Didact Humanity is the greatest threat

Ok, in the game play trailer, I am pretty sure after a few listens, that Didact is claiming Humanity is the greatest threat in the GALAXIES. Plural.

Can anybody confirm or deny the actual dialogue?

Considering that we have barely been outside the Milky Way, I do not see how any sentient beings, even the Flood, could be considered a Universal threat. Possibly a threat to the Local Group of Galaxies, which I thought is what Didact may be implying.

Especially if we know Precursors/Flood may be in the Andromeda or Magellanic Cloud galaxies.

I think 343 has done well in advancing our fiction from the look of it. Very excited!

The Flood not a threat to the galaxy? The Forerunners couldn’t even stop them without killing every sentient species in the galaxy, the Flood definitely ranks high on the threat scale.

I wouldn’t take the word of the Didact. He seems he has been corrupted or he may be blaming us for the death of the Librarian.

> The Flood not a threat to the galaxy? The Forerunners couldn’t even stop them without killing every sentient species in the galaxy, the Flood definitely ranks high on the threat scale.

I said the Flood nor anything else can be considered a UNIVERSAL threat.

> I wouldn’t take the word of the Didact. He seems he has been corrupted or he may be blaming us for the death of the Librarian.

Isnt it implied in Primordium that she may yet be alive in some form? Although the Didact would have no way of knowing that.

> > I wouldn’t take the word of the Didact. It seems he has been corrupted or may blame us for the death of the Librarian.
>
> Isn’t it implied in Primordium that she may yet be alive in some form? Although the Didact would have no way of knowing that.

Even though Halo 4 comes out in a couple weeks, I get the feeling we’ll have to wait for Silentium to come out to get many of our answers. Also, I don’t think we need to hide Primordium “spoilers” anymore.

Frankly I wouldn’t be surpsrised if this was a trailer-only audio. Hollywood does it all the time - compresses the dialogue from characters and scenes and cuts it up into a sound bite meant to grab your attention during a commercial. Then again, if that was the Didact, and he did indeed say those words, then I’m guessing he’s been corrupted like Caprandude said.

Well you see, there’s quite a lot that could make Humanity the greatest threat in the Galaxy.

First thing to note, the Covenant cannot use the Halo rings alone. No matter how much they might have wanted to they wouldn’t have been able to kill everyone with them. Humans on the other hand have been handed the keys to the kill everyone machines.

Which to me seems like a very stupid thing to do. But yes, Humans are already quite a threat due to being the only ones other than the Forerunners who can kill everyone in the galaxy.

But you see, the real concern isn’t necessarily that but rather what happens when humanity attains “the Mantle”. The Precursors are likely still out there and likely have yet to throw their proper test at us. And if the Didact were to eliminate humanity their would be no risk of a future test.

The question is did the presumed Didact say “Galaxy” or “GalaxIES?”

> But you see, the real concern isn’t necessarily that but rather what happens when humanity attains “the Mantle”. The Precursors are likely still out there and likely have yet to throw their proper test at us. And if the Didact were to eliminate humanity their would be no risk of a future test.

I do not understand how we have not been tested by the Precursors “proper.” The Flood attacked us and the Prophet species 100,000 years ago before it attacked the Forerunner. How can that be considered their test and not ours.

We have had to fight off Flood infection again in modern times. Again, this doesn’t count as a test for Humanity? A lot of folks are drawing some pretty speculative conclusions.

Obviously it may or may not be our test. And the Didact trying to eliminate us to remove the possibility of the Precursors returning to test us makes no sense. First of all, the Forerunner drove them from the galaxy (a tier 0 species) somehow - I cannot wait to find out about this war. The Precursor would have to finish testing the Forerunner or at least continue their revenge plot anyway. Eliminating their main potential ally in this conflict does not compute. Especially after they anointed us their successors or Inheritors, and even gave us the keys to their “death machines.”

I appreciate this conversation.

> > But you see, the real concern isn’t necessarily that but rather what happens when humanity attains “the Mantle”. The Precursors are likely still out there and likely have yet to throw their proper test at us. And if the Didact were to eliminate humanity their would be no risk of a future test.
>
> I do not understand how we have not been tested by the Precursors “proper.” The Flood attacked us and the Prophet species 100,000 years ago before it attacked the Forerunner. How can that be considered their test and not ours.
>
> <mark>We have had to fight off Flood infection again in modern times. Again, this doesn’t count as a test for Humanity? A lot of folks are drawing some pretty speculative conclusions.</mark>

The Flood on Installation 04 was released “accidentally” by the Covenant. On Installation 05 the Flood was already mysteriously released. Some speculate that a similar ship from Terminal 5 in CEA might have something to do with it…

> Obviously it may or may not be our test. And the Didact trying to eliminate us to remove the possibility of the Precursors returning to test us makes no sense. First of all, the Forerunner drove them from the galaxy (a tier 0 species) somehow - I cannot wait to find out about this war. The Precursor would have to finish testing the Forerunner or at least continue their revenge plot anyway. Eliminating their main potential ally in this conflict does not compute. Especially after they anointed us their successors or Inheritors, and even gave us the keys to their “death machines.”
>
> I appreciate this conversation.

I suspect that the Ur-Didact may have been twisted and corrupted by the Primordial when he was abondoned in a Flood-infested star system. As for the Precursors, the Primordial told us that some of the Precursors escaped the galaxy - out of the Forerunner’s reach seeing how they’re a Tier 1.

> <mark>Well you see, there’s quite a lot that could make Humanity the greatest threat in the Galaxy.</mark>
>
> First thing to note, the Covenant cannot use the Halo rings alone. No matter how much they might have wanted to they wouldn’t have been able to kill everyone with them. Humans on the other hand have been handed the keys to the kill everyone machines.
>
> Which to me seems like a very stupid thing to do. But yes, Humans are already quite a threat due to being the only ones other than the Forerunners who can kill everyone in the galaxy.
>
> But you see, the real concern isn’t necessarily that but rather what happens when humanity attains “the Mantle”. The Precursors are likely still out there and likely have yet to throw their proper test at us. And if the Didact were to eliminate humanity their would be no risk of a future test.

sigh I find it hilarious that people think Humanity could be a bigger threat than the Forerunners…

I was confused by this as well. Unless he knows info about Oni. Cause they do dumb things from time to time.

> I was confused by this as well. Unless he knows info about Oni. Cause they do dumb things from time to time.

The things Oni has done is absolutely nothing compared to what the Covenant has done in the name of their religion. I can’t wait to find out what happened to him to make him hate humans the way he currently does, because that hasn’t always been the case necessarily. It’s either corruption, madness, or just a misunderstanding (awkward).

> I was confused by this as well. Unless he knows info about Oni. Cause they do dumb things from time to time.

Are you confirming that he says “GalaxIES” plural? I have not had a chance to listen again today but on multiple listens yesterday I thought he said more than one galaxy each time.

> > <mark>Well you see, there’s quite a lot that could make Humanity the greatest threat in the Galaxy.</mark>
> >
> > First thing to note, the Covenant cannot use the Halo rings alone. No matter how much they might have wanted to they wouldn’t have been able to kill everyone with them. Humans on the other hand have been handed the keys to the kill everyone machines.
> >
> > Which to me seems like a very stupid thing to do. But yes, Humans are already quite a threat due to being the only ones other than the Forerunners who can kill everyone in the galaxy.
> >
> > But you see, the real concern isn’t necessarily that but rather what happens when humanity attains “the Mantle”. The Precursors are likely still out there and likely have yet to throw their proper test at us. And if the Didact were to eliminate humanity their would be no risk of a future test.
>
> sigh I find it hilarious that people think Humanity could be a bigger threat than the Forerunners…

The Forerunner aren’t likely to consider themselves a threat.

But the humans that have been handed the keys to all of the Forerunner’s genocidal equipment? While the Covenant might have been a threat they were incapable of actually using the Halo rings.

So the one species other than the Forerunner capable of initiating galaxy wide genocide is by nature the largest threat out there from their perspective.

And since we’re discussing why a Forerunner might think what they do it matters little how much of a threat a Forerunner is.

Why wouldn’t Humanity be considered a bigger threat than the Forerunners at the time?

Right now we are searching and have found a few Halo rings and set up research stations on them (Installations 3 and 6). We are using Forerunner technology and gaining the leg up on the former Covenant species. But the real kicker is ONI. ONI’s aggressive behavior as of late may be one of the reasons for Didact to see Humanity as the biggest threat in the galaxy.

Imagine if we discovered how to transport the Halos to any system using Slipspace in an instant? Imagine if we could do what the Master Builder did, and use the Halos on a local scale blast and wipe out just one world? ONI would abuse the hell out of that power. Humanity is once again rising in “arrogance and defiance” just as the Primordial said we would. Now, the time for the Precursors’ “test” may have come, and the Didact may be their instrument.

Of course, this is all speculation.