exploring the different weapons and abilities to spawn with, but they have no place whatsoever in competitive Halo. They go against everything Halo was made to be: a first-person shooter with equal starts on a console. 343 has let me down many times, but they marginally redeemed themselves for removing loadouts from Halo after dealing with them for 5 straight years.

N to the O

Can an arena shooter have loadouts and still be an arena shooter? That is a question I ponder from time to time. Even if the answer is “yes” though you can tell from the amount of backlash to the concept on these forums that it doesn’t necessarily mean Halo should have loadouts.

Should Halo 5 have loadouts?

First, Warzone already does.
Second, no. If nothing else it would take away development resources and the game already has a lot of catching up to do.

> a first-person shooter with equal starts on a console

Equal isn’t Identical.

So basically what everyone is saying, is “No fun allowed! No fun allowed!”