Did anime influence Halo 4's aesthetics?

Looking at some of Halo 4’s aesthetics, I have to ask if anime played any influences in the design choices the artists made. It might seem like a silly question, even sacrilegious to others given Halo Legends reputation of “being crap because it simply is anime” among some circles of fans, but as someone who likes to think of themselves as both a Halo fan and a fan of anime, I can’t help but notice some striking similarities.

The most obvious examples, which have been mentioned before, are some of the GEN2 MJOLNIR armor resembling the faces of Evangelion units from the series Neon Genesis Evangelion. This pictures illistrates this point, but in my opinion, I find Infiltrator to resemble Eva Unit 2. I also got a “End of Evangelion” feeling when Cortana and her multiple fragments started attacking the Didact, really reminded me of when the character Rei Ayanami started showing up and turning people into goo.

Evangelion is -Yoinking!- weird people.

I’ve also felt that the UNSC Infinity is similar to the flagship used by Zentraedi warlord General Breetai from the Robotech (or Macross if you prefer) series. Here is the Infinity and Breetai’s flagship. As an aside, seeing as how the Plasma Pistol originated with Bungie and all, does anybody else see the good old Plasma Pistol being influenced by the Gallant from Robotech? I see it.

Might be coincidences. So many times sometimes accidentally look similar to each other. Although artists might have pulled from a WIDE range of sources, anime maybe being one.

> Might be coincidences. So many times sometimes accidentally look similar to each other. Although artists might have pulled from a WIDE range of sources, anime maybe being one.

Not like it would be a bad thing if that were the case. Pacific Rim did it. Ben 10 did it. Halo doing it? No complaints here.

One thing I forgot to mention was how Halo 4’s Flood Spartans remind me of the Mass Production Evangelions, here, facial. Dat insidious grin.

> > Might be coincidences. So many times sometimes accidentally look similar to each other. Although artists might have pulled from a WIDE range of sources, anime maybe being one.
>
> Not like it would be a bad thing if that were the case. Pacific Rim did it. Ben 10 did it. Halo doing it? No complaints here.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention was how Halo 4’s Flood Spartans remind me of the Mass Production Evangelions, here, facial. Dat insidious grin.

That one might be a stretch.

But speaking of flood… I do wonder how I would do against me. I’ve been playing flood recently. Makes me wonder how a Spartan me would do against a flood me.

Yeah, but the FOTUS reminds me of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam normal mode, the undersuit still irks me , too much like a plug suit or a god forbid useless in protection gantz suit. From what I saw the end of Halo 4 looked like EOE to me, others say it ripped off Madoka’s ending. I guess they are right.

If something famous and popular is sci-fi, it’s likely influenced Halo at some point. :stuck_out_tongue:

probably

some armor designs make no sense coming from the UNSC, it would be something you’d see in an anime, i’m sure.

> probably
>
> some armor designs make no sense coming from the UNSC, it would be something you’d see in an anime, i’m sure.

You took the words right out of my mouth, lol.

OT: Indeed though. Especially when you mentioned Infiltrator. Funny, I knew it looked a little familiar. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if their are some armors, helmets specifically look a little identical in any anime.

Well I don’t think that there’s much of a question if Halo borrows from Japanese pop culture. The Master Chief is a power ranger, after all, and we did have Hyabusa armor in Halo 3. Anime has explored a lot of the same visual themes that Halo has done (arbitrarily evil alien races, space ships, giant robots, ect.) and I think it’s only natural that Halo has been influenced by it.

No, it did not.

> we did have Hyabusa armor in Halo 3.

I think the Hayabusa armor was because of an agreement between Bungie and Tecmo/Team Ninja. A Halo Spartan appeared as an unlockable character in DOA4.

> > we did have Hyabusa armor in Halo 3.
>
> I think the Hayabusa armor was because of an agreement between Bungie and Tecmo/Team Ninja. A Halo Spartan appeared as an unlockable character in DOA4.

It was.

I still want a set of armor that actually resembles Samurai armor in the next Halo game. Raider barely had any resemblance even though it was supposed to, the helmet was close, but nothing else looked right.

OT: There are so many inconsistencies and flaws in Halo 4’s aesthetics that inspiration from anime was likely a strong factor. Modernization and trying to make it look more like modern-day technology was probably another strong factor.

When I first got Halo 4, my girlfriend was watching and rambling on about some Anime stuff, but, I paid it no mind (nodded and said “okay, sweetie”).
But now, looking at those pictures I think you (and her) are right.
She’s from Kirkland WA (same as 343i) and is currently living in Ohio with me … they LOVE anime out in the Seattle area. Can’t get enough of it.
I’ve had to watch so many weird anime movies (good movies, but weird) since I met her. My favorite being “Princess Mononoke”.
But yeah, I see it.

> Yeah, but the <mark>FOTUS reminds me of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam normal mode</mark>, the undersuit still irks me , too much like a plug suit or a god forbid useless in protection gantz suit. From what I saw the end of Halo 4 looked like EOE to me, others say it ripped off Madoka’s ending. I guess they are right.

I hate that series…of gundam, not all of gundam. I actually like it…

> When I first got Halo 4, my girlfriend was watching and rambling on about some Anime stuff, but, I paid it no mind (nodded and said “okay, sweetie”).
> But now, looking at those pictures I think you (and her) are right.
> She’s from Kirkland WA (same as 343i) and is currently living in Ohio with me … they LOVE anime out in the Seattle area. Can’t get enough of it.
> I’ve had to watch so many weird anime movies (good movies, but weird) since I met her. My favorite being “<mark>Princess Mononoke</mark>”.
> But yeah, I see it.

That was a good one… demons and nature gods. Could never remember the name though…