Destructible environments for the next Halo?

Plasma slowly burning through walls breaking up cover, buildings toppling on top of your head killing you, energy swords slicing through metal support beams, rockets destroying whole buildings.

I think it’d be absolutely amazing to have destructible environments imagine the fun that could be had and the new tactics you could adopt. You could strap sticky detonators all over a warthog drive it into a building and blow it up killing everyone inside.

What do you guys think?

The concept was theorized as a feature to be used in Reach before it’s release, I can’t point to the guy who theorized it in the first place, though.

As for the Warthog Kamikaze thing, that would bring a new type of strategy into the game, or it’s own insane brand of Carnage.

Destructible Environments + Customizable Weather and Climate = Forge 4.0

I wouldn’t really want to go as far as allowing every building to be destroyed. Maybe some walls and objects could be destroyed and/or damaged but not being able to make entire maps flat. That could become annoying if the players started sitting in a hill with DRMs/light rifles.

It would be a cool feature when done right though. Especially if you could make destructible enviroment in Forge.

Yesh

Destructible environments are cool and all, but it completely ruins the flow and balance of maps. It’s just not something for Halo (at least for the main games).

What would be awesome is if we had an option in Forge to make objects breakable after a certain amount of damage.

Personally I like the idea. It would change the map flow and make a map change. I support.

Maybe.

It couldn’t work on every building/structure. Do you think if I shot a rocket at a Forerunner Structure it would collapse? Maybe. But I think it should be implemented. Until we get an idea on what the graphics looks like, we can’t really determine what the gameplay will be like.

Not really maybe a few objects could break, and a little damage to certain structures could happen (Like on Gears when you shoot some pillars and the material breaks off revealign the structure underneath but not completely destroying it)

So maybe some crates and such that can be used for cover coudl be destructible but other than that It wouldnt work for Halo IMO.

I’m definitely not against parts of the map being destructible, so long as it’s within reason. Map interactivity can be a good thing.

As for full fledged levolution like Battlefield 4, it just wouldn’t fit. Halo is an arena shooter, and being able to demolish the arena itself wouldn’t be beneficial to gameplay.

Yes. I loved the destructible environments in BF, it made the game feel as if there was a real war happening. By the end of a 10-15 minute long match, an environment could go from pretty normal looking, to war destroyed pile of rubble.

Why does this make me want to play Tower of Jenga in Halo 3?

Sounds interesting, but I’d prefer walls/floors that are stable, like it’s always been.

> Maybe.
>
> It couldn’t work on every building/structure. Do you think if I shot a rocket at a Forerunner Structure it would collapse? Maybe. But I think it should be implemented. Until we get an idea on what the graphics looks like, we can’t really determine what the gameplay will be like.

That seems like a great opportunity to make certain weapons do more damage to certain types of material. Want to bring down a forerunner building? Use a Incineration Cannon. By contrast if you want to go through covenant metal a plasma grenade or fuel rod gun would be better.

I think it would bring in a new variable into gameplay, where you say might want to use a pulse grenade on a forerunner map to break through walls easier, wheres on a covie map you might want to use a plasma grenade instead.

No. If I want to blow up buildings, I’ll go play BattleField. I like my cover in Halo to be solid.

I’m all for it, as long as it’s not overdone in multiplayer. For campaign they can go as crazy as they like. It could be fun!

That would be so much fun to crash vehicles into buildings! But I think it should work like special forge objects with that feature or an option for that object when editing it in forge. We don’t need the whole map destroyed.

> That would be so much fun to crash vehicles into buildings! But I think it should work like special forge objects with that feature or an option for that object when editing it in forge. We don’t need the whole map destroyed.

That’s genius. That way the maps in Matchmaking will be static, but us Forgers can build some really crazy stuff that will be destructible.

They most likely would have to redesign all the maps to allow destruction so it won’t hurt the game play . I don’t see how destruction would benefit maps like haven , guardian , or Ragnarok ( since there isn’t almost anything to destroy. ). I could see it in campaign and spartan ops.

Just a quick question, why would anyone not want this?

Like, for performance issues maybe, but this isn’t the 360 people.

Although the extend of Battlefield may not be necessary, but being able to see plasma sizzle through a wall and incinerating barricades would be awesome.

to an extent

I remember when I made a base of Fusion Coils in Reach.
Man, it was like the Chines New Year’s.

It would be a nice addition but only in Forge and Costums. People already complaint about random things. Even it’s not completely random.

Only on large maps though
Imagine blowing up half the map on a small map like Haven or Adrift.