Didact?

It’s been announced that the Didact will be returning, and he did not die after the events of Halo 4 and Halo: Escalation. Any thoughts on how he survived and what his next move may be? The epilogue of Halo 4 had me thinking that maybe the Didact isn’t the last Forerunner alive and we may be seeing some of his old friends (or foes).

I’m not really sure what role he will be playing in the future, but I have a feeling that he won’t be playing as big of a part in Halo 5 as he did in Halo 4. Only time will tell I guess.

I loved the Didact. I think he should make a return, but he keeps dying and re-appearing.

I heard he had been cloned or something of the like from outside sourse of the halo universe but i wasn’t 100% ok with that idea and was not sure if it was even true.

Is anyone else curious what the covenant have been doing this whole time, especially the brutes.

I have this silly theory that he’s going to be part of John’s evolutionary cycle that the Librarian had to acclerate in Halo 4. In the books, young Forerunners receive an imprint of an older Forerunner who “sponsors” them when they evolve. Bornstellar, a Builder, received the Ur-Didact’s imprint and became this kind of Build/Warrior-Servant hybrid, and took on more and more of the Didact’s mannerisms and physical traits, eventually becoming the Iso-Didact.

Now I am not saying John will necessarily undergo such a transformation, but the Librarian certainly did some sort of Forerunner wizardry on him, and I think that it was another imprint from the Didact. My only real piece of evidence here, and dang it I forget the level, is at one point the Didact says something, John tells Cortana to track down the signal, and Cortana replied that she didn’t hear anything. To me, this meant that the Didact was in MC’s head. For those who have read Halo: Primordium, I would suggest that this was not too different from the voices in Chakas’ and Riser’s heads.

Those are my slightly incoherent thoughts on the Didact’s return. Thoughts?

> 2533274883339086;5:
> Is anyone else curious what the covenant have been doing this whole time, especially the brutes.

War is over, they’re probably back home feeling butthurt after having their -Yoinks!- kicked by Master Chief so hard.

I think the “evolution” that the Librarian was simply to make him immune to the composer. Even in Halo 4, the Librarian says

“Reclaimer when I indexed mankind for repopulation, I hid seeds from the Didact. Seeds which would lead to an eventuality. Your physical evolution. Your combat skin. Even your ancilla, Cortana. You are the culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning.”

I don’t see why she would hid it from the Didact, if John were to become the Didact. I also think (I could be wrong) that imprinting must happen at birth.

The Librarian’s wishes were for the Didact to cooperate with humanity.
Perhaps the Didact will eventually help humanity, however only if something ‘big’ happens like teh precursors returning

> 2533274807544947;8:
> I think the “evolution” that the Librarian was simply to make him immune to the composer. Even in Halo 4, the Librarian says
>
> “Reclaimer when I indexed mankind for repopulation, I hid seeds from the Didact. Seeds which would lead to an eventuality. Your physical evolution. Your combat skin. Even your ancilla, Cortana. You are the culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning.”
>
> I don’t see why she would hid it from the Didact, if John were to become the Didact. I also think (I could be wrong) that imprinting must happen at birth.

Well Didact was immune to the composer, so maybe it wasn’t an immunity to the composer so much as it was Didact’s imprint, which would include an immunity. Also, imprints don’t have to be given at birth.

> 2533274847370776;7:
> > 2533274883339086;5:
> > Is anyone else curious what the covenant have been doing this whole time, especially the brutes.
>
>
> War is over, they’re probably back home feeling butthurt after having their -Yoinks!- kicked by Master Chief so hard.

Yeah, the Covenant sure were butthurt when they humilated the UNSC at Requiem.

It would be nice if the didact came back

> 2541987111115424;6:
> I have this silly theory that he’s going to be part of John’s evolutionary cycle that the Librarian had to acclerate in Halo 4. In the books, young Forerunners receive an imprint of an older Forerunner who “sponsors” them when they evolve. Bornstellar, a Builder, received the Ur-Didact’s imprint and became this kind of Build/Warrior-Servant hybrid, and took on more and more of the Didact’s mannerisms and physical traits, eventually becoming the Iso-Didact.
>
> Now I am not saying John will necessarily undergo such a transformation, but the Librarian certainly did some sort of Forerunner wizardry on him, and I think that it was another imprint from the Didact. My only real piece of evidence here, and dang it I forget the level, is at one point the Didact says something, John tells Cortana to track down the signal, and Cortana replied that she didn’t hear anything. To me, this meant that the Didact was in MC’s head. For those who have read Halo: Primordium, I would suggest that this was not too different from the voices in Chakas’ and Riser’s heads.
>
> Those are my slightly incoherent thoughts on the Didact’s return. Thoughts?

I interpret it as Cortana not hearing it due to her falling into a rampancy and is going crazy. Remember the cut scene where John is approaching Ivanoff Station: Cortana suddenly got upset and started rambling about Halsey while John tried to get her to correct their approach to the station. She didn’t “hear” him then either, and they crashed into the station.

I believe that a brevet mutation such as the one Shadows Of Sundered Stars (Ur-Didact) gave Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting in Cryptum isn’t something that is given to someone at birth. Nor is it done in a quick moment. Both parties also have to physically be in the same room together. I’ll come back and edit this post with a quote when I get home and can look in the book, but I remember vaguely that Bornstellar couldn’t deduce how much time had passed, it could be hours or it could be days. The whole experience was extremely unpleasant, and his body and mind ached for months (or years?) after.

Therefore I conclude this (and I can of course be wrong):

There is no way for John getting a brevet mutation by the Ur-Didact because:

• It’s not given at birth, which is suggesting that John got this mutation after he released the Ur-Didact from his Cryptum
  • It is nothing that could be hidden, John would feel physical pain as well as mental pain, just like Bornstellar did
  • Both the Ur-Didact and John must hook up into Forerunner machines for hours or days. If this was indeed done, then there is no way for 343i to hide this fact from us the readers/players. There is simply no way for the canon to explain how John got this brevet mutation in the Halo 4 campaign without either him or us knowing.I do support the theory of John having a geas though. It would be a really cool twist. I could see how one of the ancient humans best warriors is his geas. I’m a bit fuzzy on the lore details, but would it be possible for the Lord of Admirals to be Johns geas? Or is that geas already “spent” on Chakas? Either way, instead of us (the players) and John the character hearing Cortana and having her help us, we would have this ancient and experienced human as our geas, guiding us.

> 2541987111115424;6:
> I have this silly theory that he’s going to be part of John’s evolutionary cycle that the Librarian had to acclerate in Halo 4. In the books, young Forerunners receive an imprint of an older Forerunner who “sponsors” them when they evolve. Bornstellar, a Builder, received the Ur-Didact’s imprint and became this kind of Build/Warrior-Servant hybrid, and took on more and more of the Didact’s mannerisms and physical traits, eventually becoming the Iso-Didact.
>
> Now I am not saying John will necessarily undergo such a transformation, but the Librarian certainly did some sort of Forerunner wizardry on him, and I think that it was another imprint from the Didact. My only real piece of evidence here, and dang it I forget the level, is at one point the Didact says something, John tells Cortana to track down the signal, and Cortana replied that she didn’t hear anything. To me, this meant that the Didact was in MC’s head. For those who have read Halo: Primordium, I would suggest that this was not too different from the voices in Chakas’ and Riser’s heads.
>
> Those are my slightly incoherent thoughts on the Didact’s return. Thoughts?

I remember that level too. I think a lot of what you’re saying could definitely be true. Having read the Forerunner saga, it definitely fits in with a lot of what occurs in Primordium.

spoilers

I don’t think he will be a huge factor especially since he dies in the comics.

> 2533275007814640;15:
> spoilers
>
> I don’t think he will be a huge factor especially since he dies in the comics.

I’m not totally convinced he is dead

we think he is immune to the composer, but it looks like he was composed at the end of the next 72 hrs, so we dont know wat happened to him honestly

i dont think he will play a big role but his other friends will play a major role.

An interesting factor is if the Didact was ‘successfully composed’ by the combined convulsions of 5 composers… perhaps due to the interferance effect overlapping composing wayliness… is up for speculation; yet if the theory holds his entire personality would have been transferred to the Composer Abyss, ironically on the entirety of Installation 03, which seems to be being transfered to Installation 00, by 859 Static Carillon… which is infected by the Logic Plague… and it was proved back in the Forerunner-Flood War that the infected forerunners, even if they were composed and put into a new carapass body… the mind was still infected, a sort of growing intellect, much like the Flood which was adaptable… and eventually made the hosts crumble and fail in form; now this was the normal Flood infection, however, being infected by the Logic Plague is similar, yet not the same as the mind alterating effects of the Flood infection… so he will be a maddened composed Forerunner, who may actually assist the Flood… curious indeed!

> 2533274906745123;16:
> > 2533275007814640;15:
> > spoilers
> >
> > I don’t think he will be a huge factor especially since he dies in the comics.
>
>
> I’m not totally convinced he is dead

He’s not dead. Brian Reed confirmed it via his twitter due to the fuss generated by that issue of the comic (the tweets in question have since been deleted however). Whatever happened to him clearly seems to have something to do with the 5 Composers that were at the Forge when the piece of the Halo crashed into them…but what exactly we just don’t know at this point. :\