Destructible environment

What’s everyone’s opinion on destructible environment in Halo Infinite? Personally I’d like to see structures being damaged and have pieces fall off but not be like Battlefield where buildings can collapse and the entire map be changed as this doesn’t really work in 4v4 arena modes. I would however like to see stuff like craters being formed from explosives and possibly grass and trees catching on fire. What are your thoughts?

I would love to see something like this, would actually make BtB feel like an actual big battle not to mention what tactics people could come up with using the destructible environment

I think destructible environments would be cool to have for the immersion factor, but like you said it would probably not be great for arena, where map design is critical and being able to change the map whenever you want would lead to problems. I would love to see explosions have more of an impact on the ground/environment than just leaving a black mark on the ground, and things catching on fire could be really cool although I imagine that could be quite expensive graphically.

Powered by the ‘cloud’…

Destructible environment’s would be very cool and although it wouldn’t be great for arena, destructive features could be added without affecting the design of maps. I’d really like to see explosions affect the ground and things catching fire too.

I’d love to see more destructible environments. Great post OP. This is something that I feel like has been teased around the edges for a very long time but never fully implemented. I wouldn’t want to see permanent set pieces like Forerunner structures be destructible but there is definitely a hybrid solution. Adding a lot more explodey bits to UNSC or Covenant bases. Basically just increasing the forge pallet of destructible items and implementing them in more conscious ways in MP & campaign. Also, it would be really cool to have a Forerunner weapon that could shoot through walls.

i dnt think it would be good for 4v4 competitive, to much rng issues. otherwise i could work well for casual big team or pve/pvp type game modes. still just basic stuff probably best llke breakable walls, bring down trees ext. I doubt we’re be getting any destruction in Infinite though. They probably would have shown it already.

> 2555390681439134;7:
> i dnt think it would be good for 4v4 competitive, to much rng issues. otherwise i could work well for casual big team or pve/pvp type game modes. still just basic stuff probably best llke breakable walls, bring down trees ext. I doubt we’re be getting any destruction in Infinite though. They probably would have shown it already.

Yeah I agree doesn’t look like we’ll see any more destructible environments than we’ve seen in previous Halo’s. I really wish they’d expand more on being more realistic, it doesn’t have to have the best graphics but I’d like to see more things like destructible environments, more dirt getting blown up from rounds hitting it, vehicles leaving tire marks in softer terrain and also reacting differently depending on the terrain, more blood splatter on walls, vehicles, and players armor, plasma rounds leaving burn marks on objects, etc.

I think destruction happening around you would work best in BTB.

Even though you are only going 16 on 16 I think there needs to be heaps of background noise, gun fire, vehicles flying/crashing, and destruction what nots to give you the feeling of being in a larger skirmish.

> 2533274826926032;8:
> > 2555390681439134;7:
> > i dnt think it would be good for 4v4 competitive, to much rng issues. otherwise i could work well for casual big team or pve/pvp type game modes. still just basic stuff probably best llke breakable walls, bring down trees ext. I doubt we’re be getting any destruction in Infinite though. They probably would have shown it already.
>
> Yeah I agree doesn’t look like we’ll see any more destructible environments than we’ve seen in previous Halo’s. I really wish they’d expand more on being more realistic, it doesn’t have to have the best graphics but I’d like to see more things like destructible environments, more dirt getting blown up from rounds hitting it, vehicles leaving tire marks in softer terrain and also reacting differently depending on the terrain, more blood splatter on walls, vehicles, and players armor, plasma rounds leaving burn marks on objects, etc.

This is a pretty cool point. When people think of destructible environments they assume we are talking about the ability to literally destroy an enemy base with enough firepower. But it can simply mean more reactive and realistic environmental interactions. I.e. trees being toppled by a tank, explosions actually scarring the landscape with craters, just general evidence of the “real”, “physical” nature of the engine - such a tire tracks, maybe a rock face is chipped away where small arms fire had been concentrated.

For example when you shoot through a tarp flapping in the wind (which is technically already possible in previous Halo engines) it would be awesome if that tarp acquired bullet holes. As in, it was an actual physical object, not just a visual effect. This would contribute so much to the immersion without sacrificing the core arena multiplayer experience. They are sort of implementing this philosophy with vehicles already, making their destructibility a lot more interactive than previous titles.

I think things like burnable trees, breakable rocks, and maybe you can knock trees over, make small craters/in-dents with explosives, and when a Wraith mortar hits a surface, that surface stays blackened the whole game.

Destructible environments should be easier with this new engine, let’s hope that there is at least some destructivity in the campaign.

well, more in campaign than MP matches, but i would like to see small craters in the ground. Maybe there could be more destructible surfaces in game, like destructible walls for forging.

I like little details in games so a little destruction of elements becoming damaged or breaking I am all for, but yeah completely destructible environments may ruin level design

Moa Burgers

I a a big supporter of destructible and more interactive environments in general. The game is so much more dynamic and immersive pretty much every time they are added.