Damn good soundtrack.

Hey guys! I gotta say, the soundtrack for Halo 4 is amazing. Although I don’t think it’s as good as Marty’s, it’s still very good. I have a few favorite tracks on the OST album. Did any of you like it? Which parts or songs?
Here’s my favorite I think, it felt so epic battling the Prometheans to this song getting ready to face the Didact.
Arrival Halo 4 OST, Favorite track!

I agree. I felt like such a BA while that song was playing.

Is it just me, or did the Halo 4 composer model each level’s music after a different movie? So far I’ve noticed Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, and Bond.

I made a thread about this the other day I love the soundtrack.

The music is good, but they didn’t use anything that even sounded like the Halo theme.

Yes, I KNOW it’s a new game, I GET they wanted ‘their own style’…but that musical theme was part of what identified Halo as Halo. They could have done their own unique variant of it, but scrubbing it entirely for a good-but-also-generic sci-fi soundtrack was NOT the answer, IMO.

I agree, I think Marty’s will always be the classic Halo sound, nothing will ever compare, but certain tracks on this soundtrack are fantastic. “117” is the perfect song for the Broadsword flight.

(49:26)

I have to disagree, I can’t think of a single memorable song.

> The music is good, but they didn’t use anything that even sounded like the Halo theme.
>
> Yes, I KNOW it’s a new game, I GET they wanted ‘their own style’…but that musical theme was part of what identified Halo as Halo. They could have done their own unique variant of it, but scrubbing it entirely for a good-but-also-generic sci-fi soundtrack was NOT the answer, IMO.

The new direction which it was taken fits the game more appropriately. I was at a loss for as to why they didn’t include some subtle homages to the previous soundtracks at first, too.

If you listen to 117 carefully, towards the climax there is a reprise of the chord progression from the original theme and it is even more satisfying to hear after the whole soundtrack building up to it.

There are 3 instances that classic Halo themes are heard, played, hell Never Forget is played at the end of the game, and 117 track is a great hint of classic Halo themes.

The soundtrack definitely fit this games more frantic, desperate, approach. Any part including the Didact and his actions had a epic feel to it and I love the songs revolving around the Prometheans, Forerunners, in general.

Revival, Nemesis, definately have a very epic feel to them and definately fit the mood just right, I couldnt imagine a classic Halo theme that would give the same effect as they did for the Didact.

I love the Halo 4 soundtrack, Goosebump material.

Amen to that, Arival makes ya feel like a hero, and Revival…it sounds, so evil…yet pelasnt to my ears.

I love the Soundtrack but I hated how you could barely hear it during the campaign! (which is pretty much the only time you get to hear most of Neil’s work in-game)

After finishing the campaign, I seriously couldn’t recall any music. When I listen to the Halo 4 Soundtrack, it’s awesome. 343 really should give us the option to turn up the volume of the music during the campaign. Because if not, they are seriously preventing the campaign from reaching it’s full potential. Neil’s music is such good work, that is not put to good use.

This^ x100

Love listening to the ost. The remix one is pretty good as well!

> Is it just me, or did the Halo 4 composer model each level’s music after a different movie? So far I’ve noticed Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, and Bond.

The first 3 notes of “Awakening” (the first song on the soundtrack) are the same first 3 notes to Lord of the Rings.

> The music is good, but they didn’t use anything that even sounded like the Halo theme.

Already mentioned, but the “117” track has the traditional halo chord progression near the climax. And many songs borrow themes from all the other games. The chords used as the very introduction to the Reach campaign is included in at least 2 tracks I can remember hearing. The 5 note high pitch piano part that marty added to the halo theme for halo 3 (sorry if you don’t know what I’m talking about but I don’t have youtube access currently so I can’t provide an example) is included in a bunch of songs on the OST in various augmented forms.

> Here’s my favorite I think, it felt so epic battling the Prometheans to this song getting ready to face the Didact.
> Arrival Halo 4 OST, Favorite track!

That was my favorite moment in the campaign, and it was the first/only point where I actually caught myself not paying attention to the action and just admiring how awesome the music was for the situation. I had that tune stuck in my head for a couple days. Its not my favorite on the OST though, but it is my favorite moment in the game.

Another good moment was at the ending of the level Requiem when the eerie theme from “Nemesis” plays.

But my very favorite track on the OST is “Solace”. It starts so quiet and haunting, and grows to such an emotional and unexpected climatic moment, and I love/hate how the last note of the piece is just left hanging there without the resolution. Maybe I’m just a big softie, but that piece is so moving and emotional. Almost brought me to tears the first time I listened to it. And this, every time:

> Goosebump material

I do agree that at seems like nothing in the soundtrack has that “This is what will be the identifying sound of the franchise for the next 10 years” feel to it. I don’t know if the original halo theme became that overnight or not. Maybe the new sound just needs time to be ingrained in the franchise. Or maybe its just not going to be iconic in the same way. But as a whole, its still an amazing soundtrack, and in some ways I consider it to be the best yet, even if if won’t end up being the iconic identifying sound of the franchise.

I absolutely love this soundtrack. I think one part of the huge musical change may be copyright laws, etc. I do however love the tie with “Never Forget” at the end. I can’t think of a more perfect song to end this game. My favorite track has to be “117”. I think this song perfectly portrays most aspects of this game, and even the games before.

I agree. It doesn’t quite have that Marty feel, but it’s outstanding in it’s own way. In some ways…SOME ways it’s better.