Dead simple way to make Halo 5 attractive 343

Please read, Halo nation, I hope you guys agree. It goes without saying that 343 has a lot of pressure to make Halo 5 Guardians live up to the high expectations the halo community has for it. I could go on about gameplay, storyline, whatever, but there is one thing that should not be overlooked. If 343 wants to keep/bring back the old Halo fans from Halo 1, 2, and 3, there needs to be that element that brings the feel of original Halo – the music. The soundtrack is just as important to the franchise as the storyline and multiplayer. If you YouTube ANY halo soundtrack video, just read the comments and you’ll see everyone talking about how the music reminds them of the great times they had playing Halo. The soundtrack to Halo is legendary. Marty O’donnell was released from Bungie this past April. PICK HIM UP 343 (but also keep Neil Davidge). This may sound so nitpicky, but I absolutely guarantee that if you have him compose music for Halo 5, the reception will be through the roof.

Marty O’donnell is as much a part of Halo as the voice of Master Chief, Steve Downes.

This is not to say Neil Davidge did not do well on Halo 4. I think both Neil and Marty would make a great team and could produce one of the best soundtracks ever made. All I’m saying is 343 needs Marty O’donnell to help propel Halo into the history books and help revive the Halo vibe for those who feel the franchise lost it. This is the first post I’ve ever made on any forum ever. But I care too much about this franchise to not speak up. I believe that 343 will do a great job with Halo 5 (as long as they increase competitiveness in matchmaking but that’s a different topic) and wish them the best of luck. I’m not sure how these topics get seen or exposed, but if you agree with what I’m saying, like it, share it or something so that this post can gain exposure! :slight_smile:

There’s nothing about this post I can disagree with. Halo’s soundtrack has always been iconic, but halo 4 just didn’t have the same epic feel to it. No doubt Neil is a talented composer, but Marty has what it takes to make it memorable.

This far into development, they already have a composer working on the music.

While it would be great, it wouldnt be good. The reclaimer trilogy needs to have its distinct musical style.

> If 343 wants to keep/bring back the old Halo fans from Halo 1, 2, and 3

What about fans from ODST and Reach?

Halo doesn’t work because of just music. A lot goes into making a game. If pointing to Halo 4 the music wouldn’t be the first thing I’d complain about.

Like I said there is plenty of things I could bring up, but music is one of the most important whether people realize it or not. People may not think it’s very important, but it seriously dictates the entire mood of the game.

And there is more than a year til Halo 5’s release, so there is plenty of time to work on a soundtrack. Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach all were composed by O’donnell and yet they all had a very distinct feel to them.

One problem- what if Marty doesn’t want to do more Halo?

> This far into development, they already have a composer working on the music.

This^

The music in the semi-Halo 5 trailer was composed by Kazuma Jinnouchi. The rest of Halo 5’s score is probably already in production.

> One problem- what if Marty doesn’t want to do more Halo?

You do know that hiring someone isn’t forcing them into a job without a choice, right?

While that’s true, we still have about a year and a half before the game is released. That’s plenty of time for them to pick up a new composer to add some songs, if need be.

Personally, I’m on the fence with this one. I love Marty’s work to death, and he is an exceptional composer that has really defined Halo. However, Kazuma Jinnouchi and Neil Davidge did some excellent work with Halo 4’s music, despite its poor implementation into the game itself.

I would be happy if Marty was to help out with Halo 5, as I feel that some of the original music and the feel it gives needs to return. However, if the new composers re-used some of Marty’s work and put their own twist on it, I would be equally as happy.

Halo 4 was more miss than hit with the music. I loved Revival, 117, Arrival, and Green & Blue. The only remix I liked was that of Revival.

I loved Martys work, but in all honesty the music wasn’t my concern. Halo has a lot of other issues and the music from Halo 4 was hit and miss. Gameplay comes first then the music in my eyes.

Doesn’t the composing usually come close to the finishing of the campaign. If the composer can’t see the scenes he is setting a mood for, how does he really know what vibe to give off.

I have all the soundtracks from all Halo games (except Spartan Assault because I don’t know if that one is available) in a single playlist. I play this list at work when I get to my busy period. The songs are played randomly rather than in order. The difference between Halo 4’s music and all the rest is significant. Even the Halo Wars soundtrack, although stylistically different, incorporates more essential Halo themes. The ODST and Reach soundtracks, although again stylistically different, still retain the essence of the trilogy soundtracks. In short, the Halo 4 soundtrack is the only one that doesn’t sound like a Halo soundtrack. Maybe that was the goal, don’t know, but it seems to me that if there’s going to be anything that preserves a link to the past games, it’s the music. Marty has already demonstrated that you can change the style without sacrificing the vibe. He should at least be consulted.

Not gonna lie I was actually surprised when listening to SOME of the tracks of Halo 4, but honestly the music presented gave Halo 4 a Star Wars feel to it. It was implemented awfully but whoever composed Spartan Assault yes yes and yes get him.

> I loved Martys work, but in all honesty the music wasn’t my concern. Halo has a lot of other issues and the music from Halo 4 was hit and miss. Gameplay comes first then the music in my eyes.

Aye, because good music is set through gameplay, not vice versa.

I’m afraid you’re missing the point. Of course gameplay is important, and should always come first in my view as well, I totally agree with you. But this thread is to bring up what is overlooked. Music is the tone and the atmosphere. The soundtrack is absolutely crucial because it has the ability to subconsciously sway our perception of a work of art. Eventually, it encapsulates the memories. Although bringing Marty back would only be recovering a piece of the puzzle that was lost, it would help complete the picture in more ways than one.

Bring Marty back, keep Halo 4’s architecture but bring back 3’s and Reach’s art style for characters, and either redesign the Storm Rifle or bring back the Plasma Rifle, and you could have a damn fine Halo game.

Of course, the topic is just Marty’s music. In that case, I agree 100%. Halo 4’s soundtrack just wasn’t what it could’ve been.

> Bring Marty back, keep Halo 4’s architecture but bring back 3’s and Reach’s art style for characters, and either redesign the Storm Rifle or bring back the Plasma Rifle, and you could have a damn fine Halo game.
>
> Of course, the topic is just Marty’s music. In that case, I agree 100%. Halo 4’s soundtrack just wasn’t what it could’ve been.

What’s wrong with Halo 4s art style? I thought it looked better than all of the previous Halo games.

> > This far into development, they already have a composer working on the music.
>
> Doesn’t the composing usually come close to the finishing of the campaign. If the composer can’t see the scenes he is setting a mood for, how does he really know what vibe to give off.

Well that depends. If a composer choose to write the music with the production of the game, like Marty/Mike did for most of their Halo they worked on, it might be to late.

Or a composer can write the music separate at the end of the Campaign completion, which is what Neil seemed to do.