Digital Code exchange and Gamestop...

I was at Gamestop the other day, I asked about exchanging the Digital Code for a Physical copy.
Well from my understanding (it is gamestop) Gamestop will not be honoring the code exchange for a physical copy.
The employee explained it would most likely have something to do with MS
Has any other news been released detailing how we would go about exchanging the digital code for a physical copy?

I want to know too!

Preferably I’d like to know more details about the trade too, as I’m now at uni, so downloading the full game isn’t really an option for me…

I’d like to know more about this as well, if someone were to be so kind as to clarify.

well I called a dew gamestops in my area this morning and the results were
either no one knew what I was talking about or they just said they weren’t going to be doing any type of exchange of digital coeds for physical copies…

> 2535415704435845;5:
> well I called a dew gamestops in my area this morning and the results were
> either no one knew what I was talking about or they just said they weren’t going to be doing any type of exchange of digital coeds for physical copies…

Maybe they don’t have the info either… we are ALL just waiting…

I don’t know.

Why would you want to run the risk of losing, scratching, etc. the disc?

Digital is so much better.

Something at the back of my mind is telling me that I’ve seen something somewhere about exchanging the code for a disc.
I think 343 is handling it, not Gamestop. And they said that they would come up with a solution at a later date (That’s all the information I have).

Unfortunately my source is, as I stated, a fuzzy recollection of something I saw somewhere.

Also

> > 2533274924514228;7:
> > Why would you want to run the risk of losing, scratching, etc. the disc?
> >
> > Digital is so much better.
>
> I agree, but I have a friend who is an AVID collector of video game paraphernalia. He INSISTS that he must have a physical copy of the game to add to his collection.

I checked out gamestops return policy and it states
• A receipt is required for all returns and exchanges.
• Unopened new merchandise (except tablets) = full refund within 30 days of purchase.
• Opened new merchandise (including tablets) = identical exchange within 30 days of purchase.
• New accessories (opened or unopened) = full refund within 30 days of purchase.
• Unopened new tablets = full refund within 14 days of purchase.
• Pre-owned merchandise = full refund within 7 days of purchase or identical exchange within 30
days of purchase.
• Downloadable Content (DLC), Digital Games and/or PC Downloads = no returns or exchanges.
So gamestop wont be handling the Digital copy exchange unless MS hands down the orders and makes them go against their own return policy which I highly doubt is going to happen. I’d talk about Wal-Mart and other retailers but we all know how those people work…
I see this as a mail in type system, Mail us your Digital code we will then mail you a physical copy.

I work for EB games Australia and I can tell you that we won’t be doing the digital for physical redemption, game stop owns EB Games, so I would say by proxy they won’t be doing it either
I believe this is strictly a Microsoft website thing, much like the upgrade to CoD ghosts on xbox on for 10$ was a -Yoink!- only deal

Also, bear in mind this

The digital codes will be releasing on the 20th of October (console and LCE ditions) this means that you have access to pre-install the game seven days early
No retailer will swap the DLC for a physical disc because in doing this they would be breaking street date which is a big no no in the business and carries hefty penalties

As I’ve already explained in the main thread, there is no way to verify the codes on a retail level.

> 2533274832130936;11:
> Also, bear in mind this
>
> The digital codes will be releasing on the 20th of October (console and LCE ditions) this means that you have access to pre-install the game seven days early
> No retailer will swap the DLC for a physical disc because in doing this they would be breaking street date which is a big no no in the business and carries hefty penalties

That would make sense. Because if you walk into a store with a digital code, then walk out with a box early, I bet quite a few people would glare holes in the back of your head as you left.
Also, as SPL4ZER BEAM said, digital makes it so that you can’t scratch the disc, and if you go to a different console you can keep you game without removing the disc, or risk leaving the disc in the console when you move it. 'Cause when you move a console with a disc inside it, bad things happen.

> 2533275026260256;13:
> > 2533274832130936;11:
> > Also, bear in mind this
> >
> > The digital codes will be releasing on the 20th of October (console and LCE ditions) this means that you have access to pre-install the game seven days early
> > No retailer will swap the DLC for a physical disc because in doing this they would be breaking street date which is a big no no in the business and carries hefty penalties
>
>
> That would make sense. Because if you walk into a store with a digital code, then walk out with a box early, I bet quite a few people would glare holes in the back of your head as you left.
> Also, as SPL4ZER BEAM said, digital makes it so that you can’t scratch the disc, and if you go to a different console you can keep you game without removing the disc, or risk leaving the disc in the console when you move it. 'Cause when you move a console with a disc inside it, bad things happen.

I suspect that the way it would work ( if it actually was done on the local level ), would be that you would not actually be able to “exchange” the digital code for the hard copy, until the hard copy actually releases.

I will gladly buy any digital copy for $40

> 2533274924514228;7:
> Why would you want to run the risk of losing, scratching, etc. the disc?
>
> Digital is so much better.

Losing your disc? are you that careless? I’ve been playing games for 30+ years, never once have I “lost” a game lol and scratching, sure it could happen, but no scratch has ever stop my disc from working. Are you taking a knife to your discs or throwing them around or something?? lol If you take care of stuff that isn’t an issue at all.

Digital has downsides too. If you don’t have a lot of data that is a problem, if your net is slow, if the company stop offering the game you bought and you don’t have it DL anymore due to space or something, guess what your s*%t out of luck buddy (yes unlikely to happen with Halo, but it has happen with other games) the fact they cost the same price as an actual disc is a joke, actually a lot of the times a physical disc games are much cheaper in stores then online to buy, they should be cheaper then in stores and the biggest ones, you can’t sell it or lend it to your friends if you want.

Digital is good if you have the DATA, the net speed and you know 100% you’ll never want to get ride of that game. Digital is the way the industry wants to go because it will kill the used game market. Personally I’m not a fan of Digital games unless they are free games (like Games for Gold program) and don’t give me the whole you don’t have to leave your couch bit. OMG you have to actually get off your -Yoink- and change your game to play…whatever will people do. How lazy are people!! lol

I’m not buying the Halo 5 system or the LCE partly because you get a digital game and no a physical disc.

> 2533274815533909;16:
> > 2533274924514228;7:
>
>
> Losing your disc? are you that careless? I’ve been playing games for 30+ years, never once have I “lost” a game lol and scratching, sure it could happen, but no scratch has ever stop my disc from working. Are you taking a knife to your discs or throwing them around or something?? lol If you take care of stuff that isn’t an issue at all.
> Digital has downsides too. If you don’t have a lot of data that is a problem, if your net is slow, if the company stop offering the game you bought and you don’t have it DL anymore due to space or something, guess what your s*%t out of luck buddy (yes unlikely to happen with Halo, but it has happen with other games) the fact they cost the same price as an actual disc is a joke, they should be cheaper and the biggest ones, you can’t sell it or lend it to your friends if you want.
> Digital is good if you have the DATA, the net speed and you know 100% you’ll never want to get ride of that game. Digital is the way the industry wants to go because it will kill the used game market. Personally I’m not a fan of Digital games unless they are free games (like Games for Gold program) and don’t give me the whole you don’t have to leave your couch bit. OMG you have to actually get off your -Yoink- and change your game to play…whatever will people do. How lazy are people!! lol
> I’m not buying the Halo 5 system or the LCE partly because you get a digital game and no a physical disc.

I dont like buying discs because you are pretty much paying for a DRM key. The game is not read off disc anymore you are actually paying for an inconvenience in my opinion. And I am willing to bet anything the next generation of systems will be backwards compatible digitally right away while the new systems may not even have a disc drive making these discs worthless. Lets not forget each digital copy gets you 2 copies of the game for the price of 1 as well

> 2533274815533909;16:
> > 2533274924514228;7:
> >
>
>
> Losing your disc? are you that careless? I’ve been playing games for 30+ years, never once have I “lost” a game lol and scratching, sure it could happen, but no scratch has ever stop my disc from working. Are you taking a knife to your discs or throwing them around or something?? lol If you take care of stuff that isn’t an issue at all.
>
> Digital has downsides too. If you don’t have a lot of data that is a problem, if your net is slow, if the company stop offering the game you bought and you don’t have it DL anymore due to space or something, guess what your s*%t out of luck buddy (yes unlikely to happen with Halo, but it has happen with other games) the fact they cost the same price as an actual disc is a joke, they should be cheaper and the biggest ones, you can’t sell it or lend it to your friends if you want.
>
> Digital is good if you have the DATA, the net speed and you know 100% you’ll never want to get ride of that game. Digital is the way the industry wants to go because it will kill the used game market. Personally I’m not a fan of Digital games unless they are free games (like Games for Gold program) and don’t give me the whole you don’t have to leave your couch bit. OMG you have to actually get off your -Yoink- and change your game to play…whatever will people do. How lazy are people!! lol
>
> I’m not buying the Halo 5 system or the LCE partly because you get a digital game and no a physical disc.

Digital is cheaper if you know how to get the discounts. I’m a digital convert, but I agree they should be cheaper baseline, a person shouldn’t have to use alternate methods to get good deals. They eliminate all the retail markup by selling directly to the consumer, we should benefit from that exchange as well.

> 2661949065475413;18:
> > 2533274815533909;16:
> > > 2533274924514228;7:
> > > Why would you want to run the risk of losing, scratching, etc. the disc?
> > >
> > > Digital is so much better.
> >
> >
> > Losing your disc? are you that careless? I’ve been playing games for 30+ years, never once have I “lost” a game lol and scratching, sure it could happen, but no scratch has ever stop my disc from working. Are you taking a knife to your discs or throwing them around or something?? lol If you take care of stuff that isn’t an issue at all.
> >
> > Digital has downsides too. If you don’t have a lot of data that is a problem, if your net is slow, if the company stop offering the game you bought and you don’t have it DL anymore due to space or something, guess what your s*%t out of luck buddy (yes unlikely to happen with Halo, but it has happen with other games) the fact they cost the same price as an actual disc is a joke, they should be cheaper and the biggest ones, you can’t sell it or lend it to your friends if you want.
> >
> > Digital is good if you have the DATA, the net speed and you know 100% you’ll never want to get ride of that game. Digital is the way the industry wants to go because it will kill the used game market. Personally I’m not a fan of Digital games unless they are free games (like Games for Gold program) and don’t give me the whole you don’t have to leave your couch bit. OMG you have to actually get off your -Yoink- and change your game to play…whatever will people do. How lazy are people!! lol
> >
> > I’m not buying the Halo 5 system or the LCE partly because you get a digital game and no a physical disc.
>
>
> Digital is cheaper if you know how to get the discounts. I’m a digital convert, but I agree they should be cheaper baseline, a person shouldn’t have to use alternate methods to get good deals. They eliminate all the retail markup by selling directly to the consumer, we should benefit from that exchange as well.

Sony and Microsoft can not undercut the retailers. This is why if we were all digital from the get go there would be more of a chance at cheaper games. The problem now is the public is so in love with “physical” that gamestop still holds power over the console makers and can control pricing. If Microsoft said we are selling Halo 5 digital for 39.99 and disc is 59.99 gamestop could threaten to not sell the product at all.

I just want 100.00 Steelbook case with code inside I would trade disc for code…looking at my 360 collectors ed. discs are cracked because of case. Really wanted but reality = I will purchase digital and maybe purchase some H5 toys instead :slight_smile: