Discussing halo 4 matchmaking

Me and my brother discuss what we would like to see from Halo 4 matchmaking. Let us know what you guys think.
(Sorry for the echo on my bros voice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7N-42lJvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7N-42lJvs

I didn’t except an in depth video on matchmaking by your name. I agree with everything for the most part, but the social true skill has so loose skill restrictions that it just prioritizes quick matches and really doesn’t match people of close true-skill. It’s probably better to keep it. There’s an easy way to fix boosting. It’s just an exploit of the True-skill system. It takes in to account how low your teammates true-skill (not rank) is and boosts your rank if you manage to win with such a “bad” teammate. I really hope they tweak the true-skill formula to remove boosting and the rank “locking” that you were talking about. Halo 3 had a bad netcode which brought about most of the lag problems. Reach’s gameplay really isn’t Halo or even fun, but a ranking system would have kept my attention on the game.

All i can hear is your -Yoink!- accent :wink:

I agree with a lot of your points, from what i heard i don’t think you talked about the Halo 2 ranking system (i’m one of those old school Halo 2 fanboys). Could you talk about it a little more?

EDIT: You guys mention getting to level 50 a lot. The goal of a competitive ranking system shouldn’t be getting to X level. It should be about getting better as a player and getting paired up against other evenly matched players.

Yeah I should probably post from this account in future so people take my threads a bit more seriously :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes even though social isnt as tightly ranked as “Ranked” playlists, a general will often be matched up against other generals and so forth.

In the next part to the video (hopefully next week) we will discuss more about connection options, net code etc. The sponge was so bad in Halo 3 that even on lan players could munch whole bursts of br to the face!

> Yeah I should probably post from this account in future so people take my threads a bit more seriously :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> And yes even though social isnt as tightly ranked as “Ranked” playlists, a general will often be matched up against other generals and so forth.
>
> In the next part to the video (hopefully next week) we will discuss more about connection options, net code etc. The sponge was so bad in Halo 3 that even on lan players could munch whole bursts of br to the face!

I’m a strong believer in

Competitive Playlists - Halo 2 Ranking System

Social Playlists - Reach’s Ranking System

> I didn’t except an in depth video on matchmaking by your name. I agree with everything for the most part, but the social true skill has so loose skill restrictions that it just prioritizes quick matches and really doesn’t match people of close true-skill. It’s probably better to keep it. There’s an easy way to fix boosting. It’s just an exploit of the True-skill system. It takes in to account how low your teammates true-skill (not rank) is and boosts your rank if you manage to win with such a “bad” teammate. I really hope they tweak the true-skill formula to remove boosting and the rank “locking” that you were talking about. Halo 3 had a bad netcode which brought about most of the lag problems. Reach’s gameplay really isn’t Halo or even fun, but a ranking system would have kept my attention on the game.

Exactly what you said…

Halo 4 hopefully with be a Halo game again, we’ve been absent from a real Halo game being released barring CEA’s campaign, for about 3 years now with ODST.

> > Yeah I should probably post from this account in future so people take my threads a bit more seriously :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > And yes even though social isnt as tightly ranked as “Ranked” playlists, a general will often be matched up against other generals and so forth.
> >
> > In the next part to the video (hopefully next week) we will discuss more about connection options, net code etc. The sponge was so bad in Halo 3 that even on lan players could munch whole bursts of br to the face!
>
> I’m a strong believer in
>
> Competitive Playlists - Halo 2 Ranking System
>
> Social Playlists - Reach’s Ranking System

Hey. yeah, I mentioned that around the 12:10 mark but was trying to avoid going into too much detail cus I only had a few minutes left to the video. Halo 2 ranking system really didn’t have anything wrong with it so would be nice to see that come back.

Thank you for you feedback, in enjoyed watching your video very much. Please keep it up as i look forward to the next one, i hope it’s informative because i don’t know much when it comes to some of the things you’ve mentioned.

I would just like to say that the awesomeness of Halo has got a bit lost on Reach, the armour abilities have totally changed the game ( and not for the better in my opinion) Part of match making was seeing who got to camo or overshield 1st, it was part of the game, now everyone runs around with camo or armour lock, it has totally ruined the game. I am hoping that Halo 4 will go back to the basic style of play like Halo 3 which has great proper maps and not forge made maps, the only good armour ability that should be available to all is sprint the others should just be on the map. I just needed to say this, and wonder how may other people feel the same?

Halo 4 needs to include ranked playlists again. The best part about the halo series was the matchmaking and trying to get a 50. This needs to be back in halo 4

arena, in theory is a FAR superior system to the 1-50.
However reach implemented arena all wrong, you cannot immediately see yourself rank up, there is no effect on rank based on division scoring, and lack of BTB, objective, and ffa makes arena inferior to 1-50.

I would love to see arena implemented properly in halo 4 but I doubt it because of arena’s poor track record. Halo 4 will most likely have 1-50 or 1-100 and I have no problem with that.

> arena, in theory is a FAR superior system to the 1-50.
> However reach implemented arena all wrong, you cannot immediately see yourself rank up, there is no effect on rank based on division scoring, and lack of BTB, objective, and ffa makes arena inferior to 1-50.
>
> I would love to see arena implemented properly in halo 4 but I doubt it because of arena’s poor track record. Halo 4 will most likely have 1-50 or 1-100 and I have no problem with that.

I would really like a 1-100(IF they use Halo 3 system with sigma and mu) just because i noticed in my experience that in H3 there were a lot of 50’s with highly varying skill, so essentially 50 was a cap that was too attainable. Halo 2 1-50 was really good though, too bad it was plagued with cheating/modding of being the first huge game on XBL.

They just at LEAST need Halo 3’s system. No arena, that’s a horrible system. I actually think it’d be cool if you could get certain helmets or armor that were only unlockable for getting 50s in certain playlists, and then a really badass helmet for getting a 50 in 5 or more playlists, then 10 or more, etc.

I don’t know if I could achieve that personally, but it would be a badass incentive and be really awesome to see.

> They just at LEAST need Halo 3’s system. No arena, that’s a horrible system. I actually think it’d be cool if you could get certain helmets or armor that were only unlockable for getting 50s in certain playlists, and then a really badass helmet for getting a 50 in 5 or more playlists, then 10 or more, etc.
>
> I don’t know if I could achieve that personally, but it would be a badass incentive and be really awesome to see.

In my opinion, that would be a huge incentive for people to cheat, especially for people who cant get a single 50 legit. I say this because I think most legit 50s don’t care much for armour, they just want to win.

I do agree on a modified credit system though, meaning if you win games at a higher level you gain more credits and these credits can be put towards unlocking designs on your armour and emblems etc.

50 shouldn’t be a number to get to. Halo 3’s system is terrible because 50 is so attainable. Wow you got to 50. So what? You’re still getting paired up against -Yoink- teams and getting paired with -Yoink- team mates.

When it comes to armour i really do not care. The slightest. As long as my helmet looks like chiefs i’m happy.