"Different' Weapon Types?

So I saw in a different thread that people were talking about wanting weapons that were new and did something “different” but they didn’t give any ideas as that wasn’t the thread’s topic. I tried to think of different mechanics to add to halo’s armory but couldn’t think of anything. I was wondering if people who are more creative than me could list some examples of weapons that do “new” things for Infinite. I know it’s a little late to add anything weapon-wise to infinite (unless it takes another 2 years). I just wanted to see your ideas.

I like the idea of weapon classes based on ammunition-for example have the new Shotgun, due to its detachable magazine, be able to fire EMP style rounds that due extra damage to shielded enemies. Or have certain Brute weapons that fire incendiary rounds that do greater damage to unshielded enemies.
While I like design of the new VK77 rifle, having it firing new ammunition types would give it a better feel and function, at least in the Campaign. Going up against a big bad Brute with energy shields, cut through his shields with an EMP barrage. Or dealing with a horde of Grunts, use this Banished incendiary launcher and melt them in their tracks.

Yeah I know we’ve had incendiary grenades and flame throwers. But this wouldn’t do as much damage. But it could have better accuracy at ranges exceeding the flame thrower, or grenades.

I’m in the camp of having select fire modes on certain weapons, like a burst fire SMG for greater accuracy, or a burst fire AR for accuracy, or a semi-auto BR for close quarter. Might make some weapons redundant as hell, but having options isn’t necessarily bad. Maybe this is a Campaign option only, to better round out your arsenal.

Just my thought.

I’ve made this on a couple of posts before on this matter but basically weapons that interact, adapt, and even change the environment of the player or the sandbox itself. An example is a gravity gun that can fling fusion coils, the player, and perhaps certain projectiles. Flamethrowers that can light certain chokepoints on fire, create smoke difficult to see through from far ranges, etc. Ice gun that turns the ground into a slippery cold place making it difficult to vehicles or giving increased speed.

Of course, all of these weapons will have their limits.

Its not that complicated. You don’t even need to go very far back to find some unique mechanics. Halo 5’s req system was full of all sorts of interesting mechanics like Ad Victoriam’s guided missiles, Dying Lights sticky explosives, The gravity field from Void’s Tear and T-50 Delta.

Instead of hiding all these interesting weapon mechanics behind overpowered weapons designed to sell req packs, we could implement a lot them into the core sandbox in a more balanced fashion.

Beyond that there are all sorts of other examples scattered throughout the Halo series. The CE Plasma Rifle had solid base accuracy, a headshot multiplier, and plasma stun whereas every subsequent plasma rifle, repeater, and storm rifle has been little more than a blue SMG. The Reach grenade launcher was one of the best new additions to the series. The Focus Rifle gave the Covenant a long range weapon without just being a purple sniper rifle(aka Beam Rifle.) The ODST SMG set itself apart by being the only scoped auto weapon in the game.

We don’t even need to always rock the boat that much. For example I think the Halo 4 Light Rifle did an excellent job distinguishing itself from the other by virtue of its Scope mechanic. It was a glass cannon that could be used to great effect when you make the best use of both firing modes. It was still fundamentally a scoped headshot weapon like many other’s before it, but with a unique mechanic that set’s it apart from weapons that are otherwise very similar on paper.

Again its not like we need to go completely wacky with the weapon types(though I don’t think we need to be that conservative either), we just need to demand more from our sandbox than a series of pallet swaps with slightly different rates of fire and damage.

Gravity guns (both in the way that Half-Life has them as well as locally modifying gravity for better jumps), time dilation effects (slowing down bullets, maybe even players), “weapons” that shield the player (think “hardlight shield” but as a weapon that has limited ammo).

I’d take all of that over another rifle that just shoots a little faster or slower than the previous 20 anyday.

> 2533274801176260;5:
> Gravity guns (both in the way that Half-Life has them as well as locally modifying gravity for better jumps), time dilation effects (slowing down bullets, maybe even players), “weapons” that shield the player (think “hardlight shield” but as a weapon that has limited ammo).
>
> I’d take all of that over another rifle that just shoots a little faster or slower than the previous 20 anyday.

The Hardlight shield in Halo 4 is Halo’s Riot Shield

How about a needle launcher? It could shoot 5 mini missiles continuously that supercombine on impact.