Destructible Environment

I’ll try to keep the idea as simple as possible for the sake of explanation.

Every forge object has two states: Normal and Destroyed
For example a glass window in it’s destroyed state would be the window frame with shards of glass around the inside edges.
A boulder would be a pile of rocks.

Every forge object has a “Destruction Value” which ranges from 0-9.
A DV of 0 means it is indestructible.
Any value of 1 through 9 means it is destructible.

Destruction Values are also applied to bullets, grenades, melee, turrets, and anything else that can cause damage.
For example setting a window’s DV to 3, melee to 2, and bullets to 4 would mean that a melee could not break the glass but a bullet could.

This would allow controllable destruction of the environment. Crucial geometry would be set to 0 so it could not be destroyed while everything else would be valued appropriately so a player could not destroy the enemy base by meleeing the outside wall but could break a window to jump in through an unexpected entrance.

Unique scenarios I envision are as follows:

An object blocking off a route from base to base has a DV of 9 while the only weapon that has a matching DV is the flag. This creates a situation where the flag carrier, and only the flag carrier, can open up a route for himself and his team mates.

Another situation is:
Two bases face each other. There is a closed door on the front of the base that has a DV of 9. The only other weapon on the map with a DV of 9 is the gauss turret on top of each base facing the opposing base. This creates a situation where only your super strong gauss turret can blow the doors off (literally) of the enemies base. Furthermore the map could be designed in such a way to encourage Blue sniper to closely watch the top of Red base to prevent them from accessing their door destroying gun and vice versa.

Any thoughts or improvements for this idea?

> I’ll try to keep the idea as simple as possible for the sake of explanation.
>
> Every forge object has two states: Normal and Destroyed
> For example a glass window in it’s destroyed state would be the window frame with shards of glass around the inside edges.
> A boulder would be a pile of rocks.
>
> Every forge object has a “Destruction Value” which ranges from 0-9.
> A DV of 0 means it is indestructible.
> Any value of 1 through 9 means it is destructible.
>
> Destruction Values are also applied to bullets, grenades, melee, turrets, and anything else that can cause damage.
> For example setting a window’s DV to 3, melee to 2, and bullets to 4 would mean that a melee could not break the glass but a bullet could.
>
> This would allow controllable destruction of the environment. Crucial geometry would be set to 0 so it could not be destroyed while everything else would be valued appropriately so a player could not destroy the enemy base by meleeing the outside wall but could break a window to jump in through an unexpected entrance.
>
> Unique scenarios I envision are as follows:
>
> An object blocking off a route from base to base has a DV of 9 while the only weapon that has a matching DV is the flag. This creates a situation where the flag carrier, and only the flag carrier, can open up a route for himself and his team mates.
>
> Another situation is:
> Two bases face each other. There is a closed door on the front of the base that has a DV of 9. The only other weapon on the map with a DV of 9 is the gauss turret on top of each base facing the opposing base. This creates a situation where only your super strong gauss turret can blow the doors off (literally) of the enemies base. Furthermore the map could be designed in such a way to encourage Blue sniper to closely watch the top of Red base to prevent them from accessing their door destroying gun and vice versa.
>
> Any thoughts or improvements for this idea?

This.

Good idea, but it may be difficult to implement. The objects would probably have to become damaged in the same area no matter where they were hit though.

For the sake of simplicity there would NOT be a range of damage. For example a window would NOT get one hole in it, then two, then break. It would either be Normal or Destroyed. The transition from normal to destroyed would need an animation but this could be over come by a dust cloud or explosion masking the transition from Normal to Destroyed.

Would require a new model for the object to be made. There for it’s not worth the time and effort.

> Would require a new model for the object to be made. There for it’s not worth the time and effort.

Allowing users to make their own maps at all required time and effort that 90% of the population probably doesn’t use. Thanks for the input though.

> > Would require a new model for the object to be made. There for it’s not worth the time and effort.
>
> Allowing users to make their own maps at all required time and effort that 90% of the population probably doesn’t use. Thanks for the input though.

Looking at the idea, it’s a good idea, but It would not work unfortunatly.

Something I saw in a Q&A for Forge World Ferrex from Bungie did before Halo : Reach was released was that they were pushed on disk space. They wanted to add so much more to Forge, but they had already cut a lot of content from the game as it was. I’m sure they said that some campaign missions were lost due to Forge World and disk space.

It’s a hard decision to make. Cut existing stuff for new stuff, or leave the new stuff out.

opens his umbrella, watches a float go by

How about an extra disc, included with the game and you install to your hard drive, for use in conjunction with the game disc containing all the forge world objects? That way everyone puts the same game disc in when they play but it knows where to look for all the forge world objects.

No…now go play Battlefield.

> No…now go play Battlefield.

Hold on. His ideas are very interesting. I would love a second disk to fill in what he is explaining. If they would do that they would have my wallet.

good idea also include cuttable pieces, larger maps (5x larger than forge world possibly), features like a small cylinder which everything touching it moves like a lever , and different enviorments for maps Ex:make a map sunny nighttime snowy, floodded, dead (all plant life is deadand a lower water level), and burning ,also be able to change colors of vehicles and items so make a second disc for custom games, and forge 343

> opens his umbrella, watches a float go by
>
> How about an extra disc, included with the game and you install to your hard drive, for use in conjunction with the game disc containing all the forge world objects? That way everyone puts the same game disc in when they play but it knows where to look for all the forge world objects.

can i haz umbrella?

A second disc would be great.

Way to complex - I think having a standard item and then a destroyed version would make it more simpler.

> Way to complex - I think having a standard item and then a destroyed version would make it more simpler.

That’s exactly what I am proposing. A “Normal” version and a “Destoyed” version. The transition from Normal to Destroyed would be hidden by some masking effect (boulder is Normal until it gets hit then a dust cloud surrounds it and, presto chango, a pile of rubble. The dust cloud hides the transition so only the two, Normal and Destroyed, objects are neccessary).

Just to clarify, the second disc would be of no use once it was installed to the hard drive. It’s only purpose is to contain all the forgable objects that would not fit on the game disc. TBH I don’t think space on the disc was a limiting factor for the amount of forgeable objects. I think they simply ran out of time and dedicated their remaining time to campaign and multiplayer.

> > No…now go play Battlefield.
>
> Hold on. His ideas are very interesting. I would love a second disk to fill in what he is explaining. If they would do that they would have my wallet.

If disk space is the trouble, get two discs and the secound disc you pay more??

> > No…now go play Battlefield.
>
> Hold on. His ideas are very interesting. I would love a second disk to fill in what he is explaining. If they would do that they would have my wallet.

If disk space is the trouble, get two discs and the secound disc you pay more??

If games are going in the direction I think, then exentually we can have all the space we need, without discs. If downladable games are going to be the medium of the future, than we wouldn’t necessarily need to put anything on discs, similar to D2D. microsof will probably do this with the newest Xbox with halo 5 or 6 being the premier launch title. We could also have content that could be downloaded only for those with a disc so developers can give us more trhan would be allowable wih only a disc. Similar to DLC, but with bigger files.

I think players should not be able to damage anything but while being a monitor a tool could be used to slightly chip or crack or add bullet holes to objects and the environment. Or even have a different tool that causes huge damage to things. This could make some maps that show there was like a battle here or something. Also to add dead bodies in forge I think that would be cool.

> How about an extra disc, included with the game and you install to your hard drive, for use in conjunction with the game disc containing all the forge world objects? That way everyone puts the same game disc in when they play but it knows where to look for all the forge world objects.

A single map whose assets fill up an entire disc and consume hard drive space… Something that huge would never fit in the console’s RAM.

it would open up a whole range of new gametypes