Depth > Breadth for the devs and players

This is going off of the recent reveal of what armor coatings are. Please read here under “Halo Infinite” at the bottom if you are not caught up. Tl;dr: armor coatings are the worst case scenario and they removed color customization for it.

I would first like to state that I am not too upset; I am sure there will be some coating I like and I will be either red or blue most of the time. However, I do find it to be such an odd choice to remove color customization and replace it with this system. If you are going to add “seven layers” of material customization, why not let us customize those layers?
I want to focus on this quote from the update:

> While we understand that many players are fond of the previous color system, we’re very excited about the breadth and scope of armor, weapon, and vehicle customization options that will be available in Halo Infinite because of the coating system.

Depth is better than breadth in customization. More depth would be allowing us to chose primary color, secondary color, pattern, material, etc. I would rather have 24 colors, 7 patterns and 3 materials over having 500 armor coatings. In fact, if each pattern only had two colors, then those quantities would result in WAY MORE than 500 combinations. It is more fun to customize something that feels like our own then to rely on what the devs have created.

Additionally, more depth helps the devs. We all know this system was put into place to monetize that area of customization. Again, I am not too upset, but there is no point in beating around the bush. With that being said, why not add depth so there are more goals for the player to achieve?
In Halo 5, I unlocked everything I wanted for my Spartan by my 15th req pack unlock. I unlocked 200+ req packs after without buying a single one because I was satisfied with my appearance. I did this because I only had to unlock a helmet and armor. If I had unlock shoulders, chest, arms and legs like in Halo 4, then I would have more goals to achieve.
My point is, if colors, materials and patterns were all separate unlocks, then players would be more invested in unlocking all of that stuff (and paying for monetization) then if they only had one field to unlock: the entire skin.

People are going to hate this - much more than me - and you knew that. You also know that letting us customize those fields would bring nothing but parse and an opportunity to monetize those things. I am just kind of confused by the decision more than anything else.