Detailed Solution to the Sprint Debate

Solution to cater to both parties. Have a “battery bar” that controls movement but is also dictated by health. So you have 3 status bars, Shields, Sprint and Increased Movement Speed, let’s call it IMS for short. They work off of each other like how rock, paper, scissors work. If Shields are full Sprint will work, if Shields are down at all Sprint won’t work. If Sprint is full IMS will work, if the Sprint bar is drained at all IMS will not work and you will be reduced to the normal “slower” movement speed. Now here is the twist, if Sprint and IMS are full your Shields could leech slowly over time. So if you haven’t moved for say 10 seconds you would begin to lose shields at say a 5% per second rate(30 total seconds of no movement before death).

Examples: N/U stands for NOT USABLE, also Sprint and IMS would be unlimited, so at 1% they would never run out.

EX. 1 Shields-100% Sprint-50% IMS-100%N/U… You have been sprinting for a while but haven’t been shot, once you stop sprinting you will have to wait for your sprint bar to recharge to 100% before IMS begins working automatically again.

EX. 2 Shields-50% Sprint-50%N/U IMS-100%N/U… You have been sprinting for a while but were shot and your shields have fallen to half. Now you can’t continue to use sprint because you shields aren’t full, you are also moving at normal speed because your sprint bar isn’t full. This means in a situation where if you get caught and shot while running away you get forced into a situation where you have to fight, flee at normal speed, or find cover long enough to get shields back and regain the ability to sprint.
EX. 3 Shields-100% Sprint-100% IMS-50%… You haven’t used sprint in a while and have been relying on IMS. You also haven’t been shot at all, this gives you the options to use sprint momentarily to make those jumps on the map that were designed with sprint in mind, Sprint to that power weapon that is about to spawn, really sprint wherever you want because you have full shields.

EX. 4 Shields-50% Sprint-100%N/U IMS-50%… You have been walking around relying on IMS and have been shot. But because your sprint bar is full you still have IMS, allowing you to strafe faster in a BR battle, flee slightly faster than normal, pretty much fight or flee in “classic halo” fashion because you haven’t used sprint just like a “classic halo”.

EX. 5 Shields-100% Sprint-25%N/U IMS-25%N/U <<<THIS situation would be impossible Sprint and IMS would have to have to always total 101% or more and have an inverse relation, as one drains the other recharges that amount. That situation goes as follows:

EX. 6 Shields-100% Sprint-100% IMS-50%… You’ve been walking around for a while relying on IMS and have used half the bar. You then decide to sprint, but as you sprint your IMS will recharge. Making stats change like this when you start sprinting. Shields-100% Sprint-90% IMS-60%N/U, after sprinting further, Shields-100% Sprint-80% IMS-70%N/U, let’s say you stop sprinting here. You would have to wait for the remaining 20% of sprint to recharge before you can use IMS again.

EX. 7 Shields-100% Sprint-100% IMS-100%… This situation you are not moving, you are sitting still not being shot, all of your stats are full and after 10 seconds of doing this your shields will begin to take damage. This will weed out corner camping/hiding. Crouch walking would pause the leech damage but as soon as you stop moving again the damage would resume immediately. Uncrouching and walking normally would instantly start your shields recharging after taking leech damage(this feature would still allow you to crouch and sneak up on someone slowly over time and still then fight the person with full shields once they got to them provided they walked normally shortly before going in for the attack. However if this person got caught sneaking up on them they would potentially be getting caught with their pants down depending on how long they were sitting and waiting for. If the person attempted to use the instant shield recharge to save themselves from the leech damage killing them this person would show up on radar momentarily, giving people a clear opportunity to find them.

The result of all this is allowing sprint to stay in the game to be used for interacting with the maps in the way they were designed(one of the biggest arguments for sprint I have seen). It speeds up gameplay in the fact that sprinting from spawn to where you want to be is still in the game. Controlling this area long enough for you sprint to recharge allowing IMS(classic halo)to come back into play. This is how BTB is normally played. It also discourages camping because the punishment for being caught is increased.

BUMP I want feedback on this system, if people can agree on this let’s get 343 looking at it.

Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.

> 2533274822483191;3:
> Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.

It does have a place in things like BTB, and it does fit into how the maps are designed. Those arguments are valid and need to be addressed unless you expect them to scrap maps and drastically slow BTB back to the vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl that it was in some Halo games. Thanks for the comment though, it’s true that when it becomes something very complicated to balance then it doesn’t belong in a game that is supposed to have a competitive skill gap.

> 2533274822483191;3:
> Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.

This is what I’m thinking. I applaud creative and detailed fixes like this, but it’s all entirely unnecessary and a waste of time when the best answer is right in front of us.

> 2533274804536255;4:
> > 2533274822483191;3:
> > Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.
>
>
> It does have a place in things like BTB, and it does fit into how the maps are designed. Those arguments are valid and need to be addressed unless you expect them to scrap maps and drastically slow BTB back to the vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl that it was in some Halo games. Thanks for the comment though, it’s true that when it becomes something very complicated to balance then it doesn’t belong in a game that is supposed to have a competitive skill gap.

Vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl is fun. Running around like an idiot is not

> 2533274913448583;5:
> > 2533274822483191;3:
> > Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.
>
>
> This is what I’m thinking. I applaud creative and detailed fixes like this, but it’s all entirely unnecessary and a waste of time when the best answer is right in front of us.

The best idea is in front of some of us, there are plenty of people that want it to stay, and in the right setting I would want it to stay, and I am a very traditional nostalgic Halo player. I personally hate sprint but since there is a large part of the community that wants it we need to find a middle ground. This is the advantage to having a beta almost a year before the release, it allows time for a more creative fix to be implemented instead of just scrapping or keeping things. In what ways does my idea allow people to run away? In what way does it give sprinting any advantage other than it stays in the game and will actually speed up point to point travel? I want constructive criticism here, let’s get this problem solved.

> 2533274800913490;6:
> > 2533274804536255;4:
> > > 2533274822483191;3:
> > > Simpler idea, just get rid of it. If it becomes to complex or difficult to balance, then it doesn’t belong in the game.
> >
> >
> >
> > It does have a place in things like BTB, and it does fit into how the maps are designed. Those arguments are valid and need to be addressed unless you expect them to scrap maps and drastically slow BTB back to the vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl that it was in some Halo games. Thanks for the comment though, it’s true that when it becomes something very complicated to balance then it doesn’t belong in a game that is supposed to have a competitive skill gap.
>
>
> Vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl is fun. Running around like an idiot is not

Haha Vehicle -Yoink!- death crawl can lead to fun close games, what I am going for is running from point to point strategically, running around like an idiot would result in an instant loss of sprint and IMS the moment you take just one bullet. Running would no longer enable idiots, it would punish them, it could only effectively be used in situations where no one is looking at you essentially. Think about strategic gun fights, you have to cover your friend for them to advance to further cover, if they get shot on the way to cover it kind of -Yoinks!- up the plan.

Wow and no

> 2533274849031111;9:
> Wow and no

Explanation why? I made the post to get feedback not yes or no

Bump, still looking for feedback

Just keep it as is and adapt. Learn to evolve. Sprint isn’t going anywhere… Practice your aim and aquire your targets more effectively. Sprint isn’t the devil… A lame right thumb is.

To complex way to much going on and some point are just out the window not moving and your shield starts to die? Why would your shield level effect your sprint? Your not a robot your a human in a suit armor. It’s a good idea for a different game not halo sorry.

> 2758454771772761;12:
> Just keep it as is and adapt. Learn to evolve. Sprint isn’t going anywhere… Practice your aim and aquire your targets more effectively. Sprint isn’t the devil… A lame right thumb is.

I know sprint isn’t going anywhere, and that’s why I’m trying come up with a way to keep it in the game and keep the people complaining about it happy. If you can’t recognize that even with auto aim you couldn’t kill someone whos goal is to run away from you then you haven’t played enough tryhards. If someone wants to get away from you they can no questions asked, even with 2 on 1 it’s iffy, you have to have 3 people really to trap and kill someone trying to evade you. This is a problem that is being verbalized and debated by many, there is a divide here, what happened to the Halo community that was a community? That wanted to come together to solve problems so they could play together instead of telling the other what to do and deal with it? I’m starting to think more and more that what spoiled halo isn’t the game transitioning to a new dev but the community transitioning into a bunch of casual shooter immature bullies. It’s sad really

> 2533274849031111;13:
> To complex way to much going on and some point are just out the window not moving and your shield starts to die? Why would your shield level effect your sprint? Your not a robot your a human in a suit armor. It’s a good idea for a different game not halo sorry.

Too complex? It’s as simple as rock paper scissors? I appreciate you saying it’s a good idea but sprint isn’t for halo either, but guess what we are talking about it because it’s stared us in the face for 2 full games now. Also sprint is tied to armor pretty heavily in Halo Reach, seeing as how it’s an ARMOR ABILITY. Seems like your armor loosing an ability might be something like sprinting.

I used to say sprint was okay for BTB but I’m having second thoughts.

True, it takes forever to cross BTB maps on foot (depending on map design, but in general). I’m no longer convinced this is such a bad thing. Crossing the map becomes a journey that requires teamwork and wit to survive, as well as putting more importance on controlling and destroying vehicles. As opposed to just dying and sprinting across over and over.

> what happened to the Halo community that was a community?

The community used to be a single community playing the same game. Mutating the game’s identity and dividing everyone up as a result is what happened.

As for your solution I do not understand what you’re trying to say (you’re basing if someone can sprint or not on both health AND some bar?), and can tell you right now trying to fix sprint by making it even more convoluted / randomly available is not a fix at all.

> 2533274849031111;13:
> To complex way to much going on and some point are just out the window not moving and your shield starts to die? Why would your shield level effect your sprint? Your not a robot your a human in a suit armor. It’s a good idea for a different game not halo sorry.

Also even in Halo 5 they are directly connected. If you sprint while you have downed shields it takes longer for your shields to recover, that is a direct relation. If your shields and sprint operate cooperatively, so why is it so crazy to propose the idea that damaging the armor makes you lose an armor ability?

Captmartian (whatever his name is) is just one of the blind supporters. Don’t mind him. A mechanic that works for Halo is one I support even if it’s sprint but I do not believe sprint is one that belongs in small team gameplay at all.
Granted I love how you took the time to write out this detailed post on your take on sprint. I will read it tomorrow when I am not tired.

Ignore people like “gun fer hire” as well. The usual “I can’t understand anything not presented to me in three sentences or less” type. He is just spewing lame and boring rhetoric that hardly makes sense beyond a fifth grade level of intelligence.

> 2533274804536255;15:
> > 2533274849031111;13:
> > To complex way to much going on and some point are just out the window not moving and your shield starts to die? Why would your shield level effect your sprint? Your not a robot your a human in a suit armor. It’s a good idea for a different game not halo sorry.
>
>
> Too complex? It’s as simple as rock paper scissors? I appreciate you saying it’s a good idea but sprint isn’t for halo either, but guess what we are talking about it because it’s stared us in the face for 2 full games now. Also sprint is tied to armor pretty heavily in Halo Reach, seeing as how it’s an ARMOR ABILITY. Seems like your armor loosing an ability might be something like sprinting.

I don’t remember reach so I can’t say anything about it. I don’t see a problem with sprint in halo I’ve said it in many forums and getting sick of saying it over and over, I’ll day it one more time. In this game “Halo” you are an elite special soldier, you flip vehicles, created to be the best on the battle field so why not be able to sprint? Getting to places quick. There have been many times i have used it to help my team seeing them needing help and be able to flank the enemy. The one thing I don’t like about this game is the shield takes way too long to recharge that’s all I don’t like. I don’t know how many times I run not sprint but run and it takes forever still. Anyways sprint fits the game I personally think used in the right way it works just fine.

> 2533274813583846;18:
> Captmartian (whatever his name is) is just one of the blind supporters. Don’t mind him. A mechanic that works for Halo is one I support even if it’s sprint but I do not believe sprint is one that belongs in small team gameplay at all.
> Granted I love how you took the time to write out this detailed post on your take on sprint. I will read it tomorrow when I am not tired.
>
> Ignore people like “gun fer hire” as well. The usual “I can’t understand anything not presented to me in three sentences or less” type. He is just spewing lame and boring rhetoric that hardly makes sense beyond a fifth grade level of intelligence.

Thanks man, I look forward to what you think. It’s a rather simple idea but I definitely had to break it down for people to understand details of it, and it helped me walk myself through it to work out any possible bugs. I really feel I have a solution for both sides here, I just hope enough people like you take it seriously that 343 gets a look at it.