Death of community.

It sucks what multiplayer has become across all games. I remember the days of Halo 2 knowing that it was like a rule of thumb to have a mic on and ready. Now gaming has become so mainstreamed with trash talkers(thanks CoD) that we have various ways to mute and now some just don’t mic up for the sake of not risking an idiot trash talker or someone with an echoing mic or someone rocking a kinect mic or someone blasting music. I miss the days when people mic’d up to be a team player and try to increase the odds of winning by simple communication.

I know everyone says, “Play with your friends then.” It is kind of hard to do that when they all jumped on the CoD train. All most of us look for that say, “Mic up!” are looking for people to get on and make call outs. I know not everyone playing these games are reclusive nerds who have never played sports. Anyone who has played anything knows winning makes the game funner and communication is key.

So if you read this and you hear myself or someone else talking positions and calling out, grab your mic and start reviving community.

Back in the day, people were openminded enough to even test out and allow a gametype like “Infection” to exist. Now-a-days most gamers are self-entitled for all their “hard work” and are against any new ideas like bloom, much less something like a new gametype idea.

Yep, the Xbox 1’s community was so much better. Its not just this community though, go to ANY major game dev’s forums.

Gamers of all types are selfish and self-entitled now days.

Please stop, you’re going to make me shed a tear of nostalgia.

‘Nowadays’ is one word and bloom is an utterly horrible game mechanic.

New gametypes? Sure. I love Regicide, I think it is the best gametype in H4 and it’s an excellent blend of Juggernaut, VIP and Slayer (with a tiny bit of King of the Hill).

I just like ‘new’ to be synonymous with 'Well thought-out and tested".

When mature, well-mannered people become the majority of mic owners and people can be actually banned from playing due to their idiocy, then I will mic up.

> ‘Nowadays’ is one word and bloom is an utterly horrible game mechanic.
>
> New gametypes? Sure. I love Regicide, I think it is the best gametype in H4 and it’s an excellent blend of Juggernaut, VIP and Slayer (with a tiny bit of King of the Hill).
>
> I just like ‘new’ to be synonymous with 'Well thought-out and tested".

Thanks. I don’t know how I would have slept at night, knowing I spelled that wrong >_>

> ‘Nowadays’ is one word and bloom is an utterly horrible game mechanic.
>
> New gametypes? Sure. I love Regicide, I think it is the best gametype in H4 and it’s an excellent blend of Juggernaut, VIP and Slayer (with a tiny bit of King of the Hill).
>
> I just like ‘new’ to be synonymous with 'Well thought-out and tested".

Originality is nice too, like with hockey, grifball and revball.

> When mature, well-mannered people become the majority of mic owners and people can be actually banned from playing due to their idiocy, then I will mic up.

That is part of what destroys community. You can mic up and if someone is an idiot hold back and mute them.

Kids demand everything to be handed to them. Competition and balance doesn’t matter as long as they are “just having fun”. Then they hypocritically yet predictably get bored of they very games they so blindly defend, only to be drawn back in by graphic changes and flashy hype.

Then the cycle repeats, except they demand games be more and more braindead and less and less games that require actual input from the user. It’s as if they don’t want games to be games at all, but rather just want to brag over how “skilled” they are in a “game” that plays itself for them.

Whenever someone points out the flaws in their games or the flaws in this system of “less input, more reward”, they just blindly follow the game and fall back into the common argument of “ITS JUST A GAEM, GAEMS R FOR FUN”, even though their type of “game” isn’t fun because it has the replay value of watching paint dry over and over again.

The gaming industry going mainstream was the worst thing to ever happen to it because games just cater to the -Yoinking!- lowest common denominator who can’t even take the time to spell properly on a -Yoink!- forum. Because who gives two -Yoink- about quality as long as you attract more kids and make more money.

How is this relevant? No one cares about trying to win so no one is going to turn their mics on in your game.

Man, even in Halo 3 you had people with mics and team-talk. Now its just a disgrace

I dont mic up with strangers, because I don’t care what they have to say. Its that simple. If Im in a party with friends then yes I will mic up. I do not care what all the countless try-hards, fanboys, griefers, and teen-tards have to say about anything at all. I dont even listen to you. Just because you have freedom of speach does not mean I have to listen to it.

As a near 30 year gaming vet, I dont need you to tell me what you think of how I play nor any of your in game advice, nor do I care what you think eitherway.

I will however message someone if they play exceptionaly well in my favour to thank them. Because that is just good manners. Yes, you, the good hog drivers I mean you. Thanks.

> I dont mic up with strangers, because I don’t care what they have to say. Its that simple. If Im in a party with friends then yes I will mic up. I do not care what all the countless try-hards, fanboys, griefers, and teen-tards have to say about anything at all. I dont even listen to you.

Do you also play the lone wolf during team matches? Steal the sniper, vehicles, etc and only care about your KD? You are whats wrong with the gaming community.

> Do you also play the lone wolf during team matches? Steal the sniper, vehicles, etc and only care about your KD? You are whats wrong with the gaming community.

How can I “steal” a sniper when its a map drop and belongs to no-one? Its first come first serve. Same for vehicles, first come first serve. Do I get pissy and betray others? Nope, because Im an adult and move on to helping the team elsewhere. I dont give a rats -Yoink!- about k/d ratio or stats.

So no it is not I that you claim is " what’s wrong with the community" its that attitude of yours that is. Getting upity and pissy because someone doesnt play to your self imposed rules is the real problem with the community.

> So if you read this and you hear myself or someone else talking positions and calling out, grab your mic and start reviving community.

When I go into Matchmaking solo, I do so in a one-man Party Chat. If I see the speech indicator lighting up during the match, I switch to Game Chat on my next death.

It’s always a Kinect mic. Who at Microsoft made the decision to set these awful-quality devices loose on game chat? :frowning:

> So if you read this and you hear myself or someone else talking positions and calling out, grab your mic and start reviving community.

Hear, hear.

however, even back in the day, people didn’t talk over Xbox Live. I know I only made callouts when I was in a competitive match and generally speaking, others made the first callouts, then I joined in.

I don’t look at this entire situation and think its a smart thing (not having a mic), but some people just don’t want to talk or make callouts. I do agree we need less of that and more people communicating constantly though.

I just played a game on Adrift and I havent played in a few days so I was rusty and not playing well and this kid was freaking out on me for not beating down a guy that was 1 shot. He proceeded to yell call me the f and c word over and over while I sat there in amazement that he was getting that mad over a video game. Im 26 and mature when it comes to winning or losing. I feel the community now if filled with teens and kids in their early 20’s who just seem to be mad at the world for no reason whatsoever. I calmly tried to ask this kid why he was so mad and why he took this game so seriously. I told him I play for fun and just wanted to shoot some people and relax after a long day. he continued to yell at me and curse me out for no reason. Seems to happen a lot in the Halo community these days. I miss the old Halo 2 and early Halo 3 days when people were more positive and fun to play with and against. Its a sad reality that I hope will one day change. We are all in this world together, why dont we be civil to one another and enjoy what time we have on this earth. Sorry for the rant but it is making me sad to see whats happening.

> I calmly tried to ask this kid why he was so mad and why he took this game so seriously.

You probably didn’t mean it like this, but he probably took it as, “Lol y u mad bro?”

Generally, when people flip out like that, it’s best to just mute them immediately without responding. I agree that it sucks that that has to be done, though. :\

> We are all in this world together, why dont we be civil to one another and enjoy what time we have on this earth.

I am mad at the world.

When did we go from this:

To this?

no mics are a result of no ranks

you only need to communicate to max your odds of winning