Developer Big Team maps were better.

It’s cool that 343 is giving the community a chance to get their maps featured, but the truth is it really hurts what Big Team could and should be. Big Team maps in the past were very large and had tons of weapons and were very vehicle focused, as opposed to the smaller cramped maps that really just feel like up-sized Arena maps for 8 people instead of 4. They were huge and often had really unique features that separated them from the smaller maps. But not only were they bigger and more vehicle focused, they were beautiful. They had incredible, diverse scenery and were memorable. Just a few examples.

Halo: Combat Evolved
Gephyrophobia
Ice Fields
Halo 2
Coagulation
Uplift
Waterworks
Halo 3
Avalanche
Halo: Reach
Tempest
Boneyard
Highlands
Breakneck
Spire
Breakpoint- Seriously, will we ever again get a map this beautiful?
Halo 4
Wreckage
Shatter
Meltdown
Exile

Seriously, compare Halo 5’s Warzone maps to its Big Team maps.
Warzone
March on Stormbreak
Urban
Skirmish at Darkstar
Dispatch
Big Team
Entombed
Antifreeze
Guillotine
Deadlock

The difference is astounding. Having only forged maps takes a lot out of Big Team visually alone. Let’s not even talk about the smaller sizes and weaker gameplay. It’s not too late to add some real big team maps to Halo 5, but whatever you do with this game, please add real Big Team maps to Halo 6. A lot of people enjoy Halo’s big vehicular combat with normal objectives and gameplay without reqs.

I agree, while I like the community inclusion, I really miss having dev maps

Halo 4 definitely had some of the best BTB maps, both visually and gameplay wise, in the entire franchise. I really hope they put more effort into them for Halo 6.

On this, we can agree.

I agree, I miss the more open concept maps!

I don’t think you understand how this works. We forge BTB maps that are big and vehicle based. BUT our maps are rejected by the Community Cartographers for being too big and having too many vehicles.
If the community actually had a say in BTB maps this would be true. However, we as a community can’t add great maps to the playlist ourselves, that is what the community Cartographers are for. There are many great forge BTB maps that are truly Halo but 343 will never see them. Here is an example of the types of maps we are making! Dispelled - Ancestor

> 2533274797303698;6:
> I don’t think you understand how this works. We forge BTB maps that are big and vehicle based. BUT our maps are rejected by the Community Cartographers for being too big and having too many vehicles.
> If the community actually had a say in BTB maps this would be true. However, we as a community can’t add great maps to the playlist ourselves, that is what the community Cartographers are for. There are many great forge BTB maps that are truly Halo but 343 will never see them. Here is an example of the types of maps we are making! Dispelled
>
> Don’t point the finger at the community, point it at the Community Cartographers and 343!

Could be because the vehicles kinda suck in H5. Gunners are easily shot out of vehicles because the ttk is to long from a warthog… the mantis went from being a beast in H4 to being pretty soft… the H4 btb maps were pretty awesome, vortex, settler, and longbow were GREAT… then when they added btb heavies that was awesome… h5 btb maps are pretty lame, antifreeze is one of the worse maps ever… the only original H5 btb map I like is Basin.

> 2533274816788253;7:
> > 2533274797303698;6:
> >
>
>
> Could be because the vehicles kinda suck in H5. Gunners are easily shot out of vehicles because the ttk is to long from a warthog… the mantis went from being a beast in H4 to being pretty soft… the H4 btb maps were pretty awesome, vortex, settler, and longbow were GREAT… then when they added btb heavies that was awesome… h5 btb maps are pretty lame, antifreeze is one of the worse maps ever… the only original H5 btb map I like is Basin.

For that exact reason we now design maps around AR/MAG start rather than AR/BR starts. BRs are much too overpowered against a gunner and discourage vehicle use all together.

> 2533274797303698;8:
> > 2533274816788253;7:
> > > 2533274797303698;6:
> > >
> >
> >
> > Could be because the vehicles kinda suck in H5. Gunners are easily shot out of vehicles because the ttk is to long from a warthog… the mantis went from being a beast in H4 to being pretty soft… the H4 btb maps were pretty awesome, vortex, settler, and longbow were GREAT… then when they added btb heavies that was awesome… h5 btb maps are pretty lame, antifreeze is one of the worse maps ever… the only original H5 btb map I like is Basin.
>
>
> For that exact reason we now design maps around AR/MAG start rather than AR/BR starts.

They really just need to buff the warthog gun and mantis gun… then you could have the AR/BR starts… starting with BRs, DMRs, and light rifles wasn’t a problem in H4 because the vehicles where pretty beast… only every one being able to spawn with a plasma pistol was a bit of an issue.

I think that BTB being exclusively forge maps makes it apparent that warzone was supposed to replace BTB in the long run.

To much focus is put into infantry gameplay. BTB maps still need Scorpions, Wraiths and Phaetons. Simply put BTB needs heavy vehicle combat again.

By the way, 343 said they wouldn’t support BTB, they would only put maps into the playlist after testing, and thats all. So there will be no Dev BTB maps for the long foreseeable future.

Yeah, it’s pretty sad to see maps such as Standoff, Valhalla and Healdong (which are actually good, but they lack the vehicular part of BTB) instead of Gephyrophobia and Spire. There is a BTB map that I really enjoy, though. I’ve only played on it once, but its atmosphere reminded me of Uncaged and it was the first map in which I found a playable Mantis (I don’t remember its name). Here’s hoping that 343 adds a few more maps to the rotation.

I’d love for 343 to make an actual BTB map again! However, I have to give credit to some of the forgers out there working on giving us that experience when 343 does not. There are some heavy vehicle maps for BTB in the halocustoms.com ‘Meet Your Maker’ competition. If some of those get enough community support, I could see them making it. Seriously, check out these heavier vehicle maps (they are for the possibility of Mag/AR starts):

Dispelled by TimeDipper: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?query=Dispelled&lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_TimeDipper_e5de9771-952e-4f52-9cd5-fb88b124ed60

Ancestor by D4rkDeath (myself) and weeeeemann: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=D4rkDeath#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_D4rkDeath_76ab4002-5520-4777-99ee-42b583fc8360

I also agree some bigger BTB maps with more vehicles would be awesome. There are no maps with Wraiths or Scorpions and only one map with a Mantis. And if it weren’t for the Halo 3 remake maps there’d be no Banshees/Wasps either.

> 2533274838582158;15:
> I also agree some bigger BTB maps with more vehicles would be awesome. There are no maps with Wraiths or Scorpions and only one map with a Mantis. And if it weren’t for the Halo 3 remake maps there’d be no Banshees/Wasps either.

Of the two maps I linked, Dispelled has Scorpions and Ancestor had Wraiths and a Banshee. Both maps have been thoroughly tested.

> 2533274827215546;1:
> Halo 4
> Wreckage
> Shatter

The skybox art was great, but those maps were giant sun glares and frame rate drops. The problem with CA maps is they prioritize visual appeal over gameplay.

I agree that we need some dev BTB maps, but I’m not opposed to forge maps if they’re good.

I have to say I absolutely love BTB as it is, but that doesn’t mean I don’t completely agree with you, it could be so so much better with developer made maps. I think my favourite BTB map of all time has to be Exile from Halo 4, hate me all you like I loved that game as I do all Halos and that map gave me some bloody satisfying BTB matches and also some of the best custom games I’ve ever played. Please make some BTB maps, 343i.

> 2533274838582158;15:
> I also agree some bigger BTB maps with more vehicles would be awesome. There are no maps with Wraiths or Scorpions and only one map with a Mantis. And if it weren’t for the Halo 3 remake maps there’d be no Banshees/Wasps either.

I can never remember the name of the map, it might be Deadlock, but one BTB map does have a Wraith but it doesn’t have much room to manoeuvre and it spawns in a location which means it’s often boarded the same second someone gets in it.
Edit: Just remembered, it’s Entombed not Deadlock

Either way, we need some variety, it’s too infantry focused on most of them currently. Ancestor and Dispelled are two of the best BTB maps out there with a focus on vehicles.