Did spartan ops hurt multiplayer?

Spartan Ops is a cool idea and is basically like firefight missions. But, did this idea take too much time away from multiplayer? ODST firefight was amazing. This was because that was their sole focus. Reach firefight was terrible. These side features are nice but if they come as an expense to the game don’t bother. 343 didn’t have time to fix file sharing, make ranks, smaller maps, and doubles on release. I would be fine throwing away spartan ops for a more complete multiplayer. Even if this game is good in 2 months, you have lost a huge portion of the population. With the amount of employees 343 has there should be no excuses.

I doubt it, I mean how much time could it have possibly taken? It is just a map that already exists with some crates on it with a ton of enemies.

I love it. Its nice to have when you need a multiplayer break. Im just tired of the players get mad over the fact that it helps with your rank. Its not really that big of a deal

I don’t really think Ops hurt multiplayer. I think the reason why they are not releasing any episodes until the 21st of January is that they are now probably focusing on the bugs and glitches. It’s a guess of what they’re doing now, since Ops is not going to continue for a while.

And what I’m thinking is that they focus on one objective, then on another one.

Campaign, Multiplayer, Spartan Ops, Forge, Theater.

Making these random “modes” like Spartan Ops and Firefight, which are actually just campaign mode variations, takes up 20% of development time/resources, and 20% of the game’s engine.

Theoretically, we could have a 20% better Campaign, Multiplayer, Theater, and Forge if we had no Firefight/ Spartan Ops/ Whatever Campaign 2 mode in the game. Its extremely redundant anyway.

Instead of stuff like Firefight and Spartan Ops, campaign missions should just be given some options, and segmented more. Instead of 2 or 3 segments, divide the levels up into 5-7 segments. Then add in enemy customization options, and player trait options. And bam, Campaign mode can now do basically the same thing as Firefight or Spartan Ops, and we also have a 20% better Campaign, Multiplayer, Theater, and Forge.

> Spartan Ops is a cool idea and is basically like firefight missions. But, did this idea take too much time away from multiplayer? 343 didn’t have time to fix file sharing, make ranks, smaller maps, and doubles on release. I would be fine throwing away spartan ops for a more complete multiplayer. Even if this game is good in 2 months, you have lost a huge portion of the population. With the amount of employees 343 has there should be no excuses.

Gotta be one of the dumbest threads I have read on this forum. First off, there’s most likely teams of employees doing various projects for Halo 4. One team doing graphics for the characters with probably a second team of graphic artists for the maps. Then you probably have a team of coders to create the AI. Then another team for level design. So on and so forth.

I don’t see how Spartan Ops could take away from Multiplayer, when Spartan Ops is essentially scripting of AI characters… and since there’s no AI in multiplayer, you’re not really taking anything away from it. Even all the maps in Spartan Ops are essentially multiplayer or campaign maps, so they didn’t take anyone away from map design. File sharing is an entirely different team of coders. The ranking system every try hard is trying to get would most likely need more mathematicians than AI coders.

So… how exactly does Spartan Ops take away from Multiplayer again?

> > Spartan Ops is a cool idea and is basically like firefight missions. But, did this idea take too much time away from multiplayer? 343 didn’t have time to fix file sharing, make ranks, smaller maps, and doubles on release. I would be fine throwing away spartan ops for a more complete multiplayer. Even if this game is good in 2 months, you have lost a huge portion of the population. With the amount of employees 343 has there should be no excuses.
>
> Gotta be one of the dumbest threads I have read on this forum. First off, there’s most likely teams of employees doing various projects for Halo 4. One team doing graphics for the characters with probably a second team of graphic artists for the maps. Then you probably have a team of coders to create the AI. Then another team for level design. So on and so forth.
>
> I don’t see how Spartan Ops could take away from Multiplayer, when Spartan Ops is essentially scripting of AI characters… and since there’s no AI in multiplayer, you’re not really taking anything away from it. Even all the maps in Spartan Ops are essentially multiplayer or campaign maps, so they didn’t take anyone away from map design. File sharing is an entirely different team of coders. The ranking system every try hard is trying to get would most likely need more mathematicians than AI coders.
>
> So… how exactly does Spartan Ops take away from Multiplayer again?

Well why is their so many things that have not been fixed in multiplayer? There has to be a reason. The game didn’t come with an inoperable file share. Are you serious? It had no ranking system. This is halo. There aren’t any small maps. It started with bungie and 343 continued it. Both were shipped as betas. The thing is 343 said they were done with the game and polishing things up back in July/August. What were they doing?

Spartan ops is a neat idea. It serves as a replacement for firefight. However, it seems like an illogical choice for a game mode. If you have ever looked at how much time players invest into different modes of the game, you will see that roughly 90% is matchmaking and 10% is campaign. Why would you invest resources into more campaign? Why not invest that into custom games which has been completely demoted with the removal of infection (the flood does not count). You could have a custom games playlist or something.

> > > Spartan Ops is a cool idea and is basically like firefight missions. But, did this idea take too much time away from multiplayer? 343 didn’t have time to fix file sharing, make ranks, smaller maps, and doubles on release. I would be fine throwing away spartan ops for a more complete multiplayer. Even if this game is good in 2 months, you have lost a huge portion of the population. With the amount of employees 343 has there should be no excuses.
> >
> > Gotta be one of the dumbest threads I have read on this forum. First off, there’s most likely teams of employees doing various projects for Halo 4. One team doing graphics for the characters with probably a second team of graphic artists for the maps. Then you probably have a team of coders to create the AI. Then another team for level design. So on and so forth.
> >
> > I don’t see how Spartan Ops could take away from Multiplayer, when Spartan Ops is essentially scripting of AI characters… and since there’s no AI in multiplayer, you’re not really taking anything away from it. Even all the maps in Spartan Ops are essentially multiplayer or campaign maps, so they didn’t take anyone away from map design. File sharing is an entirely different team of coders. The ranking system every try hard is trying to get would most likely need more mathematicians than AI coders.
> >
> > So… how exactly does Spartan Ops take away from Multiplayer again?
>
> Well why is their so many things that have not been fixed in multiplayer? There has to be a reason. The game didn’t come with an inoperable file share. Are you serious? It had no ranking system. This is halo. There aren’t any small maps. It started with bungie and 343 continued it. Both were shipped as betas. The thing is 343 said they were done with the game and polishing things up back in July/August. What were they doing?

And, there it is. Sounds like a horse, must be a zebra.

the CGI scenes are the best part of spartan ops, and I can see how that would take away from campaign story line.

i don’t think it would affect it too much. they really should have hired more ppl if they couldnt finish CSR, fileshare or complete custom game settings in time. Particularly fileshare and custom games, that is how they allow ppl to make their own game content (new game modes, new forge maps) and do their own work for them essentially lol why produce new game content if you can let ppl make it for themselves

> > > Spartan Ops is a cool idea and is basically like firefight missions. But, did this idea take too much time away from multiplayer? 343 didn’t have time to fix file sharing, make ranks, smaller maps, and doubles on release. I would be fine throwing away spartan ops for a more complete multiplayer. Even if this game is good in 2 months, you have lost a huge portion of the population. With the amount of employees 343 has there should be no excuses.
> >
> > Gotta be one of the dumbest threads I have read on this forum. First off, there’s most likely teams of employees doing various projects for Halo 4. One team doing graphics for the characters with probably a second team of graphic artists for the maps. Then you probably have a team of coders to create the AI. Then another team for level design. So on and so forth.
> >
> > I don’t see how Spartan Ops could take away from Multiplayer, when Spartan Ops is essentially scripting of AI characters… and since there’s no AI in multiplayer, you’re not really taking anything away from it. Even all the maps in Spartan Ops are essentially multiplayer or campaign maps, so they didn’t take anyone away from map design. File sharing is an entirely different team of coders. The ranking system every try hard is trying to get would most likely need more mathematicians than AI coders.
> >
> > So… how exactly does Spartan Ops take away from Multiplayer again?
>
> Well why is their so many things that have not been fixed in multiplayer? There has to be a reason. The game didn’t come with an inoperable file share. Are you serious? It had no ranking system. This is halo. There aren’t any small maps. It started with bungie and 343 continued it. Both were shipped as betas. The thing is 343 said they were done with the game and polishing things up back in July/August. What were they doing?

And what exactly does that have to do with you thinking Spartan Ops took away from Multiplayer? Nothing… so you change the subject.

You must be new to gaming, so let me break this down for you. Companies have bills and employees that need to be paid. They can’t get paid unless they sell games. The boss sets the release date. It’s their job to get a product completed by that date… even if it’s buggy. Then those employees start working on fixes for what they know is wrong… up until the release date.

After release, they start making decisions on things that have been found out by us gamers as to whether or not to fix those things or not.

They made the decision to ship with a basic file share system… and probably didn’t put any resources into it.

They decided that they didn’t need to ship with a ranking system. My guess is that they figured that they didn’t need one for a couple of months until after it was released.

Smaller maps can always be forged given the tools that they provided. Small maps are a waste of time and resources to develop… especially given the forge mode. You can’t make a small map into a larger one, but you can forge a big map into a smaller one.

what else in life do you buy that isn’t complete and is half -Yoinked!- upon release?
I don’t buy a car hoping for the bluetooth feature to actually work in 3 months.

> what else in life do you buy that isn’t complete and is half -Yoinked!- upon release?
> I don’t buy a car hoping for the bluetooth feature to actually work in 3 months.

Software has never been regulated the same as a car.