Didn't play before the 19th but purchased before

Hello 343 Community Team.
I have a curious loophole to the eligibility requirements for your recent compensation giveaway and need to know if there’s anything that can be done.

I purchased the MCC on November 25th, along with some friends. We attempted to play at a friends place and matchmaking would flat out not work. A bit of googling later and I saw that there were the enormous issues, which you’ve done well responding to so fast in constant patches but which should never have been there.
As I also bought Shadow Of Mordor and Farcry I myself just switched games and played those. Yesterday I signed in to Halo and played a bit of campaign (attempted to get a friend to co-op but apparently you can’t even if the whole game you want to co-op is 100% installed, weird).
Today I saw the news that there was to be a giveaway of free content for users who experienced difficulties with the initial launch. I also saw that the end date was December 19th, meaning I missed out on the offer by never trying to play my own copy in that time.

My questions boils down to this. I have a physical copy, I also have a receipt that indicates when I purchased the game (well within the eligible time period). Is there anything that can be done by 343 to make my gamertag eligible?
I do feel I was affected by the issues as I avoided the game for a month and played other stuff due to the bugs, clearly a bad customer experience.

Any help and answers would really be appreciated.

Thanks

As long as you launched the game you will be fine. They are most probably going to run a search to pick up anyone that has been on the game. Otherwise there is no way to prove it.

If you have the proof of receipt then you might be able to be entitled if you contact the support directly. Just find it strange not to launch the game at some point since obviously everyone has different issues.

Yeah I just played on a friends console a couple of times, hit the issues and never bothered installing my copy.
Although I do have my receipt there is no direct support contact for 343, Microsoft support pointed me at these forums. They can’t do anything as 343 are doing it all server side, so I need to hear from someone in community support at 343 I guess.

> 2533274847817277;1:
> Hello 343 Community Team.
> I have a curious loophole to the eligibility requirements for your recent compensation giveaway and need to know if there’s anything that can be done.
>
> I purchased the MCC on November 25th, along with some friends. We attempted to play at a friends place and matchmaking would flat out not work. A bit of googling later and I saw that there were the enormous issues, which you’ve done well responding to so fast in constant patches but which should never have been there.
> As I also bought Shadow Of Mordor and Farcry I myself just switched games and played those. Yesterday I signed in to Halo and played a bit of campaign (attempted to get a friend to co-op but apparently you can’t even if the whole game you want to co-op is 100% installed, weird).
> Today I saw the news that there was to be a giveaway of free content for users who experienced difficulties with the initial launch. I also saw that the end date was December 19th, meaning I missed out on the offer by never trying to play my own copy in that time.
>
> My questions boils down to this. I have a physical copy, I also have a receipt that indicates when I purchased the game (well within the eligible time period). Is there anything that can be done by 343 to make my gamertag eligible?
> I do feel I was affected by the issues as I avoided the game for a month and played other stuff due to the bugs, clearly a bad customer experience.
>
> Any help and answers would really be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I think you are missing the point here. 343 is doing this to make up for all of the pain those of us who purchased the game day one (or in the weeks following) while the game was virtually unplayable. You say you were affected by the issues because you avoided the buying the game, but actually, you DIDN’T suffer because you DIDN’T own the game. You may have been disappointed, but you made the (wise) choice as a consumer to not pay for a broken game. It was not a bad customer experience for you because you were not a customer. Those of us who bought the game without knowing it was broken, we are the ones who got screwed. I don’t really understand why you think you are entitled to this, and I hope that 343 does not include you in this offer.

I’m baffled by all these people on this forum who bought this game but never once tried it for themselves. The game won’t blow up your console. You did not meet the criteria therefore you do not qualify.

> 2533274847736460;6:
> I’m baffled by all these people on this forum who bought this game but never once tried it for themselves. The game won’t blow up your console. You did not meet the criteria therefore you do not qualify.

100% this.

Also, you say that you played it at a friends house. Did you play on your own gamertag? If so, then you are fine and will receive the compensation. If not, sorry (not really sorry, just a figure of speech) but you’re out of luck. They have to draw the line somewhere with how they determine who gets the free compensation, and if you miss out because you bought a game but never even bothered to start it up just once and see what it’s like, that’s nobody’s fault but your own.

I’m going to bump this thread, because as much as I like hearing that everyone has opinions I’m really looking for the final line on this to be drawn by a 343 community manager, rather than members of the general gaming community.