Del Rio

I dunno if it is a good idea to simply open a new topic. Well I am new in this forum and not so familiar with everything. But I am watching this place for longer and thing it is alright.

One very important character for me is Cpt. Del Rio.
I personally think his role was undersized in Halo 4. I think he is an intressting character with many facets. And he was shown to negative in Halo 4. And mainly Halo should not be o n l y black n white.

I think we should bring him back. Not in Halo 5. Need a bit time between everything. But in Halo 6 or a side game. Also as more positive character. Not only negative.

I personally like him. Sure, he was against Chief and Cortana and was under massive pressure if they crashlanded on the walled planet Requiem.
But nether the less he managed to get the Infinity out and that very quick.
Lets say: his micro sucked a bit but his macro was brilliant fast.

So what you all think? Do you want to see him again in a not so negative role?

Fleetcom probably either relieved him entirely or had him reassigned.

> I dunno if it is a good idea to simply open a new topic. Well I am new in this forum and not so familiar with everything. But I am watching this place for longer and thing it is alright.
>
> One very important character for me is Cpt. Del Rio.
> I personally think his role was undersized in Halo 4. I think he is an intressting character with many facets. And he was shown to negative in Halo 4. And mainly Halo should not be o n l y black n white.
>
> I think we should bring him back. Not in Halo 5. Need a bit time between everything. But in Halo 6 or a side game. Also as more positive character. Not only negative.
>
> I personally like him. Sure, he was against Chief and Cortana and was under massive pressure if they crashlanded on the walled planet Requiem.
> But nether the less he managed to get the Infinity out and that very quick.
> Lets say: his micro sucked a bit but his macro was brilliant fast.
>
> So what you all think? Do you want to see him again in a not so negative role?

He’s a good character. and technically he didn’t do anything wrong.

Cortana was getting rampant. Chief was telling the captain to fight a guy and stop him because a dead Forerunner woman in a “Dream” said so

He was also a bit overwhelmed I think by the Grandeur of Requiem

I’d like to see him again. Seems like he does want the best for the UNSC. maybe in a final space battle in Halo 6 or something like that

I know Parangosky didn’t like him, and wanted Lasky to be captain in the first place.

When Del Rio went back to Earth Parangosky was proberly behind him losing his position and Lasky being promoted.

She didn’t like Glassmen either. I hope that squieler gets whats coming to him.

Your right about bringing him back though. Thats one of the things I love about the Kilo-5 series. Parangosky was depicted as a monster in Glasslands, then you see the situation through her eyes in Thursday war.

She was still a monster, just a slightly more respectible one, and no one can say she is a bad judge of character.

I think he made some valid points. I don’t know if Chief’s suggestion to go straight after the Didact was overly wise for a number of reasons. Firstly, they had no idea how strong the Covenant presence was, and I’d wager that a group of CCS-Class Battlecruisers could badly damage or destroy Infinity. Secondly, the Didact could simply disable the ship again, and I don’t imagine he’d care about it remaining intact a second time.

I would like why he acted so aggressively towards John, however. Hopefully there is a good reason and it wasn’t just the writers deciding they needed him to act like a -Yoink- just to get Chief to disobey him.

A few months ago I read a thread about Del Rio and how he was a terrible person and Captain etc because of his actions in Halo 4. This post I’m quoting below was posted in the same thread and shows Del Rio to be a much better person than people think.

> Tribunal Board: Why, Captain, did you leave the Master Chief to fight the Didact alone on Requiem?
>
> Del Rio: Well, sirs, at the time I had not seen any concrete evidence to suggest that the Didact was anything more than a figment of a psychologically scarred Spartan and his clearly rampant A.I. Although the Satellite fled after bombardment from the Infinity, I had no way of knowing its full power and did not want to risk the pride of the UNSC Navy and her 17,000 strong crew against an unknown quantity. Furthermore, Infinity is the fastest ship we have and so I chose, perhaps regrettably, to leave Requiem in order to warn HIGHCOM about the potential impending threat. When I proposed this, the AI ‘Cortana’ displayed clear signs of rampancy and nearly caused damage to Infinity. Under Article 55 of UNSC Regulation I moved to have said rampant AI detained and destroyed, and when doing so faced insubordination by Spartan 117, who behaved in an intimidating manner towards my person. As per UNSC law, I ordered Spartan Sarah Palmer to arrest him, an order she failed to carry out. I left for Earth to warn of the potential threat Requiem posed, and soon after the New Phoenix event happened. I regret the choices I made, but I stand by them. The law is the law.
>
> Tribunal Board: Perfectly understandable, captain. We also regret that this happened, but do not blame you. Clearly, you adhered to UNSC law. In light of the Master Chief’s actions, we will not be issuing him with a court martial. And although you did nothing wrong, politics are a fickle thing. Osman is pushing for Laksey to assume command of Infinity, and we hope it is a decision you do not oppose too strongly.
>
> Del Rio: He’s a good man, he’ll make a good captain. I’d like to tender my resignation from the UNSC, if you’ll accept it. This wasn’t something my career can recover from, and I’d rather not spend the rest of my days seeing scorn in the faces of my colleagues.
>
> Tribunal Board: Of course, captain. You’ll be given honourable discharge and a full military pension. We hope you can put all that’s happened behind you, and that you do not blame yourself too heavily. You are excused.
>
> Del Rio: Sirs.
>
> salutes and walks off
>
> Del Rio lived alone for several years after, the ghost of what he had let happen through his inaction haunting him constantly. After a long battle through personal depression, Del Rio finally took his own life in 2563. His final testament was an apology to Master Chief Petty Officer 117, and all those who lost family at New Phoenix.

Personally, I wonder how the interactions with Chief and Del Rio would’ve played out had Del Rio been a level-headed, calmer character who used logic to back himself up. Sure, it’s easy for the Chief to look good against a raving -Yoink- like Del Rio in Halo 4, but would he look as good had Del Rio NOT been a raving -Yoink-? I doubt it.

Del rio seemingly existed for no reason other than to disagree with the chief.

Could’ve been a much stronger new character, imo.

> Personally, I wonder how the interactions with Chief and Del Rio would’ve played out had Del Rio been a level-headed, calmer character who used logic to back himself up. Sure, it’s easy for the Chief to look good against a raving -Yoink!- like Del Rio in Halo 4, but would he look as good had Del Rio NOT been a raving -Yoink!-? I doubt it.

I highly doubt a Captain of his stature would his head like that, especially at one of humanity’s greatest war heroes.

If he’s the Captain of the best ship humanity has ever created I doubt he was that bad a guy. Halo 4 just portrayed him as one sided, though I doubt he’ll make an appearance again.

> Del rio seemingly existed for no reason other than to disagree with the chief.
>
>
> Could’ve been a much stronger new character, imo.

He’s pretty much an excuse for chief to go off on his own to ianoff station

Personally he reminds me of Ackerson, definitely seemed like he was under pressure from O.N.I. at least i got that impression.

> He’s a good character. and technically he didn’t do anything wrong.

Uh, yes he did.

For starters, he overestimated the ship he was placed in command of, and ordered very poor actions upon the Infinity’s crash, leading to his XO being stranded in hostile territory. Upon Lasky re-establishing communications, Del Rio showed little to no concern for Lasky, demanding information on the Gravity Well. He then failed to provide secure evacuation for Lasky and his squad, telling him to simply “Make it happen.”

Similarly, Del Rio showed complete disregard for John-117 - a very seasoned and experienced soldier - calling him an “Aging Spartan” as though he were suffering from delusions and memory lapses (not to mention in light of dangerous intel.) Del Rio seemed to be against intelligence of any sort, flat-out denying a reconnaissance run during the assault on the Gravity Well that very likely could have made the operation far more successful and saved him damage to the Mammoth. During this encounter, he even brings into question John-117’s military experience, saying that he knows “[He’s] been off the field for a while.” Del Rio shows no regard for his crew, strong war assets like John-117, or basic military procedures such as reconnaissance and information-sharing. He treats bringing soldiers up to speed as a tedious task, rather than a necessary process for tactical advantage.

Lastly, through ignorance of John’s intel on the Didact, he failed to take proper actions in halting the Didact’s plans, and exposed Earth and all of mankind to a vastly superior threat. As Cortana pointed out, locating and shutting down the traffic control facilities and overloading the attenuators would have been far easier with the Infinity to help. Though I am loathe to acknowledge Traviss’ writing, Parangosky’s assessment of Del Rio is apt; he’s a manager, not a captain.

I know he is a controversial character. And thanks for the discussion. But my question was more like:

> Do you want to see him again in a not so negative role?

It would be interesting, but I don’t see much need. He was basically the opening for Lasky to become the Captain of the Infinity.

No i get that man and do disrespect to your thread but if your answer was yes or no, which is what you asked, then i think both sides should defend the argument. Also i think its pretty badass you started this thread, seems to be sparking ideas and viewpoints.

> I know he is a controversial character. And thanks for the discussion. But my question was more like:
>
> > Do you want to see him again in a not so negative role?

Yes. Perhaps Humanity could be building a second Infinity Class ship, which we see under construction at Earth in Halo 5 and then in Halo 6 we see her show up to assist and save the day with Del Rio as Captain. Maybe Del Rio himself can show up in Halo 5, in command of a smaller ship and we see how he earns the right to command another Infinity Class in Halo 6.

Making Del Rio non-negative would be the same as having a completely different character. He has no interesting background, no special character quirks outside of negativity. He’s just a walking negative plot element. Nobody in universe seems to like him.

If he showed up for a rescue in any ship, he’d probably be more aggravating that the enemy.

> If he showed up for a rescue in any ship, he’d probably be more aggravating that the enemy.

He’d be the most annoying, uncaring rescue ever. “We’re here. Find your own evac and clear your own evac sites. Make it happen!”

Personally, I think he had some sort of problem with the Spartan II program. Would explain why he was so hostile to Chief.

> Personally, I think he had some sort of problem with the Spartan II program. Would explain why he was so hostile to Chief.

Well he’s hating on the wrong people. I can see him disliking halsey, but the S-II’s are victims not the perpetrators.

It would have also helped if he had said something more direct to state this.