Did we learn anything new in this update? Really?

We didn’t learn much more about the update today…

The most important stuff we already knew Assault Spiritual Successor, Griffball, Fiesta…

There was even dedicated sections for things that happened already like blue team color change, Arena Breakout removal etc…

I’m disappointed overall due to re-using news but knowing a little bit more about Assault is nice…

I found it interesting that they’ve been playtesting Grifball for MONTHS. I’m seriously dissapointed. From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.

And fiesta could’ve been here from the start, just give us the damn options to tune up custom games!

> 2533274905097737;2:
> I found it interesting that they’ve been playtesting Grifball for MONTHS. I’m seriously dissapointed. From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
>
> And fiesta could’ve been here from the start, just give us the damn options to tune up custom games!

This is the first time I’ve felt slapped in the face :confused:

Not a fan of them announcing new stuff then saying community update coming soon! Then just telling us the same thing again pretty much…

People complain here all the time and I hate it but at this moment I’m kind of with them…

Also he update has disappeared for me, I read it, went to forums and back again and it’s gone…

> 2533274905097737;2:
> From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.

You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.

> 2533274796457055;5:
> > 2533274905097737;2:
> > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
>
>
> You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.

The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.

> 2533274905097737;6:
> > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> >
> >
> > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
>
>
> The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.

Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?

Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:

> 2533274796457055;5:
> > 2533274905097737;2:
> > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
>
>
> You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.

Thing is they’re not just balancing grifball, they’re balancing grifball as a custom variant of a more generic ball mode, that is, in itself, being tweaked likely every couple days. They might find a decent balance, then find they need to change some things about the ball mode, which means they need to rebalance and retest everything about grifball (and oddball, and assault) all over again. And again, and again, and again… This is how software development works, let alone game creation. It’s some of the hardest stuff out there you can do as a job. Really.

Also because they’re all part of one mode, they can’t just release grifball because it’s working. They have to have all versions of it working before they can release any of it.

> 2533274884387290;4:
> Also he update has disappeared for me, I read it, went to forums and back again and it’s gone…

And it’s back, anyone else notice this?

> 2533274905097737;6:
> > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> >
> >
> > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
>
>
> The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.

As someone who works in software testing (and knows a few things about software development, and talks to the guys who do it all the time) you are just about as far as you can get from correct.

> 2533274796457055;7:
> > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > >
> > >
> > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> >
> >
> > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
>
>
> Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
>
> Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:

Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?

I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.

> 2533274905097737;11:
> > 2533274796457055;7:
> > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> > >
> > >
> > > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
> >
> >
> > Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
> >
> > Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:
>
>
> Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?
>
> I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.

Hang on. Lemme go get Taco to explain. He’s better at this than I am. :slight_smile:

> 2533274905097737;11:
> > 2533274796457055;7:
> > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> > >
> > >
> > > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
> >
> >
> > Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
> >
> > Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:
>
>
> Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?
>
> I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.

But this isn’t any of the three previous Halo games. It plays totally differently. You can’t just slap old rules on a new game.
I’d love to have had it at launch, of course, but don’t shrug it off as simple is all I’m getting at.

> 2533274802029738;13:
> > 2533274905097737;11:
> > > 2533274796457055;7:
> > > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
> > >
> > >
> > > Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
> > >
> > > Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:
> >
> >
> > Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?
> >
> > I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.
>
>
> But this isn’t any of the three previous Halo games. It plays totally differently. You can’t just slap old rules on a new game.
> I’d love to have had it at launch, of course, but don’t shrug it off as simple is all I’m getting at.

Yeah. And even within the same game, the settings are constantly changing and being tweaked.

Like Sam said, there are a lot of finer details about the gametype that get discussed in our community, especially now with all the various options and toggles they have given us. And like someone else said earlier, they aren’t just building Grifball, they’re building an entirely new gametype that encompasses Grifball, Oddball, Ricochet, Assault, and more. They have to test the gametype as a whole, so even though we did some testing to help them have a place to start with Grifball, they still have to do more testing before they release it. I was hoping to see Grifball much sooner than this as well, but I’m just happy and excited to be getting it this month. Our community is itching for things to do, so I’m glad they’ll finally be able to have stuff to do this month.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I guess all I have to say now is, all this ball stuff better work. I suppose I would rather have a working oddball, assault, AND grifball instead of just the one.

We learned plenty of new things. We new Ball modes were coming out and fiesta was on track for release but we didnt know how the abilities would play into these modes (atleast I did not know, cant really generalize for everyone). Also not many people realized they took out arena breakout or made tweaks to the ranking system so there is nothing wrong with adding that.

> 2533274796457055;14:
> > 2533274802029738;13:
> > > 2533274905097737;11:
> > > > 2533274796457055;7:
> > > > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
> > > >
> > > > Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:
> > >
> > >
> > > Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?
> > >
> > > I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.
> >
> >
> > But this isn’t any of the three previous Halo games. It plays totally differently. You can’t just slap old rules on a new game.
> > I’d love to have had it at launch, of course, but don’t shrug it off as simple is all I’m getting at.
>
>
> Yeah. And even within the same game, the settings are constantly changing and being tweaked.

I understand you are a moderator and all that, but im not gonna be a kiss-up and blindly agree. How many of you are game designers? how many of you even use basic game modeling tools like forge mode? That numbers gonna be real slim, so lemme inform yall on something.

It takes 1 (just 1) hour to build a halo map from the ground up. ONE hour and we have a map we can use that was created by any ole joe (or myself, and i have no formal training in the game design field).

It takes not more than 15 minutes to fully build a game type for the map you just built (assuming it isnt just basic slayer, but maybe a “legendary” GT for nastalgia). Once again, i am not being paid, trained professionally, or assisted to make this in 15 minutes.

In an inventor or CAD program, i can build a floor plan for a home in less than a week (everything, including all views, wall details, plumbing, beam placement, supports, windows, doors, etc…). A floor plan for a home in the construction field cannot possibly take less time than a -Yoinking!- GT like flood. All flood is is just tag. Thats it. You die, you switch teams. Super -Yoinking!- simple. The reason for the wait is -Yoink- developers who try to spoon feed the community so they stay interested. NEVER EVER come back and say “they need more time” for a -Yoinking!- GT they ACTUALLY CAN slap together in a week.

Also, before anybody replies with idiotic comments like “dont play the game” or “why did you just come here to be negative” think about this. I played through every other halo game, many many times, and enjoyed them. Unlike you youngins who came over from COD, I actually know what halo was and what it was meant to be so shut up. I havent looked at these forums in a couple months, but i come back to see “halo isnt dead” and “this update wasnt the best but…” Wow. Ok, so since i left nothing has changed. 343 is just a dirty business now, and they dont give any -Yoinks!- about “the good of halo” or its evolution or any of that. They want money, and they aim to please the crowds, which are all you kids and fanboys who dont care about real quality. Thats the reality of the situation, believe what you want.

Things game modes are very overdue but lets not be ungrateful! How does it look if we bash them for FINALLY giving us some of what we want! I’m very pleased were getting them now!
Please for the love of God!!! INFECTION! (No more SKINS! Until we get our beloved infection/living dead)! Unless the Skin is supreme pizza cause pepperoni cant be a balanced diet!

> 2533274959783086;18:
> > 2533274796457055;14:
> > > 2533274802029738;13:
> > > > 2533274905097737;11:
> > > > > 2533274796457055;7:
> > > > > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > > > > 2533274796457055;5:
> > > > > > > > 2533274905097737;2:
> > > > > > > > From no more than a week after they launched the first game of grifball, it should’ve been added in. It can’t be hard to balance.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > You’d be surprised at how wrong this is.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The only hard part I can think of would be balancing the hammer and correcting hammer physics.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Noooope. How fast should the runner go? Can you throw the ball? Is there sprint? Should you be able to ground pound? Slide? Is there hammer jumping? What settings should the runner vs tanks have?
> > > > >
> > > > > Trust me. It’s far from easy and I usually end up with a massive migraine after listening to it all. :frowning:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Game settings that have been set up already for the three previous Halo games?
> > > >
> > > > I’m sure there’s more to it, but imo, there is no reason we should be getting this stuff 4 months later.
> > >
> > >
> > > But this isn’t any of the three previous Halo games. It plays totally differently. You can’t just slap old rules on a new game.
> > > I’d love to have had it at launch, of course, but don’t shrug it off as simple is all I’m getting at.
> >
> >
> > Yeah. And even within the same game, the settings are constantly changing and being tweaked.
>
>
> I understand you are a moderator and all that, but im not gonna be a kiss-up and blindly agree. How many of you are game designers? how many of you even use basic game modeling tools like forge mode? That numbers gonna be real slim, so lemme inform yall on something.
>
> It takes 1 (just 1) hour to build a halo map from the ground up. ONE hour and we have a map we can use that was created by any ole joe (or myself, and i have no formal training in the game design field).
>
> It takes not more than 15 minutes to fully build a game type for the map you just built (assuming it isnt just basic slayer, but maybe a “legendary” GT for nastalgia). Once again, i am not being paid, trained professionally, or assisted to make this in 15 minutes.
>
> In an inventor or CAD program, i can build a floor plan for a home in less than a week (everything, including all views, wall details, plumbing, beam placement, supports, windows, doors, etc…). A floor plan for a home in the construction field cannot possibly take less time than a -Yoinking!- GT like flood. All flood is is just tag. Thats it. You die, you switch teams. Super -Yoinking!- simple. The reason for the wait is -Yoink- developers who try to spoon feed the community so they stay interested. NEVER EVER come back and say “they need more time” for a -Yoinking!- GT they ACTUALLY CAN slap together in a week.
>
>
> Also, before anybody replies with idiotic comments like “dont play the game” or “why did you just come here to be negative” think about this. I played through every other halo game, many many times, and enjoyed them. Unlike you youngins who came over from COD, I actually know what halo was and what it was meant to be so shut up. I havent looked at these forums in a couple months, but i come back to see “halo isnt dead” and “this update wasnt the best but…” Wow. Ok, so since i left nothing has changed. 343 is just a dirty business now, and they dont give any -Yoinks!- about “the good of halo” or its evolution or any of that. They want money, and they aim to please the crowds, which are all you kids and fanboys who dont care about real quality. Thats the reality of the situation, believe what you want.

I have to idea what your talking about “it takes 1 hour to make a map” ummmmm no, maybe its first iteration but it can take a while to make a good forge map. Create it, test it, edit it, test it, edit it etc. Ypu have to take into consideration movement, ability usage, weapon placement, usage of space, design itself can take more than 1 hour. You have obviously never forged a map.

Now creating a map (original, not forged) can take longer. Not only do you have to do all of the above but also all the art and lighting as well as effect placements. Those alone can take up to a week.

If abilities were the same as past games we would have the modes already but guess what they are not. We dont know how many variations of the modes have been tested, we dont know how many tweaks they have made to the abilities. Balancing the ball carrier so it keeps a similar feel as before as well as implementing the abilities so they stay balanced and fit the game speed again can only be achieved by create, test, edit and so on.

Oh someone can make a floor plan, but do they have to than have to walk around the space, judge the sight lines, adjust the fields of cover for weapon fire. Choose weapon placement to create choke points and map control areas? NO! they do not, you have no idea what it takes to make a map and are comparing it to something thats similar to it in its most basic form.