Did the forerunners go to far?

I’m assuming we all know that the forerunners rose up and destroyed the precursors when the FR heard that they would not obtain the mantle. So they went a lil happy go luck murder spree on the precursor’ wiping out almost every single one. Now is it ever mentioned that the precursors’s intended to wipe out the forerunner for not being worthy or is it a case of spoilt kid syndrome?(forerunners are p*ssed at their creators telling them they are not good enough so they kill all the precursors they can find)

One thing that annoys me with this is although it happened millions of years ago and the FR may not have been as slow to temper as they apparently where during the years after. Is why would the FR assume they would be wiped out? At that time was it only FR and humans around? What about the sangheli sanshy’um etc they where created by the Precursors two (as was all life in the galaxy wasn’t it?) and if only one species can hold the mantle at anytime why would you assume your creators are going to destroy you for not being worthy when there’s another candidate species out there. I’m sure that even though creating and advancing life is trivial to the precursors I’m sure they wouldn’t just out right wipe one of their creations out completely.

So what do you all think? Was this an over reaction by the FR? Or did they act justly and do what they had to to ensure they weren’t wiped from living time(though that kinda happened despite their genocidal war)

Thank you for reading please comment your thoughts. And I apologise for any spelling/grammar errors.

s

Maybe the Forerunners concluded that the Precursors might’ve just exterminated their whole race if they didn’t act fast due to them preferring Humanity for the role of the Mantle-holders.
You the Forerunners were pretty powerful back then, even more advanced than they were during the Cryptum era and them being suddenly ignored by the Precursors due to partiality for the less developed Humanity is sure to send some wrong signals.
Besides, I don’t they killed all the Precursors. Just the ones that were in charge of creating life in our galaxy.

I got the impression that the Precursors have ‘erased’ (I seem to recall someone in the novels saying that instead of erasing the forerunners, the forerunners erased THEM) species before, so with humans being ‘next’ the forerunners saw the writing on the wall.

Still it’s a hell of a thing to raise arms against the beings that created you. One thing I’m unsure of is while they did ‘kill’ the physical or biological forms of some precursor did they ever actually kill one permanently? Seeing as it was said that some where extremely advanced some where non physical(a spirit I guess would be our closest idea) I’m guessing that destroying a precursors physical body wouldn’t destroy the actual precursor but merely it’s vessel? If that’s the case it’s no wonder they didn’t fight back it would be a mere set back and not a per enact fate.

This whole story arc reminds me of Kung Fu Panda when Master Oogway didn’t choose Tai Lung as the “Dragon Warrior”. So I guess the Forerunners pretty much threw a hissy fit and tried to wipe the Precursors out so they could be the inheritors of the Mantle? That’s the impression I got anyway.

> This whole story arc reminds me of Kung Fu Panda when Master Oogway didn’t choose Tai Lung as the “Dragon Warrior”. So I guess the Forerunners pretty much threw a hissy fit and tried to wipe the Precursors out so they could be the inheritors of the Mantle? That’s the impression I got anyway.

Yeah that’s the feeling I get two though for the forerunners to wipe out their creators because of it seems to be a big jump to make imagine going up against what is basically god that takes some balls lol

I will say the forerunners did go too far, its why the forerunner novels refer to it as an act of barbarity. But if they didn’t do something and soon, their creators were going to become their uncreators.

Its quite possible the forerunners were much more brutal at that time (warriors were top). It is also possible they did it out of fear of what they did not know. As others have said, the precursors do seem to have a consciousness that’s not really tied to their physical form. Thus they killed all they could find in order to be on the safe side.

> This whole story arc reminds me of Kung Fu Panda when Master Oogway didn’t choose Tai Lung as the “Dragon Warrior”. So I guess the Forerunners pretty much threw a hissy fit and tried to wipe the Precursors out so they could be the inheritors of the Mantle? That’s the impression I got anyway.

Haha, ya’ know that is a good way of putting it.