Dear "competitive" community

watch this

this explains everything

I’m sure they’ve already seen this video before.

Was HCE a competitive game?

Hell -Yoinking!- yes. Incredibly.

And that’s the irony of the situation. What the competitive players want in most instances will also make the game fun for casual players. HCE was the most fun game for everyone.

It’s not a coincidence that reach had the least competitive merit out of all the games and was also the least popular halo game among the casual masses.

Such a skewed opinion.

halo is the balance between casual and competitive

The problem most of you have is you fail to understand that MLG doesn’t even want MLG settings to exist. What they want, and what everyone should want is a game that is FUN for EVERYONE.

All competitive players want is a game that is CONSISTENT and FAST.

And you know what? That’s what casual players want to.

Go back and play some HCE, then H2, then H3 and then reach. You’ll notice that the games just get slower and slower and slower and they lose that crisp, consistent feel.

All we see with H4 is additions that continue to make the game slower and inconsistent. That’s why you see complaints.

> The problem most of you have is you fail to understand that MLG doesn’t even want MLG settings to exist. What they want, and what everyone should want is a game that is FUN for EVERYONE.
>
> All competitive players want is a game that is CONSISTENT and FAST.
>
> And you know what? That’s what casual players want to.
>
> Go back and play some HCE, then H2, then H3 and then reach. You’ll notice that the games just get slower and slower and slower and they lose that crisp, consistent feel.
>
> All we see with H4 is additions that continue to make the game slower and inconsistent. That’s why you see complaints.

The way you are wording this makes it sound like you are the competitive type, yes?

Well I’m not one to speak for casuals, but I think they have made it clear that they don’t care about how fast or slow paced a game is, or if it is consistent or not, they just care about having fun, sure, you mentioned that, but please don’t try to pull your competitive opinion in front of the casuals and force it on them.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

People also need to stop putting the devs on pedestals. Im sorry to say but video game developer is far from the pinnacle of our society. Im pretty sure some of the members of the community who are doctors and lawyers and astrophysicists would be a hell of a lot better game devs than what 343 has right now if they had chosen to pursue that profession.

lol

I’ve already seen it and I know Greenskull. The bottom line is this: You cannot make a casual game competitive, but you can make a competitive game casual.

Look at all the major competitive games in the past decade:

Starcraft 1+2
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Tekken 1-6
Halo 2+3
Counterstrike
Smash Brothers Brawl
Quake Series

All of these games have one thing in common: Incentive to win. There is a reason to win games against other players - because of the ranking system.

If you solely cater to the causal crows in Halo 4 and give the “competitive community” thrown in the corner with ONE ranked playlist, you’re just going to end up with another Reach. Players will stop playing the game. If you have incentive to win games and make ranks “mean something”, the casual fans who don’t care about their rank don’t have to. Why not include BOTH competitive and casual with a competitive mindset? All these top games have been doing it for the past decade and the formula works perfectly.

You guys sit and wonder why people are just so arrogant in matchmaking. Why players DON’T go for the objective. It’s because they don’t have to. They don’t need to in order to rank up. Meanwhile, they’re just screwing around at their base doing nothing while you are dying endless times trying to score. You will end up with fairer matchmaking, less team killing, AFKS and more. It’s just part of the formula.

The game ends and regardless of who won or lost - EVERYONE gets credits and ranks up. If casuals don’t care about their rank, why would they care about winning? It separates the two categories and makes everyone happy.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

There have been multiple debates about the video - ultimately confirming that his opinion is biased, clouded by ignorance, and he generalizes an entire community.

All of that is 100% true.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

> > The problem most of you have is you fail to understand that MLG doesn’t even want MLG settings to exist. What they want, and what everyone should want is a game that is FUN for EVERYONE.
> >
> > All competitive players want is a game that is CONSISTENT and FAST.
> >
> > And you know what? That’s what casual players want to.
> >
> > Go back and play some HCE, then H2, then H3 and then reach. You’ll notice that the games just get slower and slower and slower and they lose that crisp, consistent feel.
> >
> > All we see with H4 is additions that continue to make the game slower and inconsistent. That’s why you see complaints.
>
> The way you are wording this makes it sound like you are the competitive type, yes?
>
> Well I’m not one to speak for casuals, but I think they have made it clear that they don’t care about how fast or slow paced a game is, or if it is consistent or not, they just care about having fun, sure, you mentioned that, but please don’t try to pull your competitive opinion in front of the casuals and force it on them.

Im a good player who understands the game but im not particularly competitive, no.

Casual players do care. They may not be able to articulate why they enjoy or do not enjoy a game but there still is a reason why.

It’s not hard to look at games and see the ones that are on top are always games that work consistently and are fast paced.

>

CoD works consistantly …?

lol no, every time i play it the outcomes are practically random, 1 minute i can kill a guy the next minute hes invincible …

> This video is so completely out of touch with the reality of the situation with competitive Halo and its community that I have to assume he just made this to stir the pot/get views.
>
> The competitive community is not frothing at the mouth because we think Halo should conform to our views. We’re pissed off because Halo has gone in a direction that has COMPLETELY neglected us and - whether or not the casual community realizes and/or cares - directly affected the capacity for the Halo series to actually play in a balanced way, whether or not you’re playing at a tournament or just -Yoink- around on XBL.
>
> Reach was so big and busy and bloated with -Yoink- that nobody who was a casual player of Halo would ever be able to put it under a microscope and say, “hey, this really isn’t fair the way this plays out.” And I think that speaks volumes about how much the casual Halo community actually cares about the actual functional characteristics of any Halo game.
>
> Casual Halo players do not give a -Yoink- how many shots it takes to kill someone. They don’t care about whether or not a gun has spread, or bloom, or recoil. They don’t care about movement speed, or jump height. They don’t care whether or not their starting weapon fits the concept of a “utility” weapon (they got along just fine with the SMG in H2, now didn’t they), they don’t care about the state of the netcode.
>
> But do you know what that means? They’re not going to care if we lobbied for a 3sk DMR. They didn’t care that we removed bloom from Reach. They wouldn’t care about changes to FOV, they don’t care about maps encouraging close-to-medium range combat most of the time.
>
> THEY DON’T CARE.
>
> Right now, the competitive community is scraping at 343’s doorstep trying just to get the options to CHANGE some of the stuff they’re putting in. That’s all we get to look forward to, taking all this nonsense out. And the casual community has the BALLS to claim that we are being unreasonable?
>
> This is the reality of the situation:
>
> THE CHANGES THAT THE COMPETITIVE HALO COMMUNITY WOULD MAKE TO THE ACTUAL MECHANICAL SUBSTANCE OF HALO GAMES WOULD IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM HAMPER THE CASUAL EXPERIENCE.
>
> That is the straight truth.

- CursedLemon

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

> > ]
> > It’s not hard to look at games and see the ones that are on top are always games that work consistently and are fast paced.
>
> CoD works consistantly …?
>
> lol no, every time i play it the outcomes are practically random, 1 minute i can kill a guy the next minute hes invincible …

COD works very consistently.

Your bullets go where you shoot. Your guy responds to your inputs. People die when you shoot them.

> > > The problem most of you have is you fail to understand that MLG doesn’t even want MLG settings to exist. What they want, and what everyone should want is a game that is FUN for EVERYONE.
> > >
> > > All competitive players want is a game that is CONSISTENT and FAST.
> > >
> > > And you know what? That’s what casual players want to.
> > >
> > > Go back and play some HCE, then H2, then H3 and then reach. You’ll notice that the games just get slower and slower and slower and they lose that crisp, consistent feel.
> > >
> > > All we see with H4 is additions that continue to make the game slower and inconsistent. That’s why you see complaints.
> >
> > The way you are wording this makes it sound like you are the competitive type, yes?
> >
> > Well I’m not one to speak for casuals, but I think they have made it clear that they don’t care about how fast or slow paced a game is, or if it is consistent or not, they just care about having fun, sure, you mentioned that, but please don’t try to pull your competitive opinion in front of the casuals and force it on them.
>
> Im a good player who understands the game but im not particularly competitive, no.
>
> Casual players do care. They may not be able to articulate why they enjoy or do not enjoy a game but there still is a reason why.
>
> It’s not hard to look at games and see the ones that are on top are always games that work consistently and are fast paced.

To be perfectly honest, the Call of Duty games are the most hacked & bugged games, I’m not hating of them for being on top, but that is the truth, they remain on top even with these problems, you can’t call the reason for them being on top consistent.

As far as I can see, you are speaking for yourself here, not the casual community.

I somewhat agree with what the video talks about, but I swear, nobody understands the meaning of the word ‘competitive’. People use this word in a totally incorrect context.

The very nature of the game is ‘competitive’ by the simple fact that opposing teams / players ‘compete’ for a win/loss game result. Bloom, armor ability, Halo3 equipment, etc., etc., might produce undesirable game play, but they do not have any impact on the game being ‘competitive’.

As for the rubix cube… you want to start with a cross. Its the very first step to solving it.

> > > > The problem most of you have is you fail to understand that MLG doesn’t even want MLG settings to exist. What they want, and what everyone should want is a game that is FUN for EVERYONE.
> > > >
> > > > All competitive players want is a game that is CONSISTENT and FAST.
> > > >
> > > > And you know what? That’s what casual players want to.
> > > >
> > > > Go back and play some HCE, then H2, then H3 and then reach. You’ll notice that the games just get slower and slower and slower and they lose that crisp, consistent feel.
> > > >
> > > > All we see with H4 is additions that continue to make the game slower and inconsistent. That’s why you see complaints.
> > >
> > > The way you are wording this makes it sound like you are the competitive type, yes?
> > >
> > > Well I’m not one to speak for casuals, but I think they have made it clear that they don’t care about how fast or slow paced a game is, or if it is consistent or not, they just care about having fun, sure, you mentioned that, but please don’t try to pull your competitive opinion in front of the casuals and force it on them.
> >
> > Im a good player who understands the game but im not particularly competitive, no.
> >
> > Casual players do care. They may not be able to articulate why they enjoy or do not enjoy a game but there still is a reason why.
> >
> > It’s not hard to look at games and see the ones that are on top are always games that work consistently and are fast paced.
>
> To be perfectly honest, the Call of Duty games are the most hacked & bugged games, I’m not hating of them for being on top, but that is the truth, they remain on top even with these problems, you can’t call the reason for them being on top consistent.
>
> As far as I can see, you are speaking for yourself here, not the casual community.

No, it just sounds like you need to play more games lol.

>

I play both Halo 3, Reach, Call of Duty 4, MW2 & MW3 on a common basis, mainly Halo: Reach & MW3, they are both great games, I play more than enough games to realise that you are shoving out your opinion and not a fact.

>

You just need to stop my friend, Little Moa more right thin he is wrong.