Dexterity - potentially OP?

Long story short, I am a bit concerned about this mod - IMO having fast reloads for all weapons available off of spawn is too big of an advantage to have.
A huge part of proper weapon balance is effectively tuning each weapon’s reload speed, especially with power weapons.

Take an example - the Rocket Launcher. Its raw explosive power is counteracted by its limited ammo, small clip size and its long reload time. I fear that cutting the long reload time in half has the potential to be a tad OP. I’ve won many encounters where the enemy has missed with his last rocket in the clip and I’ve been able to finish him off before he reloads. This can also be extrapolated to other power weapons.
I don’t see this happening very often now - because dexterity lends such an advantage over most other mods, I predict that a good fraction of the playerbase will choose it for their custom classes.

Another example - rifles. The DMR/BR/Carbine have similar reload speeds but they do differ by small amounts that give one weapon a slight edge over the others in that respect, introducing a nice amount of variety within the sandbox.
Add dexterity to the mix and these subtle differences are effectively nullified. Only a minor gripe but still.

Let’s not forget we have Speed Boost as a powerup that does the same thing. I have no problems with it giving fast reloads for all weapons, because you have to earn it.
On a side note, will the effects of Dexterity and Speed Boost stack?

If I were to change the mod, I’d make sure its effects are for non-power weapons only.

Short rant over. Peace out.

It’s basically the best perk in CoD because it’s so versatile. I expect that to be the same in Halo 4. Just imagine reloading rockets in a split second … smh

True but in retrospect, the enemy has a different perk other than Dexterity that can effectively counteract yours when used correctly . The quote “It’s all up to the player’s preference” is true to every word .

I’m a little worried too. I see people have been wanting to pick it in their classes but we’ll have to see when the game comes out.

> True but in retrospect, the enemy has a different perk other than Dexterity that can effectively counteract yours when used correctly . The quote “It’s all up to the player’s preference” is true to every word .

Can you think of another that gives such a major advantage in combat?
I honestly can’t, and it worries me.

It’s another added element that has a subtle effect on gameplay to help people tailor their spartan to fit a certain style of play. Skill will more than likely win the majority of battles regardless of the AA. From watching the videos and reading the responses from those who have played the game, this appears to be the case, but I can’t make that call with absolute certainty until I experience it for myself.

Depends on your play style. I for one will use dexterity cause I have a tendency to reload after every encounter. I dont think it affects rockets like that. You cant reload rockets in one second.

> Depends on your play style. I for one will use dexterity cause I have a tendency to reload after every encounter. I dont think it affects rockets like that. You cant reload rockets in one second.

There is a gameplay video floating around (no link, sorry) of someone reloading rockets with dexterity and it seems they’re affected just as much as the other weapons.

Well, Its definitely going to be in my try-hard class.

DMR
Boltshot
Frags
thruster
dexterity
resupply.

I definitely see it becoming a favorite and possibly standard for many people.

As someone who will use dexterity quite often I hope it only applies to primary and secondary weapons and not overheating turrets and power weapons.

I never understood why 343i added that. All it’s going to do is render the “speed boost” power-up less useful.

Fire power will be very popular too. Remember that. A lot of people want to bring Br/DMR combo into battle because of its versatility.

This doesn’t bother me to much as I will be using mobility mostly. I will either be in your face by the time you reload, or half way across the map.

I do feel that it may need balancing.

I admit that I am really looking forward to using dexterity myself, but I feel some of the other choices are good alternatives to it. Being able to see a radar while zoomed in is pretty awesome if you think about it. It helps balance sniper and other weapons that have zoom. The other choices are just as awesome and cool if you look at them and think about there uses. Its all about player choice and style.

For what it’s worth, Frankie confirmed (I believe on NeoGAF) that the reload time with dexterity is tuned specifically to each weapon, so the Rocket Launcher/Sniper/etc. won’t have the same speed increase as a Battle Rifle or what have you. Honestly I don’t think the difference will be significant enough to cause balancing issues.

I feel that there are more valuable options than Dexterity to choose from. And I don’t see it being a game changer regardless of the situation. It may save your life a few times, but more often than not, it won’t make a huge difference.

Can’t really say because I don’t know what other upgrades do. :confused:

But yeah it sounds little too good. I hope other upgrades are as usefull too.

P.S
I am happy to see that some people here can state their concerns without flaming or trolling.

Good thread!

I agree whole heartedly on the rockets part! Although it’ll make me a better sniper than I already am!
I’ve always wondered if dexterity will help out the cool down time of certain weapons like Plasma Pistol/Beam Rifle, but I don’t think so!

My only concern with it is whether or not it also increases the player’s model animation. That would be really frustrating if it showed them halfway through the animation, but they were actually read to fire.