Dear 343, the subject of DLC

Dear 343,

I don’t speak on behalf of the community, but I would like to hear what they think about Halo5 DLC.

My personal opinion is, we know there is going to be DLC (as there have been Map Packs since Halo 2) but just please 343, don’t announce them before the game is released.

The current hype & excitement surrounding this game is getting bigger every day & we’ve still got 6 months to go, please don’t de-rail the hype train it by announcing DLC plans before we’ve even bought/played the main game.

Arkham Knight is the latest game to announce a DLC Season Pass before the game has been released. As a result, they have received justifiable negative publicity & fan feedback. Far Cry 4, Evolve & Battlefield Hardline have all suffered the same fate in recent months.
I don’t want to see Halo 5 receive a similar backlash from the fans.

• I know there will be DLC
  • I’m all for Halo 5 DLC
  • I will probably buy all new Map Packs on Day One of release
  • I would love some side story campaign DLC
  • But I don’t want to know about it, until after the game has released!

After the disastrous MCC launch, a combination of the BETA & it’s feedback/changes, #HuntTheTruth & this amazing puzzle poster 343 is slowly winning the community back, please don’t undo that hard work with an unnecessary early DLC announcement.

That’s just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

I honestly don’t mind DLC, as long as its not ridiculously priced im good.

I think the OP isn’t speaking about the price of DLC, just about when it’s announced. It’s sketchy to announce DLC for a game before the game is released. There is good advice in this topic, 343i!

> 2533274890014203;2:
> I honestly don’t mind DLC, as long as its not ridiculously priced im good.

I think DLC needs to become free after a period of time. Halo 2’s DLC system was perfect.

^agreed… plus i really think it would be awesome to throw in some story dlc… kinda like what they did with spartan ops

They probably won’t do story DLC and they definitely won’t make DLC free after a while.

However, I would like them to do what they did with Forza Horizon 2. Announce the DLC the day before and release the day after. It keeps the element of surprise and it will still sell!

Don’t announce a season pass in September when the game comes out in October.

> 2533274795233660;6:
> However, I would like them to do what they did with Forza Horizon 2. Announce the DLC the day before and release the day after. It keeps the element of surprise and it will still sell!
>
> Don’t announce a season pass in September when the game comes out in October.

Exactly.

If the game’s as great as we hope it’s going to be, I think we’d all want more content & be happy to pay for more.

We just don’t want to know that it was pre-planned, or even completed before October & could potentially have been in the game at launch.

I bought the DLC Season pass in Halo4. I Will do it again For Halo 5.

> 2533274800417822;1:
> Dear 343,
>
> I don’t speak on behalf of the community, but I would like to hear what they think about Halo5 DLC.
>
> My personal opinion is, we know there is going to be DLC (as there have been Map Packs since Halo 2) but just please 343, don’t announce them before the game is released.
>
> The current hype & excitement surrounding this game is getting bigger every day & we’ve still got 6 months to go, please don’t de-rail the hype train it by announcing DLC plans before we’ve even bought/played the main game.
>
> Arkham Knight is the latest game to announce a DLC Season Pass before the game has been released. As a result, they have received justifiable negative publicity & fan feedback. Far Cry 4, Evolve & Battlefield Hardline have all suffered the same fate in recent months.
> I don’t want to see Halo 5 receive a similar backlash from the fans.
>
> * I know there will be DLC
> * I’m all for Halo 5 DLC
> * I will probably buy all new Map Packs on Day One of release
> * I would love some side story campaign DLC
> * But I don’t want to know about it, until after the game has released!
>
> After the disastrous MCC launch, a combination of the BETA & it’s feedback/changes, #HuntTheTruth & this amazing puzzle poster 343 is slowly winning the community back, please don’t undo that hard work with an unnecessary early DLC announcement.
>
> That’s just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

I totally agree

> 2533274800417822;1:
> Dear 343,
>
> I don’t speak on behalf of the community, but I would like to hear what they think about Halo5 DLC.
>
> My personal opinion is, we know there is going to be DLC (as there have been Map Packs since Halo 2) but just please 343, don’t announce them before the game is released.
>
> The current hype & excitement surrounding this game is getting bigger every day & we’ve still got 6 months to go, please don’t de-rail the hype train it by announcing DLC plans before we’ve even bought/played the main game.
>
> Arkham Knight is the latest game to announce a DLC Season Pass before the game has been released. As a result, they have received justifiable negative publicity & fan feedback. Far Cry 4, Evolve & Battlefield Hardline have all suffered the same fate in recent months.
> I don’t want to see Halo 5 receive a similar backlash from the fans.
>
> * I know there will be DLC
> * I’m all for Halo 5 DLC
> * I will probably buy all new Map Packs on Day One of release
> * I would love some side story campaign DLC
> * But I don’t want to know about it, until after the game has released!
>
> After the disastrous MCC launch, a combination of the BETA & it’s feedback/changes, #HuntTheTruth & this amazing puzzle poster 343 is slowly winning the community back, please don’t undo that hard work with an unnecessary early DLC announcement.
>
> That’s just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

I agree with your message, we need them to focus the advertising on the game, not on what the game might get later on.

It’s hard not to like for Reach and Halo 4 Ltd box sets the DLC came free with them, but I understand what your saying don’t take us away from the main game. And its like saying hey we’ve made more maps which we could of put in the game from day one, but what were going to do is charge you for them.

The problem with this idea is that the Season Pass DLC is going to be included with at least the Limited Collector’s Edition, and probably the Limited Edition as well. So they are going to have to announce it before release so people know what they’re paying for in terms of the more expensive editions of the game.

I have no problem with them announcing a season pass for Halo 5 before release. It’s 2015, all major games have them, everyone knows there’s going to be DLC so it shouldn’t anger any sane, rationale, person at this point. Now if they start announcing detailed DLC story or map pack plans that sounds like cut content or whatever before release, ok, then we have an issue.

But are you guys really getting bent out of shape over the possible announcement of a season pass DLC or something? No offense but isn’t that just ridiculous petty and kinda silly?

“Well, I know there’s going to be DLC and I’m ok with that but I don’t want to hear it. If so, I’m gonna throw a tantrum and make a thread that gets 3000 upvotes on /r/gaming.”

C’mon.

> 2533274807600310;5:
> ^agreed… plus i really think it would be awesome to throw in some story dlc… kinda like what they did with spartan ops

Lol but donf make us pay for a full campain lol

It’s gonna get revealed when the contents of the LE and CE are announced. It inevitable that they contain the season pass soo…

As soon as we found out there’s a LE is when we found out there was dlc. Do you want them to not tell us what’s in the special editions? I understand what you’re saying but it’s unrealistic for a popular game like Halo, so prepare for disappointment.

> 2533274800197828;12:
> I have no problem with them announcing a season pass for Halo 5 before release. It’s 2015, all major games have them, everyone knows there’s going to be DLC so it shouldn’t anger any sane, rationale, person at this point. Now if they start announcing detailed DLC story or map pack plans that sounds like cut content or whatever before release, ok, then we have an issue.
>
> But are you guys really getting bent out of shape over the possible announcement of a season pass DLC or something? No offense but isn’t that just ridiculous petty and kinda silly?
>
> “Well, I know there’s going to be DLC and I’m ok with that but I don’t want to hear it. If so, I’m gonna throw a tantrum and make a thread that gets 3000 upvotes on /r/gaming.”
>
> C’mon.

My thought process: “Arkham Knight has received a lot negative criticism which would have been easily avoided if they announced the DLC pack after release, especially priced at $40, I hope Halo doesn’t make the same mistake”

Definitely not getting bent out of shape about it :slight_smile:

You make a very valid point about the LE & CE including the Map Packs though, and people wanting to know what’s included. However, Halo 4 handled this perfectly:

War Games Map Pack Access – The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps – three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE. (A detailed release schedule for the map packs will be announced at a later time)

People buying the LE & CE knew they were getting DLC included.
For those that bought standard editions, no pricing structure & no precise details which would suggest they’ve already created the content.