Did the Halo 4 Elites not get the message?

Elites were betrayed and murdered at the hands of the Covenant back in Halo 2. How come Elites still serve the Covenant in Halo 4 - and what happened to the Brutes? How could they justify fighting for a cause that committed genocide against their own people?

The Covenant as we know from Halo Wars to 3 are not the same as the one we encountered in Halo 4. If you remember in the first mission Dawn, Chief said “I thought we had a truce with the Covenant”. That quote means we are encountering a different type of “Covenant”. The 3 prophets Truth, Mercy and Regret have been killed on screen. If you remember from Halo 3, Truth gets sworded by Arby in the back symbolising the end of the Covenant. Like I said, the “Covenant” we encountered in Halo 4 are not Covies from the Halo trilogy.

With the Brutes, the only I know is that there’s still some tension left between the elites and the brutes after the Great Schism.

I’m not the type who can explain Halo lore to you but I think that’ll answer your question.

Have you been gone from Halo’s lore since 2011-2012 or something?
The Elites in Halo 4 are a group of Elites you fight who aren’t with the Arbiter and call themselves the Storm Covenant or “Jul M’dama’s covenant”

As for Brute’s, Brute’s largely don’t exist in the Storm Covenant to my knowledge, but during Halo 5 we can all but say the Storm covenant was destroyed when Jul M’dama died at the start of Halo 5 for literally no reason lol.

> 2533274887581216;3:
> Have you been gone from Halo’s lore since 2011-2012 or something?
> The Elites in Halo 4 are a group of Elites you fight who aren’t with the Arbiter and call themselves the Storm Covenant or “Jul M’dama’s covenant”
>
> As for Brute’s, Brute’s largely don’t exist in the Storm Covenant to my knowledge, but during Halo 5 we can all but say the Storm covenant was destroyed when Jul M’dama died at the start of Halo 5 for literally no reason lol.

I’ve only played the Halo games, so I’m sorta lost with as to why the Elites went from being allies in 3 to enemies in 4, and why the Covenant was “back” when all the leaders were killed and in Halo 3 the Elites seemed to have driven off the remaining Covenant forces, and were returning home.

> 2535464646167835;4:
> > 2533274887581216;3:
> > Have you been gone from Halo’s lore since 2011-2012 or something?
> > The Elites in Halo 4 are a group of Elites you fight who aren’t with the Arbiter and call themselves the Storm Covenant or “Jul M’dama’s covenant”
> >
> > As for Brute’s, Brute’s largely don’t exist in the Storm Covenant to my knowledge, but during Halo 5 we can all but say the Storm covenant was destroyed when Jul M’dama died at the start of Halo 5 for literally no reason lol.
>
> I’ve only played the Halo games, so I’m sorta lost with as to why the Elites went from being allies in 3 to enemies in 4, and why the Covenant was “back” when all the leaders were killed and in Halo 3 the Elites seemed to have driven off the remaining Covenant forces, and were returning home.

It’s the same reason why Grunts and Hunters went from being allies in Halo 2, to being enemies again in Halo 3. Same thing applies to Halo 4 also, you’ll have to look into the expanded lore to figure out who is what, why and how.

But Halo 4 did explain “some” at the start of who’s these supposed “Covenant” actually are with Cortana calling them a “rogue” faction as a possibility. While also stating a lot can happen in 4 years. Halo 3 on the other hand never did this to explain why we are fighting Hunters, and Grunts again though.

The reason the elites are enemies in Halo 4 is because there is a civil war going on between their species.

Although it is true that there is no mention of this in Halo 4 (assuming you didn’t read the books), it is confirmed in Halo 5. Not all elites are enemies of humanity, but some still are. That’s one criticism of Halo 4’s story, using too much outside knowledge for the main campaign. I don’t blame you for asking this if you only played the games, it’s expected and you’re curious.

The “Covenant” in Halo 4 is different than those in the original trilogy. Although they do not believe in the Great Journey, they do believe that the Forerunners are some form of gods. That’s why Jul 'Mdama, the leader of the Storm Covenant, is known as the Didact’s Hand. He believes the Didact is a “god”, and the Didact left him power over some of his Forerunner forces. Jul 'Mdama saw this as a blessing and only strengthened his false belief.

Now onto Halo 5, we see that the Arbiter’s forces, Swords of Sanghelios, are allies to humanity. They do not believe in the Great Journey, nor the Forerunners being gods. They believe the same in humanity, that this technology must not fall into the wrong hands. Jul 'Mdama, however, sees the Arbiter’s trust and alliance in humanity as a heresy and insult to their people, therefore he tries to take over Sanghelios, in order to preserve the “purity” of his species and their hatred against humanity.

I can go on a bit more, but that’s just a general explanation of why we still fight elites in the new campaigns. In Halo 5, the elites we fight belong to Jul’s forces, while the ones we ally with for a few missions are the Arbiter’s.