Disappointed PvP is limited to time windows again

The last Flight was primarily against bots and they had a very small window for PvP.

This time I expected that the whole Flight weekend would allow for PvP and was really disappointed to see that PvP is once again restricted to certain time windows.

It’s especially bad for UK or EU players as one of the windows is in the very early hours in the morning (1am-5am BST). I appreciate that Halo is a North American developed game and that North American gamers will make up the majority of the player base but it does suck that I may have to stay up until the early hours of the morning to test PvP as a UK player.

Tell you whats funny - I’m Aussie and the time zones are even worse. But in the last flight, were there time windows to play the bots? Because I was able to play PVB the entire weekend. Dunno if that’ll happen this flight.

Yeah sucks big time for the Aussies too so you definitely have my sympathy.

Since last flight you could play PvB the whole time so I assume it’ll be the same this time too. I played a lot of bot matches last flight though so was mainly only interested in playing PvP this time.

I’m glad we know about it ahead of time and I actually think this is better than having two time windows at more agreeable times.

Most will get to play the afternoon slot, but those players that are working during those hours have a chance early in the morning. Night shift workers for example.

I would of course rather play more PvP and have it available at times that suited me, but I’m okay with this too.

I wish the windows were extended for y’all. Who knows? Maybe one day we’ll get a week long flight.

Oh, didn’t know. That’s bad but thanks for sharing. Was really looking forward to almost exclusively PvP. Then again, bots is the newcomer to Halo so it’s important to get that right as well :slight_smile:

So they’re doing BTB and whatever the other mode is with all bots?? Are you sure?
They’ve really given off the impression the whole BTB thing would be PvP. Maybe I just misinterpreted.

> 2556731038472681;7:
> So they’re doing BTB and whatever the other mode is with all bots?? Are you sure?
> They’ve really given off the impression the whole BTB thing would be PvP. Maybe I just misinterpreted.

BTB is next weekend and I’m sure it’ll be PvP.

The flight that’s coming this weekend has PvP Team Slayer but you can only play PvP in specific small time windows when they open up the servers, you can’t just play PvP any time you want over the weekend.

I feel like 343 are going out to actively make this game as disappointing as possible. In what world does it make sense for people’s first time ever playing the game to be on a training range shooting targets or against mindless easy bots? How underwhelming; other games had this stuff many years ago and having it now in Halo really isn’t as exciting as they make it out to be. Then this time restricting players on when they’re allowed to play; there’s always a ‘but’ with 343 when they announce something. They’re creating horrible first impressions for their new game.

I want to clarify, you won’t be able to play bot matches like the last flight outside of those windows either. All matchmaking is limited to the windows, including bot slayer. You will be able to play the training mode, where its just you on your own vs bot’s all the time though.

How did you get this information? I got an email three days ago saying I was in the flight but nothing else yet.

> 2533274855648543;10:
> I want to clarify, you won’t be able to play bot matches like the last flight outside of those windows either. All matchmaking is limited to the windows, including bot slayer. You will be able to play the training mode, where its just you on your own vs bot’s all the time though.

This is even worse if true.
I was thinking that we’d at least be able to play in teams against bots while we waited for PvP to open up.

This seems unnecessarily restrictive as we were able to play PvB for the full duration of the flight last time!

> 2533274794406416;12:
> > 2533274855648543;10:
> > I want to clarify, you won’t be able to play bot matches like the last flight outside of those windows either. All matchmaking is limited to the windows, including bot slayer. You will be able to play the training mode, where its just you on your own vs bot’s all the time though.
>
> This is even worse if true.
> I was thinking that we’d at least be able to play in teams against bots while we waited for PvP to open up.
>
> This seems unnecessarily restrictive as we were able to play PvB for the full duration of the flight last time!

Its not given the goals. They want to push the servers hard and actually test them. By limiting the window, you can maximize the amount players on at once given the limited window. When its open at all times, you end up actually taking that population and spreading it out over the entire time frame instead of a focused window.

We have to remember, these flights are not for us. These are not marketing demos. They are only doing this to prepare for launch.

> 2533274794406416;12:
> > 2533274855648543;10:
> > I want to clarify, you won’t be able to play bot matches like the last flight outside of those windows either. All matchmaking is limited to the windows, including bot slayer. You will be able to play the training mode, where its just you on your own vs bot’s all the time though.
>
> This is even worse if true.
> I was thinking that we’d at least be able to play in teams against bots while we waited for PvP to open up.
>
> This seems unnecessarily restrictive as we were able to play PvB for the full duration of the flight last time!

They’re deliberately being restrictive. They want to maximise how many people hit the matchmaking services in one go, and the best way to do that is to force people to use them all at once. They want higher concurrent player numbers and sign ins, if it was open all the time it would be diluted across the whole weekend. Its not ideal for us, but it’ll give 343 better data in the end.

Nvm. lol

Forcing PVP on specific time frames for stress testing seems logical. I’m however disappointed that there are no ways to play with friends outside of the time slots as well. Don’t think the peak for PVP will be smaller if we were able to fool around with bots the rest of the day :slight_smile:

This is however way better for my health though lol.

I get why youre disappointed, but I think youre looking at this wrong. Last flight wasnt about pvp at all. It was just for bots. We got lucky and they were able to throw in an hour of pvp before the flight ended.

This time is about stress testing. The best way to do that, is to restrict the time. It’s about us getting to help develop the game, not us playing it. That is just a nice bonus.

If they wanted the server’s tested then they could have had the flight times relative to the time zones because the vast majority of people aren’t going to not play on their local server so they can play on a laggy server on another continent at an inconvenient time.

I think they should be more windows so those in other countries not on the same time zones of the USA don’t have to go out of their way to join the pvp.

Now I know that we can still play practice mode when PvP and PvB are disabled I don’t think it’s as bad.
It’s a shame we can’t currently play practice mode with friends but at least I’ll still get to play something other than basic weapon drills while we wait for the server windows to open.