Different Covenant designs-two subspecies?

Throughout the Halo Universe, the Sangheili looked like this, Unggoy like this, and Kig-Yar like this.
However, Halo 4 introduced a new design for the Sangheili here, Unggoy here, and Kig-Yar here. People have wondered what is going on with these different designs. I’m wonder if the different look is due to them both being different species of the same genus. Much like the history on our planet. There were other Human species, such as Neanderthals, our closet Human relative. Technically a separate species, but still Human. Do you think that’s what it is, different species in the same genus family?

I think you have to see this more like diffrences between modern humans towards each others.
An asian dont look like an eurpean or an african,but all are still the same species:human.
As every one is from a diffrent continent there are diffrences and the same goes for covenant species.

> 2535408730995228;2:
> I think you have to see this more like diffrences between modern humans towards each others.
> An asian dont look like an eurpean or an african,but all are still the same species:human.
> As every one is from a diffrent continent there are diffrences and the same goes for covenant species.

I dunno man. The fact that they can suddenly bite themselves in the eye seems like pretty significant change to me but whatever.

> 2533274840469109;1:
> Throughout the Halo Universe, the Sangheili looked like this, Unggoy like this, and Kig-Yar like this.
> However, Halo 4 introduced a new design for the Sangheili here, Unggoy here, and Kig-Yar here. People have wondered what is going on with these different designs. I’m wonder if the different look is due to them both being different species of the same genus. Much like the history on our planet. There were other Human species, such as Neanderthals, our closet Human relative. Technically a separate species, but still Human. Do you think that’s what it is, different species in the same genus family?

I wish they would make this theory Canon because it would make total sense.

> 2535408730995228;2:
> I think you have to see this more like diffrences between modern humans towards each others.
> An asian dont look like an eurpean or an african,but all are still the same species:human.
> As every one is from a diffrent continent there are diffrences and the same goes for covenant species.

I would agree with this, but the changes are pretty significant.

Can we please stop acting like the h2a elite mouth is the same as bungie’s?

This is a halo 2 elite. Note how it has next to no cheek, and both sets of mandibles start from further back in the head than the eyes. Its mouth moves sort of like a squid’s, making the squid lip jokes make sense.

This is probably the best picture of an h2a elite. The bone structure of the mandibles starts clearly right below the eye, and there is a noticeable cheek there. It moves more like a spider, making the squid lips joke kind of weird.

I also I don’t think the 343 elite can bit his eye, his cheek maybe, but i think it’d take quite a lot of effort to bit its own eye.

> 2535408730995228;2:

I remember 343 saying the Sangheili and Unggoy shown in Halo 4 and 5 are phenotipic differences (like humans’ ethnics). Halo4-5’s Kig-Yar, however, are a different subspecies: more closer to the Kig-Yar’s reptilian ancestor

Welcome to 2012.

> 2533275006069419;6:
> > 2535408730995228;2:
> > I think you have to see this more like diffrences between modern humans towards each others.
> > An asian dont look like an eurpean or an african,but all are still the same species:human.
> > As every one is from a diffrent continent there are diffrences and the same goes for covenant species.
>
> I remember 343 saying the Sangheili and Unggoy shown in Halo 4 and 5 are phenotipic differences (like humans’ ethnics). Halo4-5’s Kig-Yar, however, are a different subspecies: more closer to the Kig-Yar’s reptilian ancestor

Yes, it was stated, that the Kig-Yar we see in Halo 4 and 5 are “Ibie’shan” jackals, while the mainstream ones we see in the other Halo games are of the “Ruuhtian.” Also, the Skirmishers are referred to as the “T’vaoan,” and they feel they are the most superior to their other Kig-Yar brothers.

If they really just cannot include 2 anatomical models in game due to memory limitations, then I kind of just find myself hoping that starting with Halo 6, they give us a model with mandible anatomy that’s kind of halfway between the Bungie and 343 styles - a hybrid, as if someone did a Hollywood transition special effect and froze it halfway thru - and include both old and new armor styles for them in game (which ought to be possible even with memory limitations given that we have a few hundred variants of MJOLNIR in there, I’d tend to think). I feel like that’s the best solution going forward. I really can’t stand the instances of something visually being depicted one way, when canonically we know we’re supposed to be pretending it looks differently. I understand resource limitations are the reason why, but that doesn’t make it any less immersion breaking for me.

Of course then again since we know the 2 different phenotypes are already both canon, I suppose my solution wouldn’t technically be any different. Then neither of them would look exactly right.

So my brain will itch forever.

> 2533274961806222;9:
> If they really just cannot include 2 anatomical models in game due to memory limitations, then I kind of just find myself hoping that starting with Halo 6, they give us a model with mandible anatomy that’s kind of halfway between the Bungie and 343 styles - a hybrid, as if someone did a Hollywood transition special effect and froze it halfway thru - and include both old and new armor styles for them in game (which ought to be possible even with memory limitations given that we have a few hundred variants of MJOLNIR in there, I’d tend to think). I feel like that’s the best solution going forward. I really can’t stand the instances of something visually being depicted one way, when canonically we know we’re supposed to be pretending it looks differently. I understand resource limitations are the reason why, but that doesn’t make it any less immersion breaking for me.
>
> Of course then again since we know the 2 different phenotypes are already both canon, I suppose my solution wouldn’t technically be any different. Then neither of them would look exactly right.
>
> So my brain will itch forever.

In the future they’ll probably be able to include both subspecies. I’m hoping Scorpio will allow them to do this.

See it can’t be simply like a comparison between races in humans, because we all share the same skeletal structure minus several minor differences.

The different phenotypes we see for the Covenant species have drastically different skeletal structures. As such, they’ve got to be a different species, but same genus. This still ties into them being different phenotypes.

See, the artistic changes are realistic. The reason why we only see these phenotypes with certain species is because those said species are oviparous. They lay eggs, further increasing the chances of genetic mutation in different environments, thus bringing about a natural evolution of various phenotypes of the same genus, but different species.

We only see these artistic changes in Sangheili, Kig Yar, and Unggoy. Also, we must include the canoncity of the Sangheili’s jaw structure being genetically diverse within the individual’s genotype; it’s simply a very unique physical structure that gets its shape from the genes passed down from the parents.

The Yanme’e are insectoid and very much arthropodol. Their species’ phenotype will remain intact for the most part, as we see that members of an insect species look very much alike if not identical in their social classes.

In short, the artistic changes had to be made for the sake of realism and fleshing out the Halo universe. Of course, due to resource limitations and technological restraints, trying to showcase them coinciding with one another is hard to do apparently in an FPS game. Unlike Mass Effect, which shows this deal of genetic diversity within members of its species well because it’s an RPG.

I hope this helps. Been wanting to say this for awhile.

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

Lore-wise how you’re describing it makes sense, gameplay wise. They just a different company’s design of elite lol