Did the Splinter Grenade get nerfed?

Back in the day it used to be an instant kill when it was a direct hit. Lately it is not. I don’t care either way I just would like to know so I can plan accordingly. If it didn’t get nerfed, what changed or what strange series of coincidences am I experiencing?

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTP-0C2gay0
Exhibit B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpInyUASJVg
Exhibit C & D (wtf lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ7t2PVIUnQ

It did work when the guy was half dead in this case:

Thanks.

I think people just figured out how to counter it, it was mostly being complained about when the game first released.

There’s a counter for a direct hit? I must learn this.

> 2533274827485632;3:
> There’s a counter for a direct hit? I must learn this.

Lul, I don’t think so… Seriously though, I think 343 would tell us if it was nerfed, or maybe someone at 343 changed it a bit without anyone knowing, that isn’t unheard on for game devs.

Yeah I’ve noticed tons of direct hits that don’t kill and sometimes inflict very little damage. What is the deal with that? Was is changed/nerfed without us being told or did I somehow manage to only every witness it being super effective?

It’s ridiculous. Why are they making these types of grenades into instant detonations?

They’re clearly meant to be used for denying access through certain routes. You put pressure on a player and cause them to walk into a trap, or you just abuse their natural recklessness by placing it in a smart position.

So why are they making instantly detonate? It completely destroys the point of having such a grenade. No one’s going to use the grenade smartly if it’s simply a better tactic to use it mindlessly. This is like, common sense here.

I think when you throw the grenade, it should stay in place and not bounce so you can be accurate when deploying it. The grenade immediately activates and the energy particles begin to formulate, putting themselves in place. However, they don’t respond to player contact and they don’t become an immediate threat until the minefield finishes setting itself up.

And yes I call it the minefield. They call it the splinter grenade, I think that’s a stupid name. I think Minefield sounds way more catchy, but that’s another debate entirely, don’t wanna get off-topic.

Arena got a ninja nerf with the shadow and light update

weapons got some ammunition balances and i wouldnt be surprised if the hit boxes for splinter nades was reduced

It’s a grenade first, an area/access denier second.

> 2533274809541057;8:
> It’s a grenade first, an area/access denier second.

Works perfectly well when protecting the core in Warzone Assault in that manner.

Upon impact, the grenade explodes outwards a couple feet, so if the victim thrusts backwards away from the AOE, they’ll take little to no damage. As stated, it’s an area-denial grenade. Not a sticky grenade.

> 2535461821732932;6:
> It’s ridiculous. Why are they making these types of grenades into instant detonations?
>
> They’re clearly meant to be used for denying access through certain routes. You put pressure on a player and cause them to walk into a trap, or you just abuse their natural recklessness by placing it in a smart position.
>
> So why are they making instantly detonate? It completely destroys the point of having such a grenade. No one’s going to use the grenade smartly if it’s simply a better tactic to use it mindlessly. This is like, common sense here.
>
> I think when you throw the grenade, it should stay in place and not bounce so you can be accurate when deploying it. The grenade immediately activates and the energy particles begin to formulate, putting themselves in place. However, they don’t respond to player contact and they don’t become an immediate threat until the minefield finishes setting itself up.
>
> And yes I call it the minefield. They call it the splinter grenade, I think that’s a stupid name. I think Minefield sounds way more catchy, but that’s another debate entirely, don’t wanna get off-topic.

Because it has next to no blast radius. Compromises and such.

> 2533274799135257;11:
> > 2535461821732932;6:
> > It’s ridiculous. Why are they making these types of grenades into instant detonations?
> >
> > They’re clearly meant to be used for denying access through certain routes. You put pressure on a player and cause them to walk into a trap, or you just abuse their natural recklessness by placing it in a smart position.
> >
> > So why are they making instantly detonate? It completely destroys the point of having such a grenade. No one’s going to use the grenade smartly if it’s simply a better tactic to use it mindlessly. This is like, common sense here.
> >
> > I think when you throw the grenade, it should stay in place and not bounce so you can be accurate when deploying it. The grenade immediately activates and the energy particles begin to formulate, putting themselves in place. However, they don’t respond to player contact and they don’t become an immediate threat until the minefield finishes setting itself up.
> >
> > And yes I call it the minefield. They call it the splinter grenade, I think that’s a stupid name. I think Minefield sounds way more catchy, but that’s another debate entirely, don’t wanna get off-topic.
>
>
> Because it has next to no blast radius. Compromises and such.

It shouldn’t need to have a blast radius either because it’s not an offensive weapon. It’s supposed to be a man-made barrier used to cut off access to certain areas. It’s also supposed to be a static minefield where you flank and pressure targets, manipulating their movement to have them walk into your grenade. All that is nullified when you give it an instant detonation or a blast radius, because it’s not supposed to be an offensive tool, but a defensive one.

We also have two offensive grenades, ones which are actually more skillful. It’s really just redundant to have the grenade fill the same exact purpose, when it can do something entirely on its own where it’s unmatched. The problem with Halo, much of the time, is that it’s just layer after layer of redundancy. The grenade can have its own unique role and be a thing of its own, but people don’t like strategy, so we have to make it a noob’s tool with zero smart thinking required from the player. You just toss it and have it blow up. We already have so many things that do that, so what’s the point? Why not try to add variety to the overall sandbox, by featuring a grenade that does something completely different, for example? Why do so many things have to be used in the same exact, repetitive way?

You tell me what’s a better idea, variety or redundancy? The Splinter Grenade plays into this because it’s such a major missed opportunity.

It has seemed to lose some effectiveness.

This thread wasn’t supposed to be about how they should be used. I was just curious if something changed without my knowledge. Seems like I’m not along though.

That said, I use every grenade in my inventory to direct traffic. Sure the SG is most effective at that job but that doesn’t mean that’s the only thing it’s used for. The variety is great but it has to be balanced with the fact you don’t spawn with them, so everything needs a level of redundancy if you want balance. It’s a double-edged sword for sure. TBH, I wouldn’t cry if they took all of the Promethean weapons out of the game entirely lol.

Anyway, if they changed it I don’t care, I’ll adapt, but I’d like to know so I’m not in these situations. If you look at the videos the guys are running forward through them, so it’s not a matter of thrusting backwards.

I also feel like frag grenades are less effective. I’ve shot a guy a few times with various weapons and then watched him stand on my frag grenade and not die. But my only evidence here is anecdotal, and maybe I didn’t land my shots like I thought I did. The change with the SGs is very obvious though.

Frag grenades seem to have gotten WORSE to me, but Splinter grenades are suddenly half as effective. I used to hold on to one as a failsafe on maps that have a sword, but now they just charge through them unfazed.

I’m fine with nerfs/buffs, as long as they’re announced. Don’t let me go into situations expecting one thing and getting something entirely different.

> 2533274873204041;16:
> Frag grenades seem to have gotten WORSE to me, but Splinter grenades are suddenly half as effective. I used to hold on to one as a failsafe on maps that have a sword, but now they just charge through them unfazed.
>
> I’m fine with nerfs/buffs, as long as they’re announced. Don’t let me go into situations expecting one thing and getting something entirely different.

clawhamm3r agrees with Foghammer.

There’s a delay from the moment it hits you and when the splinters can hurt you. When the game launched, people just kept walking when one was thrown at them. Now, people know to change direction as soon as possible, not getting hit by the splinters, and therefore not dying.

i can confirm without a doubt that splinter or promethan grenades are working as intended
& still kill upon impact, i just today got myself a few kills with it.

Maybe. Afterall, they added scripting to deadlock without telling anyone (pretty sure they did. Unless I missed that.)

I don’t care though, since I already got the commendation for it. yoink you, got mine, as they say.