Disappointed with Halo 4's Limited Edition...

I have to admit there’s several things that have really hampered the urge to purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition in my opinion.

The first and biggest it the “War Room access”:
"The competitive multiplayer modes of Halo 4 are known as War Games. The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps - three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. Yes, you read that correctly; you get nine maps in the form of future DLC with the purchase of the Halo 4 Limited Edition. Score!"

First off I know Halo’s primary reason for existing is as a business. But the fact that we know from the start there’s 9 DLC maps planned really kills it for me. It tells us that by the time the game launches, there’s going to be atleast 3 maps polished and ready to play. As I said, I know Halo is a business but I’m pretty sure they’d find greater customer satisfaction if they included the maps to begin with. Look at Reach, it didn’t have too many maps to start with, and there were screens for DLC more than a month before release.

And I’m going to say it, this War Room access draws direct inspiration from CoD Elite. Microsoft probably looked at the commercial success of Elite and concluded that the implementation into Halo 4 would be relatively as successful. But here’s the catch:

Why pay additional money for 9 maps we will know nothing about beforehand? You’re already committing to buy them with the extra charge for the Limited Edition, but for all we know they could all end up blowing hard? Why couldn’t they just go down the more community friendly path of included some of the maps on the disc, then releasing them all down the track as traditional DLC. That way you can youtube walkthroughs to build an opinion of them yourself. And chances are it will be cheaper to buy the Limited edition then it would be to purchase the game than the DLCs at a later date.

It’s a shame really. Halo 2 popularized the idea of DLC, but now finds itself adopting marketing strategies from other companies.

And before I get flamed, I’m a huge Halo fan, I will purchase Halo 4, and chances are it will be a solid shooter. But why is this Limited edition so… “limited” compared to previous games?

Oh and Master Chief’s design sucks for the most part. Chief’s depiction in Halo 2 and 3 helped shape the image of the franchise, why change it?

dude i knew there would be 3 map packs when the game was announced since every main halo game has had 3 map packs released

> dude i knew there would be 3 map packs when the game was announced since every main halo game has had 3 map packs released

Lol true… that’ll be probably the only maps you have throughout Halo 4 years before the next game.

You know, developers don’t just sit down after they’ve released the game and think “Hmm, what should we add now?”

I don’t see the whining about DLC.

It’s extra, EXTRA content that you do not have to purchase. You have the whole game on the disc as it was meant to be.

“But they could have added it to the game”

And postphone the release date several months?

As the need for manpower for the development of the actual game decreases, I guess it goes to planning DLC. As any new content need to be rigurously tested again again and again.

The maps on the disc were maps that were in the development stage from atleast week 1 of the develompent period. If they start with DLC maps, it’s later down the road, which is too late.

A perfect example I can think of that is similair to DLC is a project of mine I had in school. We were groups of three and our task was to design an electronics circuit that would either measure temperature or light intensity, we got to choose one. Everything was up to us, which parts to use, what inner circuits to use and so on. Along the way we thought of some ideas that would increase the accuracy of our circuit but we wanted to get a working model first. With every bigger project comes a report that we hand to the “customer”, in this case the teacher. What was in this report? A chapter on possible improvements if we would have continued to develop the circuit when we got a working one.

Yes I know there are companies that have the DLC on the disc, and that is bad, but to start shouting at a developer because they have planned DLC down the road before release is too much because it happens in most projects, improvements being cut and added later on.

If you don’t want them, don’t buy them, the game works properly without the DLC.

I love how every one is whining like they’re forced to buy the Limited edition…
My word… you don’t HAVE to buy the Limited Edition, nor do you HAVE do buy the DLC.

> I love how every one is whining like they’re forced to buy the Limited edition…
> My word… you don’t HAVE to buy the Limited Edition, nor do you HAVE do buy the DLC.

You are right, you would be a moron to buy the limited edition just for the DLC… HOWEVER, it’s not the only thing you get. It’s the additional content which would make it worth it to some people.

One of the few problems I had with Reach was the maps, there were to few of them a launch, as long as 343 has more maps at launch than Reach I really don’t care about the 9 dlc maps.

Buut if 343 puts to few maps in H4 just so that people will buy the DLC I will be really pissed, we just have to wait for the game to be released.

[deleted]

> > I love how every one is whining like they’re forced to buy the Limited edition…
> > My word… you don’t HAVE to buy the Limited Edition, nor do you HAVE do buy the DLC.
>
> You are right, you would be a moron to buy the limited edition just for the DLC… HOWEVER, it’s not the only thing you get. It’s the additional content which would make it worth it to some people.

I wouldn’t say that, buying a game just for the DLC, if you do plan to get future DLC Map Packs, then I can see buying the limited edition a smart idea. But there’s more too the limited edition than just DLC.

> > I love how every one is whining like they’re forced to buy the Limited edition…
> > My word… you don’t HAVE to buy the Limited Edition, nor do you HAVE do buy the DLC.
>
> You are right, you would be a moron to buy the limited edition just for the DLC… HOWEVER, it’s not the only thing you get. It’s the additional content which would make it worth it to some people.

My reasons differ. I’m buying it because I’m a huge Halo fan and a collector.

Everything else that comes with the Limited Edition is secondary and a bonus in my eyes. In other words, worth the price tag.

Here we go again…