Destructible Scenery... what do you think?

Quote from one of my friends concerning CoD. “You can take down entire buildings in Battlefeild, but you have trouble breaking windows in Call of Duty.”

What are your opinions for destructible scenery in Halo 4? Maybe not completely destructible, but anyways. What do you think?

halo 4 is halo 4, I don’t want ideas from other games, I want new concepts.

> halo 4 is halo 4, I don’t want ideas from other games, I want new concepts.

I know, I want Halo to stay unique too. I just wanted to see other people’s thoughts.

I would like to see destructible environments in Halo 4 to an extent.

Yes, Halo 4 does and is going to be a unique game like the entire series so far. However this doesn’t mean to say it cannot contain functions that other games have adapted and constructed, purely because it adds another level to the game. Destructible enviroments are used in many games at different levels, it seems more games are starting to implement it these days and i don’t see why Halo 4 shouldn’t. I do think that it should be of a minor degree for reasons such as keeping the gameplay and environmental awareness the same and what the player has been used to and loves since Halo 1.

Before someones posts about Battlefield, yes its a good example to show how destructible environments functions in a game but the franchise did not discover, invent the concept or owns its rights. Other games are ‘allowed’ to use it too XD

Such as…? Using time and tested concepts isn’t black magic.

I think it will be good if it stays in the middle between what it is now, and battlefield. I do not want to break down entire walls, but parts of it, so you can still get cover. It can also be okay having places that’s supposed tp let you create new paths to the enemy base. You can for example gain entrance to a base by blowing up a big rock standing infront of some kind of gate with a heavy weapon.

This is the problem with the Halo community. Just because Battlefield is big now and use destructive environments Halo shouldn’t use it. Grow up and stop being close minded, things blow up and fall apart when shot with Rocket launchers etc.

It would give Halo a different feel that’s for sure, I doubt it’s something 343 is working on though. I myself would gladly welcome destructive environments.

> > halo 4 is halo 4, I don’t want ideas from other games, I want new concepts.
>
> This is the problem with the Halo community. Just because Battlefield is big and use destructive environments Halo shouldn’t use it. Grow up and stop being close minded, things blow up and fall apart when shot with Rocket launchers etc.
>
> It would give Halo a different feel that’s for sure, I doubt it’s something 343 is working on though. I myself would gladly welcome destructive environments.

Thank you,

Destructive environments as a gameplay function is welcome in any game if the company plans on using it. I welcome any changes Halo 4 brings and will not judge or give feedback, positive or negative until i have played it myself.

> > > halo 4 is halo 4, I don’t want ideas from other games, I want new concepts.
> >
> > This is the problem with the Halo community. Just because Battlefield is big and use destructive environments Halo shouldn’t use it. Grow up and stop being close minded, things blow up and fall apart when shot with Rocket launchers etc.
> >
> > It would give Halo a different feel that’s for sure, I doubt it’s something 343 is working on though. I myself would gladly welcome destructive environments.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Destructive environments as a gameplay function is welcome in any game if the company plans on using it. I welcome any changes Halo 4 brings and will not judge or give feedback, positive or negative until i have played it myself.

Destructive scenery is confirmed, but don’t expect it on a Battlefield 3 level.

Plus I agree with everything you guys said :wink:

I can’t find the article link anymore :frowning:

If destructive environments served a gameplay purpose, then yes. If it’s just for show and to wow the BF crowd while feeling tacked on and gimmicky, then no.

I am not a netcode buff but perhaps having debris fly all over the place would slow the game down if not optimized properly?

I think it shouldn’t be something on the scale of Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2, but I think we should have destructable cover, like Zanzibar had in Halo 2.

Glass and Trees are all that I can see breaking, anymore then that is just not Halo tbh

> If destructive environments served a gameplay purpose, then yes. If it’s just for show and to wow the BF crowd while feeling tacked on and gimmicky, then no.
>
>
> I am not a netcode buff but perhaps having debris fly all over the place would slow the game down if not optimized properly?

If they decided to put destructible scenery in as a must then Dedicated Servers is a must.

> > If destructive environments served a gameplay purpose, then yes. If it’s just for show and to wow the BF crowd while feeling tacked on and gimmicky, then no.
> >
> >
> > I am not a netcode buff but perhaps having debris fly all over the place would slow the game down if not optimized properly?
>
> If they decided to put destructible scenery in as a must then Dedicated Servers is a must.

I hope for dedicated servers as well, especially if Halo 4 is going to be adding some new technical additions to the Halo engine. Not sure if the P2P defenders will like that idea however. I know it’s not cheap running dedicated but i think it’s time to move away from P2P.

Just to get this clear through everyones heads, Halo 4 will only contain the elements (not giant masses of destructible scenery, small significant ammounts) destructible scenery, not enviroments. Quoted by Frank O’Conor here ->

Frank O’Connor: " The trailer that we unveiled at E3 last allowed us, in addition to announce Halo 4, to disclose certain aspects of gameplay to come to the most attentive. Many questions have arisen about the new weapon used by the Major, and the effects thereof, including the fact it is used to destroy a door. Halo 4 will include the elements of destructible scenery, to enhance immersion. It is a priority for the new trilogy, and if this aspect of the game was still gone unnoticed until to there, we will make it appear in the open because many players have asked.

It had not been fully confirmed however that doors will be destructible or not, it could be just a campaign feature. And people please don’t jump to conclusions it has gone on a little to much. And the good thing about so many peoples concern for the game that it has caused allot of hype. Have faith Halo 4 will be an extremely good game.

^ This, is pretty much exactly what I was about to post. So that. :slight_smile:

No, Halo should have original ideas, not from other games.

> > halo 4 is halo 4, I don’t want ideas from other games, I want new concepts.
>
> This is the problem with the Halo community. Just because Battlefield is big now and use destructive environments Halo shouldn’t use it. Grow up and stop being close minded, things blow up and fall apart when shot with Rocket launchers etc.
>
> It would give Halo a different feel that’s for sure, I doubt it’s something 343 is working on though. I myself would gladly welcome destructive environments.

In fact, it’s not just problem of the Halo community, it’s the whole gaming community. In fact, that’s completely normal human behavior, so don’t blame a certain group of people. Of course anyone doesn’t want the game they love to be like another game, that’s completely understandable.

There are always some features that could be taken from other games, but if something works in other games, it doesn’t mean it will work in a different game. Consider destructive enviroment, it could work in Halo, but not nearly in the same amount as it is in Battlefield.

The multiplayer of Halo has very finely designed maps. Big part of the gameplay revolves around the map design. Now, blow a hole in the wall and you blow part of the balance of the map away. Blow more holes into the walls and suddenly you have a map where the whole balance is gone.

Thereby the destruction should be very limited, a certain wall you can blow up, maybe a pillar that falls when shot, stalagmites in the roof that can fall down (Waterworks style), and so on. These are things that can make the maps more interesting, but don’t break the balance. And as you can see with the Waterworks example, Halo is no stranger to some level of destructability.

Of course that part only concerned multiplayer. What comes to destruction in campaign, 343i can go nuts with it. I’m fine with every building being able to fall down in your path when it comes to campaign.

To be fair, destructible environments hardly began with CoD or Battlefield. It’s pretty standard fair in videogame design at this point (or at least it’s beginning to be.)

That said, 343 will probably wait until Halo 5 if they want to implement larger-scale destructible environments. I’m assuming Halo 5 will be on the next Xbox which will have more processing power to handle such feats. Adding this feature to a 360 Halo game would severely limit the sandbox-design scope that Halo 3 and Halo: Reach have in favor of non-essential destructible buildings and the all particle effects that would entail.

> No, Halo should have original ideas, not from other games.

Read my other post.