Disable Friendly Fire

343 could you make it where friendly fire is disabled in halo infinite I hate getting killed by my teammates grenades or shots when I finish a gun battle please remove this in the next game!

I used to grapple with the idea a lot. I felt like it would take away from tradition and teamwork. But then I realized the benefits would far and away outweigh the drawbacks. There would be no pettiness and no distractions during matches. Plus, Gears doesn’t have friendly fire enabled in any mode and everything flows smoothly (as far as teamplay is concerned). So, in summary, I’m heavily in favor of turning it off entirely for everything except maybe Ranked.

Friendly Fire is a major detriment to Halo’s gameplay. In any map with a sniper rifle (which is all of them…) people will constantly fight over who gets to use it. So it leads to a bunch of idiots who kill each other instead of playing the game, all up until someone finally gets the boot option. Some say that the lack of friendly fire would disrupt the game too much, but I disagree. If a teammate blocks your shot, that shot still isn’t connecting with your target either way. The only difference is that friendly fire leads to the possibility of accidently killing a teammate, starting a chain of revenge betrayals, longer spawn times, booting, hatemail, and so on.

There’s also something else I’d like to mention. I’ve seen people complain about friendly fire in Halo and other games that have it. However, when it comes to games that don’t have friendly fire, I’ve never seen anyone complain about it’s absence and ask for it to be added into those games.

> 2533274978553590;3:
> Friendly Fire is a major detriment to Halo’s gameplay. In any map with a sniper rifle (which is all of them…) people will constantly fight over who gets to use it. So it leads to a bunch of idiots who kill each other instead of playing the game, all up until someone finally gets the boot option. Some say that the lack of friendly fire would disrupt the game too much, but I disagree. If a teammate blocks your shot, that shot still isn’t connecting with your target either way. The only difference is that friendly fire leads to the possibility of accidently killing a teammate, starting a chain of revenge betrayals, longer spawn times, booting, hatemail, and so on.
>
> There’s also something else I’d like to mention. I’ve seen people complain about friendly fire in Halo and other games that have it. However, when it comes to games that don’t have friendly fire, I’ve never seen anyone complain about it’s absence and ask for it to be added into those games.

I was gonna say that friendly fire makes it a more realistic experience since shooting someone in real life means they get shot regardless of if they are friendly or not. But you make some very good points about this and I have to say I agree with you. It really hurts the game play when you and a teammate are trying to get to the scorpion and then all of a sudden you get a melee to the back for no reason other than your teammate wants to be the one to use it.

The grenade spam in Halo necisates friendly fire, although it would be much more enjoyable if it was reflective friendly fire. If you shoot a teammate it does damage to yourself. That way you can’t kill teammates over weapons and you still need to be cautious with explosive weapons.

im tired of accidentally killing oblivious teammates who walk blindly in front of me during a battle

Yeah it simulates a more warlike setting when your not sticking your teammate to take the sniper riffle

I’ve never thought of friendly fire as a necessary part of Halo. You could take it out and very little would change.

for the pvp battle modes i can sort of understand it being in, maybe at least for modes like swat where no one has special weapons and where its really fast paced and a bad decision by a player can lead to unfavourable results. But for modes with power weapons or especially any pve modes like firefight (if its a thing) friendly fire needs to go.

In a pve environment a player should not have to fear getting teamkilled by another player in a vehicle. Maybe bring it back for hardcore modes, which is more like;ly to have a full fireteam on comms acting as a unit, not 8 randoms trying to kill crawlers in scout hogs “AT ALL COSTS!!!11!!111!!”

No you can possibly turn it off in social but ranked I won’t stand for it.

It’s there for a reason. You have to be a lot more careful and smart.

> 2533275031939856;11:
> It’s there for a reason. You have to be a lot more careful and smart.

for some modes i agree but for the generic pve like firefight if its coming back and for any game modes with power weapons especially req weapons if thats coming back it needs to go. Or else you will get players killing teammates to take items they potentially paid real life US dollars for (assuming its like H5 if its a thing). Even still working ones way to the rocket launcher just to get team killed by someone too lazy to run the effort themselves is lame and has nothing to do with being careful or smart. One cannot careful or smart thier way out of premeditated treachery except to give up and let the enemy get the power weapon.

As for pve like firefight, same deal getting run down by the no skill guy in a grey quality unarmed warthog shouldnt be a thing

> 2717573882290912;5:
> The grenade spam in Halo necisates friendly fire, although it would be much more enjoyable if it was reflective friendly fire. If you shoot a teammate it does damage to yourself. That way you can’t kill teammates over weapons and you still need to be cautious with explosive weapons.

This is by far the most reasonable suggestion I have seen for the solution to this problem… If you shoot or melee (intentionally or accidentally) your OWN teammate the damage is reversed and effects YOU. This would not apply to explosive type weapons such as rocket launchers and grenades. Although I’m not entirely sure how this would effect vehicles, especially splatters.
I do think that getting rid of friendly fire all together is still the best option, as it wouldn’t change gameplay very much. But this idea is a GREAT middle ground

> 2533274823140546;12:
> > 2533275031939856;11:
> > It’s there for a reason. You have to be a lot more careful and smart.
>
> for some modes i agree but for the generic pve like firefight if its coming back and for any game modes with power weapons especially req weapons if thats coming back it needs to go. Or else you will get players killing teammates to take items they potentially paid real life US dollars for (assuming its like H5 if its a thing). Even still working ones way to the rocket launcher just to get team killed by someone too lazy to run the effort themselves is lame and has nothing to do with being careful or smart. One cannot careful or smart thier way out of premeditated treachery except to give up and let the enemy get the power weapon.
>
> As for pve like firefight, same deal getting run down by the no skill guy in a grey quality unarmed warthog shouldnt be a thing

I’d be cool with no friendly fire in firefight and WZ. By the way paid loot boxes AKA req packs will not be making a come back :slight_smile:

I’ve always preferred friendly fire enabled in Halo games. I absolutely want it enabled for ranked playlists. But I think disabling it for social playlists would be reasonable.

> 2717573882290912;5:
> The grenade spam in Halo necisates friendly fire, although it would be much more enjoyable if it was reflective friendly fire. If you shoot a teammate it does damage to yourself. That way you can’t kill teammates over weapons and you still need to be cautious with explosive weapons.

I think if people want Friendly Fire to stay, what they should do is what they do during the campaign of H5 if you kill a civilian. Say you’re a jerk player in Slayer and you want that Sniper Rifle for yourself but FiascoKitten99 grabbed it first, so being a jerk, you kill him to grab it off his corpse and -Yoink!- him because no one touches your Sniper rifle that you’ve been working on that montage for! Except, killing FiascoKitten99 also kills you as well.

For anyone who doesn’t know; in the campaign on Halo 5 if you kill one of the civilians on Meridian, the game instakills you (and I think your team) because they don’t like you killing innocent people. So I think what Halo: Infinite should do if they’re going to keep FF in is make it so that if you’re killed by a team mate, they die too.

> 2533274879757912;16:
> > 2717573882290912;5:
> > The grenade spam in Halo necisates friendly fire, although it would be much more enjoyable if it was reflective friendly fire. If you shoot a teammate it does damage to yourself. That way you can’t kill teammates over weapons and you still need to be cautious with explosive weapons.
>
> I think if people want Friendly Fire to stay, what they should do is what they do during the campaign of H5 if you kill a civilian. Say you’re a jerk player in Slayer and you want that Sniper Rifle for yourself but FiascoKitten99 grabbed it first, so being a jerk, you kill him to grab it off his corpse and -Yoink!- him because no one touches your Sniper rifle that you’ve been working on that montage for! Except, killing FiascoKitten99 also kills you as well.
>
> For anyone who doesn’t know; in the campaign on Halo 5 if you kill one of the civilians on Meridian, the game instakills you (and I think your team) because they don’t like you killing innocent people. So I think what Halo: Infinite should do if they’re going to keep FF in is make it so that if you’re killed by a team mate, they die too.

the flaw to that is firefight doesnt have weapon friendly fire, but it does have vehicle damage friendly fire, then you’ll just get lvl 1-10 trolls jumping in front of players to kill grief them. Ok maybe not every single player but i’ve played multiplayer games long enough to know people like that are a thing. theyre out there with the sole purpose of spending their money to mess with you

> 2533274823140546;17:
> > 2533274879757912;16:
> > > 2717573882290912;5:
> > > The grenade spam in Halo necisates friendly fire, although it would be much more enjoyable if it was reflective friendly fire. If you shoot a teammate it does damage to yourself. That way you can’t kill teammates over weapons and you still need to be cautious with explosive weapons.
> >
> > I think if people want Friendly Fire to stay, what they should do is what they do during the campaign of H5 if you kill a civilian. Say you’re a jerk player in Slayer and you want that Sniper Rifle for yourself but FiascoKitten99 grabbed it first, so being a jerk, you kill him to grab it off his corpse and -Yoink!- him because no one touches your Sniper rifle that you’ve been working on that montage for! Except, killing FiascoKitten99 also kills you as well.
> >
> > For anyone who doesn’t know; in the campaign on Halo 5 if you kill one of the civilians on Meridian, the game instakills you (and I think your team) because they don’t like you killing innocent people. So I think what Halo: Infinite should do if they’re going to keep FF in is make it so that if you’re killed by a team mate, they die too.
>
> the flaw to that is firefight doesnt have weapon friendly fire, but it does have vehicle damage friendly fire, then you’ll just get lvl 1-10 trolls jumping in front of players to kill grief them. Ok maybe not every single player but i’ve played multiplayer games long enough to know people like that are a thing. theyre out there with the sole purpose of spending their money to mess with you

Yeah, there honestly is no sure fire way to deal with trolls and griefing players. You just report them and move on, hoping something happens to get them out of your way.

i hope friendly fire stays. it’s an element of the game and i like that people need to watch out a bit for their teammates. betraying for power weapons may be a problem, but the pros of friendly fire outway the negatives in my opinion

Halo 5 did friendly fire right (besides the kick penalties in grifball). There should ABSOLUTELY be friendly fire in arena, you want to win and rank up? Don’t abuse your team mates for your carelessness. Social game modes and Warzone friendly fire should be turned off as explosives like rockets can potentially be everywhere.