Defend Halo 4

hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.

Campain
I felt that the campain was true hardcore halo and actualy in some ways better than the games before it because i felt that the chief had more of a voice(literly) i belive the cheif to be a great character with alot of potential and i feel that 343 has just started to unlock that. I felt that the new ememy types were well thought out and work together well.

multiplayer
I feel like multiplayer has changed the most but at its core remains the same halo formula. I do not nessarily believe that we needed custom classes but it does give the player more option on how they want to play im sure when this game finds its feet the playlist selection will get better however all my faviourits are still there right now. The ordanance system i believe works very well and the random ordanance drops in objective game types make things fair

Spartan ops
i love the idea of spartan ops because it gives you a reason to play co op it gives you more info on the story and is intreguing to see however i feel that it should at least give us hints as to what happened to the chief after halo 4 prehaps these are coming in the future. I also feel that for those player who play spartan ops on there own a few bots would have been nice just to give the player the feel of working in a team like they are supposed to be.

Well that is just a few of my feelings about halo 4 please dont be afraid to ask any questions you might have

flinch the biggest change they made was never in the halo formula and its a disaster imo it should never be put in again well i think anyway

Campain - I liked being able to continue the story of MC and Cortana. it would have been nice to have a backstory for the Storm as I didn’t read the books after Ghosts of Onyx. I think that it looked nice and it seemd like it was “drawn” or “rendered” (I dunno the correct term) than Reach. Reach seemed a little bit cartoony. I think the Forerunner weapons are cool and I found the knights challenging. I’m hoping that theending is not where 343 left one of the most imprtant characters, maybe we will se more of that character in Halo 5.

Multiplayer - I like multiplayer quite a bit. I wish I could customize my helmet still, and that the female models looked female, but those are minor gripes. From what i have experienced, the multiplayer is a blast and I look forward to continuing it after I beat the Mass Effect trilogy again.

Spartan Ops - It’s cool to continue the story with a group of Spartans (though i normally play it by myself). I like being able to see more of the story, but i wish it wasn’t on a repeating set of maps. It makes me feel like the Spartans just keep losing territory and have to figth to get it back all over again. I kinda wish the maps were different each time. I really like the CGI videos, they seem well done (though the voices seem a bit quite).

I wish they had kept firefight, it was a fun game mode and made me feel like Iwas controlling a Spartan, being able to take on wave after wave of enemies.

Campaign was nothing special, Multiplayer is laughably boring and stale, SpartanOps is fun for the first few missions but gets repetitive(especially the locations).
Next.

> hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, <mark>adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games</mark>.

The thing about that is by splicing in newer elements they lost something in transition. The game just doesn’t FEEL like Halo to me. I miss weapon pick ups. I miss the custom options. I miss Halo being whatever I want it to be, not what 343i thinks it should be.

> Campain
> I felt that the campain was true hardcore halo and actualy in some ways better than the games before it because i felt that the chief had more of a voice(literly) i belive the cheif to be a great character with alot of potential and i feel that 343 has just started to unlock that. I felt that the new ememy types were well thought out and work together well.

I’ll just say I disagree. Chief and Cortana were great in the game, but every other character was lacking in development and only there to make Chief look good. The Didact was a pitiful excuse for a villain when you really break him down in terms of his behavior in-game and how he is shown in the canon. Everything just went by too fast for my liking.

> multiplayer
> I feel like multiplayer has changed the most but at its core remains the same halo formula. I do not nessarily believe that we needed custom classes but it does give the player more option on how they want to play im sure when this game finds its feet the playlist selection will get better however all my faviourits are still there right now. The ordanance system i believe works very well and the random ordanance drops in objective game types make things fair

I’ll have to disagree with the custom classes giving us more options. If you don’t have the DMR or Boltshot, you’ll probably lose in most engagements. Ordinance is flawed too. I get it is random, but something is seriously wrong when everybody else gets Binary Rifles, Rocket Launchers, Shotguns and I keep getting Sticky Detonators.

Also the lack of real custom game options is atrocious.

> Spartan ops
> i love the idea of spartan ops because it gives you a reason to play co op it gives you more info on the story and is intreguing to see however i feel that it should at least give us hints as to what happened to the chief after halo 4 prehaps these are coming in the future. I also feel that for those player who play spartan ops on there own a few bots would have been nice just to give the player the feel of working in a team like they are supposed to be.

Spartan Ops is a crushing disappointment. Only near the end of the first half of Season 1 have the missions matched the story being told in the CG cutscenes. Take Episode 2 for example, in the cutscene we learn about the Artifact, but the missions have little or nothing to do about it. Take out Forerunner AA guns, rescue Marines, rescue scientists and you get shot down. Where is the relevance to the story?

The recycling of maps is terrible too with only Cauldron and The Refuge being the only real noticeable new areas…and even then those are repeated.

And as for Palmer and Company…then need better writers. Nuff said.

i have read all the comments here and i feel that they are all valid in there own respects but there are a few things i disagree with i think the didact is an interestng villan that has not been fully developed yet however i agree that the characters beside chief and cortan were a bit underdeveloped in the game however the characters of Lasky and Commander Rio were fleshed out a bit in halo forward unto dawn web series and halo the thuesday war novel respectivly. The campain was over very quickly but gave you an experience to remember.

As for the custom classes in multiplayer I see where people are coming form but you have got to think alot of games used to have the whole pick up guns machanice all the 007 games for ps2 come to mind but i think the FPS era has evolved and with it custom classes have been developed. I think that halo catches up on this and i have to disagree that you need the DMR or equviliant weapons. I mostly use an assult rifle however i normaly play the smaller slayer variant where these are not so much of a disadvantage. At its hart the halo 4 multiplayer is still halo the energy shild the way you have to think about each engagement it all boils down to the same formula used in reach and other bungie halo games.

I will conced and say that halo 4 could be better but in a way i believe this is 343 dangling there feet in the water and we will get a grat halo 5 when all this fan feeback and been analysed.

> i have read all the comments here and i feel that they are all valid in there own respects but there are a few things i disagree with i think the didact is an interestng villan that has not been fully developed yet however i agree that the characters beside chief and cortan were a bit underdeveloped in the game however the characters of Lasky and Commander Rio were fleshed out a bit in halo forward unto dawn web series and halo the thuesday war novel respectivly. The campain was over very quickly but gave you an experience to remember.

My thoughts on the Didact, here. Read if you wish.

Halo 4 will be great, as soon as this beta is over with !

> hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.

Halo 2 a game which became famous on XBL for arena styled multiplayer has become modernised in an effort to expand its audience at the expense of its old one. The result of this modernisation from a multiplayer point of view was a disoriented mess revolving around little punishment for death and luck based combat.

> Campain
> I felt that the campain was <mark>true hardcore halo and actualy in some ways better than the games before it</mark> because i felt that the chief had more of a voice(literly) i belive the cheif to be a great character with alot of potential and i feel that 343 has just started to unlock that. I felt that the new ememy types were well thought out and work together well.

What is the Halo feel? How would you describe it? Is it a brand or a gameplay element? Personally I’d define the Halo campaign at its core to be the freedom of choice. ‘Oh look a large open field covered with enemies. Just gonna leave these vehicles around but if you don’t like driving then you know what they say about rocks; they’re nature’s bouncy castles!’ The game reviewer Yatzee on Halo 4. Halo is the ability to roam free and choose how you want to attack. At times 343 did capture this feeling and at times they didn’t.

As for narrative the story ranges from good character development to completely fascicle decisions by certain Captains. The story also progresses from being perfectly understandable to flying off the tracks completely confusing players (for those who have not read the books). Some sections of the narrative were slow and ‘grindy’ whilst other sections flew past with little pacing. Furthermore the characters clash with other canon from the books in some places. You could also state that an essential part of the story is within the terminals which require you to download an entire game just to view.

Oh and too many buttons.

> multiplayer
> I feel like multiplayer has changed the most but at its core <mark>remains the same halo formula</mark>. I do not nessarily believe that we needed custom classes but it does give the player more option on how they want to play im sure when this game finds its feet the playlist selection will get better however all my faviourits are still there right now. <mark>The ordanance system i believe works very well and the random ordanance drops in objective game types make things fair</mark>

The multiplayer needs serious work. I won’t even begin to describe the flaws in map design, balancing or vehicles I’ll just cover the basics. 343 have completely removed a classic Halo experience and competitive Halo for no reason. From this we can deduct that 343 have little respect for Halo’s competitive past or fans of that competitive past. Ordinance fills the maps full of power weapons, removes map flow (as players no longer need to fight for weapons) and adds another element of luck to the combat. Sprint makes all of the maps huge and makes instant-re-spawns even worse. Loadouts sacrifice balance and skill for customisation and luck. AA ruin some map flow, are frustrating and remove power positions on the map.

However all of this could be overlooked if 343 had added in 3 to 5 classic playlists (including MLG) but nothing.

> Spartan ops
> i love the idea of spartan ops because it gives you a reason to play co op it gives you more info on the story and is intreguing to see however i feel that it should at least give us hints as to what happened to the chief after halo 4 prehaps these are coming in the future. I also feel that for those player who play spartan ops on there own a few bots would have been nice just to give the player the feel of working in a team like they are supposed to be.

Repetitive, can’t be played alone, replaced firefight when both could have been in the game, poor narrative, same areas and egghead Palmer. Oh and LAG.

> Well that is just a few of my feelings about halo 4 please dont be afraid to ask any questions you might have

With a forge that had no significant changes except 2 things, 1 of which was broken.
Broken custom games.
And a worse theatre.

All I can say is this:

If you want a good campaign play Spec Ops the Line or Walking Dead.

If you want a good multiplayer Play Modern Warfare 2 or Planetside (it would have been Halo CE/2 PC but they both got taken down).

If you want to make maps play Far Cry 3

If you want to film gameplay play Black Ops 2

If you want poor consumer support, lag and unbalanced mess play Halo 4.

1st Link on Google as a direct link won’t work.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Halo+4+LordKat&oq=Halo+4+LordKat&aqs=chrome.0.57j60l3.5527&sugexp=chrome,mod=8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

> Halo 4 will be great, as soon as this beta is over with !

You’re clever.

Campaign:

Not great. Not horrible. Even on legendary, it’s too easy. QTEs take away from immersion. Story was fine. I’m ready for more.

Spartan Ops:

Basically, an awful version of campaign. The plot delivery is poor. The levels are re-used. You get infinite lives, so it’s IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE. That’s right - there is NO CHALLENGE WHATSOEVER! To counter this all enemies are totally overinflated in health and quantity (on legendary).

Worst of all though, is that this edges out Firefight. Firefight was a REAL challenge. Scads of enemies and limited lives forced you to develop strategies, communicate with your team, and get better.

As it stands, spartan ops is simply an exercise in tedium.

Multiplayer:

It’s fun. A lot of fun. I am a fan of the loadout system and default sprint.
Still, much much much is flawed.

—Nothing is earned:

  • Everyone starts with a one-hit kill close range weapon and a ranged “i saw you first” weapon
  • Everyone has the ability to spawn a power weapon
  • Instant respawn means that deaths have almost no penalty for the individual(besides other team getting a point)
  • Death cam gives away location of killer

—No ranking system

—No “X” over recently fallen allies

—Vehicles (esp Warthog) are hardly an advantage anymore

  • Anyone can spawn with plasma grenades
  • Anyone can spawn with plasma pistol
  • Anyone can spawn a power weapon

—Why do we need so many versions of the same gun while missing other favorites?

  • LR/BR/DMR
  • Suppressor/AR
  • Shotgun/scattershot/boltshot
  • No grenade launcher? plasma launcher? sentinel beam? target locator? Incineration grenades?

—No forged maps in MM

  • There are soooo few maps in the rotation as it is…

—Custom is ruined

—Theater is limited

To OP: I strongly disagree with your Multiplayer opinion. I think 343i ruined Halo’s Multiplayer and that is why I don’t even play War Games. I do however agree with your Spartan Ops and Campaign opinions.

Major respect for this OP, all very valid points and very true.

Halo 4 is a great game. It’s not halo that has changed for the worst, it’s the community, look at every other AAA forum out there and you will see the same thing. The vocal minority whining about change. And if it wasn’t change it would be something else. You see… it’s not about the game, it’s about the human condition.

People need something to whine about and this time around it happens to be halo. 343i realizes this and thus pays them no heed. They only pay attention to constructive criticism from others devs and critics, the only people who are really knowledgable about the inner working of games anyways, not all these forum rats who have nothing better to do but hate.

Things are just fine online, what I usually do now is just ignore the forums, everyone who actually is serious about the game and plays you will find online are pretty positive about it anyway… barring the occasional legitimate complaint Ie.) specializations, customs, bugs ONLY balances are fine.

Nuff said…

> hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.
>
> Campain
> I felt that the campain was true hardcore halo and actualy in some ways better than the games before it because i felt that the chief had more of a voice(literly) i belive the cheif to be a great character with alot of potential and i feel that 343 has just started to unlock that. I felt that the new ememy types were well thought out and work together well.
>
> multiplayer
> I feel like multiplayer has changed the most but at its core remains the same halo formula. I do not nessarily believe that we needed custom classes but it does give the player more option on how they want to play im sure when this game finds its feet the playlist selection will get better however all my faviourits are still there right now. The ordanance system i believe works very well and the random ordanance drops in objective game types make things fair
>
> Spartan ops
> i love the idea of spartan ops because it gives you a reason to play co op it gives you more info on the story and is intreguing to see however i feel that it should at least give us hints as to what happened to the chief after halo 4 prehaps these are coming in the future. I also feel that for those player who play spartan ops on there own a few bots would have been nice just to give the player the feel of working in a team like they are supposed to be.
>
>
> Well that is just a few of my feelings about halo 4 please dont be afraid to ask any questions you might have

Campaign:
I will agree with you here, I actually rather liked it a lot. The ending could have been a lot better, but after Mass Effect 3, I’ll learn to appreciate what ending we get.

Multiplayer: In it’s current state, the multiplayer is awful. few maps, the DMR and Boltshot are overpowered and need to get beaten with the nerf stick, SEVERELY. Active Camo promotes camping and should be made and ordinance drop, and lag is rampant everywhere. I feel as if the multiplayer plays like an early beta, and I’m honestly pretty disappointed with it.

Spartan Ops: It’s either a hit or miss with me. It can be fun sometimes, but the re-used levels make it seem rather repetitive.

> hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have <mark>there own ideas</mark> to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.

Their own ideas? More like Infinity Ward’s ideas

> > hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> > In my opinion 343 did an amazing job at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.
> >
> > Campain
> > I felt that the campain was true hardcore halo and actualy in some ways better than the games before it because i felt that the chief had more of a voice(literly) i belive the cheif to be a great character with alot of potential and i feel that 343 has just started to unlock that. I felt that the new ememy types were well thought out and work together well.
> >
> > multiplayer
> > I feel like multiplayer has changed the most but at its core remains the same halo formula. I do not nessarily believe that we needed custom classes but it does give the player more option on how they want to play im sure when this game finds its feet the playlist selection will get better however all my faviourits are still there right now. The ordanance system i believe works very well and the random ordanance drops in objective game types make things fair
> >
> > Spartan ops
> > i love the idea of spartan ops because it gives you a reason to play co op it gives you more info on the story and is intreguing to see however i feel that it should at least give us hints as to what happened to the chief after halo 4 prehaps these are coming in the future. I also feel that for those player who play spartan ops on there own a few bots would have been nice just to give the player the feel of working in a team like they are supposed to be.
> >
> >
> > Well that is just a few of my feelings about halo 4 please dont be afraid to ask any questions you might have
>
> Campaign:
> I will agree with you here, I actually rather liked it a lot. The ending could have been a lot better, but after Mass Effect 3, I’ll learn to appreciate what ending we get.
>
> Multiplayer: In it’s current state, the multiplayer is awful. few maps, the DMR and Boltshot are overpowered and need to get beaten with the nerf stick, SEVERELY. Active Camo promotes camping and should be made and ordinance drop, and lag is rampant everywhere. I feel as if the multiplayer plays like an early beta, and I’m honestly pretty disappointed with it.
>
> Spartan Ops: It’s either a hit or miss with me. It can be fun sometimes, but the re-used levels make it seem rather repetitive.

I completely agree with Pooty Hutchins

I’m at the point where I don’t care what anyone says, I love this game to death and don’t experience the problems that seem to be so game breaking. I guess I’m lucky.

Almost every aspect of the game is great, and this community can’t make me think otherwise in any way shape or form. I support 343i and hope they can make this game even greater than it currently is, heck they could make it the next Halo 2. They certainly have the talent to do so.

And yes, they do listen, I’ve seen numerous posts right here on the forums and on other forums (and especially on twitter) showing that they do care and are taking feedback. You don’t have to believe me, it doesnt matter anyway, cause I know what i’m saying is true.

Halo 4 ever

-msonic

> Campaign was nothing special, Multiplayer is laughably boring and stale, SpartanOps is fun for the first few missions but gets repetitive(especially the locations).
> Next.

Campaign was fun and added a lot of characterization which I enjoyed, multiplayer is still a great way to spend a couple hours with friends or enjoy myself in a nice round of “shoot everything that moves”, Spartan Ops is a fun cooperative experience which added more to its gameplay than Firefight and makes working like an actual team interesting.

I can have opinions, too.

> hey guys just wanted to say that i belive alot of people on here are being very critcal of halo 4.
> <mark>In my opinion 343 did an amazing job</mark> at tacking over a much loved franchise, adding to it and tweaing it so that they have there own ideas to the mix also trying to bring it up to the standards of other big games.

And that’s all it will ever be. An opinion.

Im glad people like it, but some people dont, and if 343i cant even respond to a concern that was posted on here and is over 150 pages long, they need to take the time to figure out their priorities. Especially now that halo has been kicked out of MLG.

Halo is definitely changing, but I question wether its for the best.

> Campaign:
> I will agree with you here, I actually rather liked it a lot. The ending could have been a lot better, but after Mass Effect 3, I’ll learn to appreciate what ending we get.
>
> Multiplayer: In it’s current state, the multiplayer is awful. few maps, the DMR and Boltshot are overpowered and need to get beaten with the nerf stick, SEVERELY. Active Camo promotes camping and should be made and ordinance drop, and lag is rampant everywhere. I feel as if the multiplayer plays like an early beta, and I’m honestly pretty disappointed with it.
>
> Spartan Ops: It’s either a hit or miss with me. It can be fun sometimes, but the re-used levels make it seem rather repetitive.

While I disagree with your veiw on the nerfing in multiplayer, I do think that lag is an issue. I have killed people I should not have and I’ve been killed by people that shouldn’t have killed me. It’s nice to see someone who also plays Mass Effect.