Defiant map pack is... not good.

I am sadly disappointed in this pack. Foremost, the installations are too ‘busy’. Random screens and electronics are just thrown in everywhere, none of it makes any sense. Trees and water look terrible, the whole thing looks like a ‘throw more stuff in it’ approach. Tactically, on Highlands, 1 sniper we never touched killed 32 people without dying. Forged the map, there were 2 spots 1 guy could cover with a jetpack that can see EVERY SINGLE SPAWN for the other team. Halo used to have better spawns. Now, it’s COD spawn camping at its finest. Random land mines? Why? Make the PLAYERS frag the vehicles. The firefight map is way to large for firefight, again, has no flow to it, no real design paradigm, just random stuff thrown everywhere. The flags don’t wave, they are just decals. The crates don’t even look as good. Its like they were made in an older engine. There is such a gulf of quality between these maps and the last map pack and Reach itself. If this is indicative of what is to come, I made a bet with a friend that the first 343 Halo game WILL have perks and progression, no balance at all, wallhacking and everything, because that’s what the nerds like, apparently. They will be dumped out every single year until the franchise is completely destroyed. IF I liked COD, I would PLAY COD. I LIKED Halo. It was a real game that people took time on and cared about. I am disgusted that I paid good space bucks for these oversized, unbalanced, ugly excuses for maps. Anyone else feel the same?

> I am sadly disappointed in this pack. Foremost, the installations are too ‘busy’. Random screens and electronics are just thrown in everywhere, none of it makes any sense. Trees and water look terrible, the whole thing looks like a ‘throw more stuff in it’ approach. Tactically, on Highlands, 1 sniper we never touched killed 32 people without dying. Forged the map, there were 2 spots 1 guy could cover with a jetpack that can see EVERY SINGLE SPAWN for the other team. Halo used to have better spawns. Now, it’s COD spawn camping at its finest. Random land mines? Why? Make the PLAYERS frag the vehicles. The firefight map is way to large for firefight, again, has no flow to it, no real design paradigm, just random stuff thrown everywhere. The flags don’t wave, they are just decals. The crates don’t even look as good. Its like they were made in an older engine. There is such a gulf of quality between these maps and the last map pack and Reach itself. If this is indicative of what is to come, I made a bet with a friend that the first 343 Halo game WILL have perks and progression, no balance at all, wallhacking and everything, because that’s what the nerds like, apparently. They will be dumped out every single year until the franchise is completely destroyed. IF I liked COD, I would PLAY COD. I LIKED Halo. It was a real game that people took time on and cared about. I am disgusted that I paid good space bucks for these oversized, unbalanced, ugly excuses for maps. Anyone else feel the same?

I know this is a review, but I’m going to have to call things out on it.
Installations being too busy? That’s called scenery to cause yourself to be immersed in your environment. The trees and water aren’t top notch, because I want to say that the maps run faster if they do that. Easier for the engine to pump out.

Yes, Highlands has a problem when it comes to snipers. But, that’s part of the beauty of the map. It’s an amazing place for everything. I have yet to have seen a spawn problem on the maps.

Unearthed too big of a firefight map? It’s almost the same size of Lost Platoon from Halo 3: ODST. It’s the thing a lot of us players have been waiting for in Halo: Reach. Also, when it comes to graphics on small things within the map… If you’re complaining about that, then you’re not looking at core gameplay and how it works. If you’re too focused on things that really don’t matter in the game, you’ve got yourself a problem.

Also, don’t be so quick to judge a Halo game from 343. Sure, we haven’t seen anything past Halo Waypoint and the Defiant Map Pack. Who knows? This team puts their fans first into what they want to see. I trust 343i when it comes to the rest of the Halo franchise. It is made up of a lot of ex-Bungie employees, after all. You can’t just assume that it’s going to have all of these problems because of a problem you have with one map pack. That’s not right.

I wasn’t trying to bite your head off or anything. Just stating my opinion. =]

Why are you ‘‘crying’’ about buying the map pack? There were plenty of videos, reviews and much more content about the map pack. I call it crying, because you really are. You could’ve watched videos and asked for some opinions. Instead you buyed the map pack without doing research about it.

If you did research and you still bought the map pack it is your own fault for buying it. You knew what you were getting.

> Why are you ‘‘crying’’ about buying the map pack? There were plenty of videos, reviews and much more content about the map pack. I call it crying, because you really are. You could’ve watched videos and asked for some opinions. Instead you buyed the map pack without doing research about it.
>
> If you did research and you still bought the map pack it is your own fault for buying it. You knew what you were getting.

Maybe he just wanted to gather his own opinion on it. That’s also why I don’t bother reading game reviews. I don’t need someone telling me what I should think when I have the ability to form my own opinion.

He is entitled to have a negative opinion on the maps. I certainly don’t share it, but he can have it.

Man, unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful.

Unearthed is a brilliant Firefight map that is exactly what the fans asked for.

Highlands is fantastic for BTB, and all you need do is grab another sniper, or use your frackin DMR.

Condemned is like a better Anchor 9 and easily my fav of the three.

Too bad, troll. I saw through the mask.

*This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create multiple accounts in an effort to bump threads.

Abject spawn killing is a beautiful thing? Only if you are the sniper. I know a kid that all he does all day long is spawn kill with a sniper in COD, I make fun of him for it, says Halo is designed for that not to happen. Guess not anymore. I played a Stockpile match, it was terrible. Walk 5 feet and die. Over and over. Its not skill. This didn’t happen on any other map before this. I spawned within about 20 feet of my last spawn EVERY TIME. If the junk in the level wasn’t meant to be looked at, why is it there? Its just too much crap on every surface, it detracts from playing the game. TVs on the ceiling, random land mines on the other map that doesn’t even have vehicles? Why? IS this and RPG? Where is my rogue? I don’t remember unmanned TRAPS on any other maps, ever. At least you had to shoot the plasma coils. I personally hated the big FF maps in ODST. That’s personal preference, but its still feels like an unfinished Bungie campaign map hastily converted. Also, you really mean to tell me that I should have gotten a real feel of gameplay from marketing screenshots and videos? Really? Those people can make the worst game ever look good. I’ve just never been this disappointed with anything Halo. Ever. I have bought every single map before, because I knew they were ALWAYS quality. As far as 343, you get one chance to make a first impression. This one is fat, smelly, farts and she picks her nose at the dinner table.

The firefight map is only too large if you, wait, it’s not. Seriously, I’ve played regular firefight with a full group and gruntpocalypse by myself, it’s amazing. If you can’t beat a sniper on Highlands, he’s clearly better than you or your team has no communication skills. Sorry.

If you don’t like the scenery I suggest getting a game like Doom 2 and removing the texture files, that way you can not be bothered with silly nuisances such as walls, windows, water, floor… you can enjoy a nice gray color palette.

Seriously though, there’s a difference between a review and being constructive, you’ve provided nothing constructive here.

I really like the three new maps. I don’t know what everybody is crying about. I think they are some of the best in a while.

I think the definat maps were great, we can’t have perfect maps, but these were good.

> The firefight map is only too large if you, wait, it’s not. Seriously, I’ve played regular firefight with a full group and gruntpocalypse by myself, it’s amazing. If you can’t beat a sniper on Highlands, he’s clearly better than you or your team has no communication skills. Sorry.
>
> If you don’t like the scenery I suggest getting a game like Doom 2 and removing the texture files, that way you can not be bothered with silly nuisances such as walls, windows, water, floor… you can enjoy a nice gray color palette.
>
> Seriously though, there’s a difference between a review and being constructive, you’ve provided nothing constructive here.

There are some aspects I agree with and several others I do not agree with:

Agreed:

Yes the water and the trees that are on the far ends of the map look 2D on Highlands as well as the Ships, however Iam not really bothered by It, because I spend my time searching for an anemy player to kill and not lookign at the scenery, some times I even forget the ships or trees are there.

Disagree:

The fact that your tem was beaten so badly by a sniper is not the map’s fault, it is your teams fault, there are is a lot of cover in that map and usually running out in the open will get you sniped, and not only In Higrounds, It happens on every map, I have had games with 22 - 0 and 25 - 0 sniper kills on both Paradiso and Hemmorrhage so as you can see it is not the map it is the players, If you see you are being sniped every time you go through certain area then avoid that area alltogether and move through different roads or bait the enemy into your own half of the map, you guys also have a sniper in your base.

Unearthed is a great FF map most of us asked for a large FF map that would allow us to have vehicle combat and that felt like Lost Platoon did back in ODST and Unearthed has delivered this feeling.

As for the electronics being thrown “Everywhere?” I assume you are speaking about Condemned, well IT is a space station, have you ever watched any Sci-Fi movies, programs and such you know like Star Trek, Stargate Universe, etc? The ships are full of this kind of stuff it is part of the Sci-Fi genere Halo belongs to.

I forged the map, one team spawns in a building with walls and cover. The other side spawns in the open in that open bowl of a base, you can see EVERY SINGLE SPAWN from the spawn area of the other team. Sure he was good, but its completely unbalanced and too easy to spawn kill. The spawns are broken on that map. There was nowhere to go, 1 step, dead. The sniper on the open side is IN THE OPEN, there is no wall, nothing. Anyone that took a step towards it was dead. Its a poor design, without the attention to detail in how the spawns work that Bungie apparently ‘got’ I would get 1 bad spawn kill in SWAT occasionally, it happens, but this was terrible. when a guy gets like 5 overkills off of spawn killing in 1 match, there is something wrong. I watched as half my team spawned literally shoulder to shoulder to each other in a open area and get mowed down immediately. But, hey, the maps are large, which is apparently what everyone wants. Because if you look, the vast majority of players play big team, right? Right?

all i seen reading this post you disagree with ff and u are crap at halo just cos of a sniper i have had that problem on that map i just simply walked away from a freakin hero sniping me!

The maps are really good but the bad thing is that Reach´s coregameplay is -Yoink- so it fails a bit.
But from design they are good.

Learn the map, find the best sniping points, and avoid the snipers line of sight. The maps are what you want any mp games. The things that matter get engine power and the things that dont matter dont soak it up. This makes for smoother gameplay. Almost all of the other mp maps are based on campaign areas so they have more detail on everything. Look at all the maps of Highlands size, none of them run as smooth.

My biggest complaint on any Halo map was Lost Platoon, you could tell the buildings in the background were flat props, not even an illusion of depth, however, in the heat of a fight you don’t really stare at those buildings.

First of all me and alot of people are extremely happy with unearthed the FF map. We all where waiting for an ODST FF feeling witch was awsome. Secondly trip mines? idk where you say tripmines. Thirdly like someone already stated all the stuff you see is called Scenary something that all halo games have had over all other FPS its one of the little things that makes halo stand out from the rest. And lastly the snipers is fine in highlands i havent played a match on highlands or condemned for that matter where i curse the snipers!

Admittedly, I played the FF map Score Attack, which it does not really appear designed for. The 4 person FF is usually so laggy that I quit playing it ages ago. Some FF junkie on Bungie’s forums really liked it 4 player, and it IS the least bad looking of the maps. I defer that its probably much better on classic FF. Which is usually unplayable on my 30mb connection. As far as line of sight, I SPAWN DIRECTLY IN HIS LINE OF SIGHT IN THE OPEN SIX STRAIGHT TIMES. All the map learnin’ and uber pwnage in the world doesn’t fix that. Look at the Radio Tower spawn, where the sniper is, look across, and see the 30 spawn points bunched together out in the open and tell me thats a fantastic design and that uber skillz overcome that.

> Random land mines? Why? Make the PLAYERS frag the vehicles.

The land mines are only for Race.