Cutter Leader Point changes I'd like to see

Over the past bujillion years 343 have been working on our latest balance change. Hopefully UNSC will be brought closer to viability, but my worry is that Cutter is currently so far ahead of the rest of the UNSC (Arguably the fourth best leader, but Decimus Teleport and Shield Gens might still edge it) that when they’re all brought in line Cutter may become OP. Provided the early game is fixed and balanced - as indicated in the preview of the patch notes - and marines beat choppers, choppers beat rabbits and rabbits beat marines, Cutter shouldn’t still have crazy early game dominance over all other UNSC because rabbits will beat raid marines. Even so, I think his current (easy choice) leader power order needs to be rectified to make Cutter a little less mindless and therefore a little less OP.

Just so we’re all agreed on the current mindless point spending order - Raid, Raid 2, ODST drop (let your marines die by rushing a base once you have one or two ODST squads on the field - they’re too slow), Cyclops drop, ODST Assault Group (let your tank die - again too slow), Close Air support. Then the choices begin. ODST mines shrek buildings, cyclopses below nightingales tank crazy damage and the leader powers drop super powered veteran units. You get left with a crazy fast moving unit comp of Cyclopses, nightingales, wolverines and ODST (possibly snipers if you’re in a 1v1 vs cutter) where nightingales are the slowest moving unit and ODST mines strip bases in seconds.

I’d like to see the first leader point be a choice between battle hardened and lotus mines (lotus mines receiving a buff where their detection radius is smaller - possible health increase - but, most importantly, like ODST mines they no longer get auto-targeted by units so anyone that is using ‘all units’ and sending them across the map without looking gets punished). This is a difficult decision, having mines that early lets you pepper the map with mines but battle hardened - which also needs buffing - that early means that all of your units that you build get the benefit of faster veterancy.

Raid/Restoration drones is then also a more difficult decision because by this time in the game node capture isn’t such a big issue and you could already be looking at transitioning out of your starting infantry into vehicles or air where raid wouldn’t be useful.

ODST/Archer missiles is a cool choice anyway because archer missiles aren’t awful but with Raid 2 you don’t have a choice - you HAVE to pick ODST drop. If the choice with your third leader point is now ODST/Raid 2/Archer missiles it becomes a difficult choice again.

This completely changes where the priorities are for the fourth, fifth and sixth leader points because cyclops drop isn’t as crazy good if you’ve opted out of getting the raid points and if you’ve gone for Raid 2 you need to prioritise ODST over cyclops anyway.

Cutter is only frequently used because of how easy he is to play, this is evidenced by Metaloid and Savior rinsing everyone in the 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments without a single UNSC leader used by them or winning a single game (not one banshee built either by the way but that’s a different discussion…).

Would be interested to hear everyone else’s opinions (no matter how wrong you are).

Personally, I don’t think Cutter’s powers should be changed, but the powers for other leaders should be buffed.

With buffs coming in for Warthogs and Kodiaks I can see leaders like Forge and Isabel having a better time against Cuttter by being a slow moving but impenetrable rock.

I’d much rather see how this patch works out before I can get behind changes to perhaps the most balanced leader in this game.

Cutter is # 1 leader, 6 of top 10 cutter. Close air support!!! Needs no buffs…

> 2533274804660577;3:
> Cutter is # 1 leader, 6 of top 10 cutter. Close air support!!! Needs no buffs…

Cutter definitely isn’t number one leader but he is mindless (which is why so many people use him). Most of the best players in the world don’t play often enough at the moment for the leaderboard rankings to be gospel. Blame the ways in which this game is worse that HW1 for the low numbers of top tier players.

> 2533274927740213;2:
> Personally, I don’t think Cutter’s powers should be changed, but the powers for other leaders should be buffed.
>
> With buffs coming in for Warthogs and Kodiaks I can see leaders like Forge and Isabel having a better time against Cuttter by being a slow moving but impenetrable rock.
>
> I’d much rather see how this patch works out before I can get behind changes to perhaps the most balanced leader in this game.

I’m curious as to why you think he’s the most balanced leader? I don’t want his abilities to be nerfed, just moved because Raid is far too early to be fair. His early game infantry dominates against other UNSC at the moment and once he’s won the early game he’s usually won the game.

> 2533274805684332;5:
> > 2533274927740213;2:
> > Personally, I don’t think Cutter’s powers should be changed, but the powers for other leaders should be buffed.
> >
> > With buffs coming in for Warthogs and Kodiaks I can see leaders like Forge and Isabel having a better time against Cuttter by being a slow moving but impenetrable rock.
> >
> > I’d much rather see how this patch works out before I can get behind changes to perhaps the most balanced leader in this game.
>
> I’m curious as to why you think he’s the most balanced leader? I don’t want his abilities to be nerfed, just moved because Raid is far too early to be fair. His early game infantry dominates against other UNSC at the moment and once he’s won the early game he’s usually won the game.

I feel like he’s the most balanced leader because he has a fair amount of damage leader powers, drops, and supportive leader powers. He can be played by a low level player pretty well, but also leaves plenty of room to master.

That said, in regards to moving raid around or adjusting it I think buffs to Jackrabbits will make it so he doesn’t dominate early game versus other UNSC. If that’s balanced, buffs to T2 vehicles or air for UNSC will make it so they can still compete with him mid and late game.

> 2533274805684332;1:
> Over the past bujillion years 343 have been working on our latest balance change. Hopefully UNSC will be brought closer to viability, but my worry is that Cutter is currently so far ahead of the rest of the UNSC (Arguably the fourth best leader, but Decimus Teleport and Shield Gens might still edge it) that when they’re all brought in line Cutter may become OP. Provided the early game is fixed and balanced - as indicated in the preview of the patch notes - and marines beat choppers, choppers beat rabbits and rabbits beat marines, Cutter shouldn’t still have crazy early game dominance over all other UNSC because rabbits will beat raid marines. Even so, I think his current (easy choice) leader power order needs to be rectified to make Cutter a little less mindless and therefore a little less OP.
>
> Just so we’re all agreed on the current mindless point spending order - Raid, Raid 2, ODST drop (let your marines die by rushing a base once you have one or two ODST squads on the field - they’re too slow), Cyclops drop, ODST Assault Group (let your tank die - again too slow), Close Air support. Then the choices begin. ODST mines shrek buildings, cyclopses below nightingales tank crazy damage and the leader powers drop super powered veteran units. You get left with a crazy fast moving unit comp of Cyclopses, nightingales, wolverines and ODST (possibly snipers if you’re in a 1v1 vs cutter) where nightingales are the slowest moving unit and ODST mines strip bases in seconds.
>
> I’d like to see the first leader point be a choice between battle hardened and lotus mines (lotus mines receiving a buff where their detection radius is smaller - possible health increase - but, most importantly, like ODST mines they no longer get auto-targeted by units so anyone that is using ‘all units’ and sending them across the map without looking gets punished). This is a difficult decision, having mines that early lets you pepper the map with mines but battle hardened - which also needs buffing - that early means that all of your units that you build get the benefit of faster veterancy.
>
> Raid/Restoration drones is then also a more difficult decision because by this time in the game node capture isn’t such a big issue and you could already be looking at transitioning out of your starting infantry into vehicles or air where raid wouldn’t be useful.
>
> ODST/Archer missiles is a cool choice anyway because archer missiles aren’t awful but with Raid 2 you don’t have a choice - you HAVE to pick ODST drop. If the choice with your third leader point is now ODST/Raid 2/Archer missiles it becomes a difficult choice again.
>
> This completely changes where the priorities are for the fourth, fifth and sixth leader points because cyclops drop isn’t as crazy good if you’ve opted out of getting the raid points and if you’ve gone for Raid 2 you need to prioritise ODST over cyclops anyway.
>
> Cutter is only frequently used because of how easy he is to play, this is evidenced by Metaloid and Savior rinsing everyone in the 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments without a single UNSC leader used by them or winning a single game (not one banshee built either by the way but that’s a different discussion…).
>
> Would be interested to hear everyone else’s opinions (no matter how wrong you are).

never thought i would see you post anything on here

> 2533274805684332;5:
> > 2533274927740213;2:
> > Personally, I don’t think Cutter’s powers should be changed, but the powers for other leaders should be buffed.
> >
> > With buffs coming in for Warthogs and Kodiaks I can see leaders like Forge and Isabel having a better time against Cuttter by being a slow moving but impenetrable rock.
> >
> > I’d much rather see how this patch works out before I can get behind changes to perhaps the most balanced leader in this game.
>
> I’m curious as to why you think he’s the most balanced leader? I don’t want his abilities to be nerfed, just moved because Raid is far too early to be fair. His early game infantry dominates against other UNSC at the moment and once he’s won the early game he’s usually won the game.

Why does cutter’s early game infantry dominate other USNC? I find with forge/kinsano vs. cutter I’m able to wipe out any early engagements with cutter players with a steady flamer pump

> 2533274805684332;1:
> Over the past bujillion years 343 have been working on our latest balance change. Hopefully UNSC will be brought closer to viability, but my worry is that Cutter is currently so far ahead of the rest of the UNSC (Arguably the fourth best leader, but Decimus Teleport and Shield Gens might still edge it) that when they’re all brought in line Cutter may become OP. Provided the early game is fixed and balanced - as indicated in the preview of the patch notes - and marines beat choppers, choppers beat rabbits and rabbits beat marines, Cutter shouldn’t still have crazy early game dominance over all other UNSC because rabbits will beat raid marines. Even so, I think his current (easy choice) leader power order needs to be rectified to make Cutter a little less mindless and therefore a little less OP.
>
> Just so we’re all agreed on the current mindless point spending order - Raid, Raid 2, ODST drop (let your marines die by rushing a base once you have one or two ODST squads on the field - they’re too slow), Cyclops drop, ODST Assault Group (let your tank die - again too slow), Close Air support. Then the choices begin. ODST mines shrek buildings, cyclopses below nightingales tank crazy damage and the leader powers drop super powered veteran units. You get left with a crazy fast moving unit comp of Cyclopses, nightingales, wolverines and ODST (possibly snipers if you’re in a 1v1 vs cutter) where nightingales are the slowest moving unit and ODST mines strip bases in seconds.
>
> I’d like to see the first leader point be a choice between battle hardened and lotus mines (lotus mines receiving a buff where their detection radius is smaller - possible health increase - but, most importantly, like ODST mines they no longer get auto-targeted by units so anyone that is using ‘all units’ and sending them across the map without looking gets punished). This is a difficult decision, having mines that early lets you pepper the map with mines but battle hardened - which also needs buffing - that early means that all of your units that you build get the benefit of faster veterancy.
>
> Raid/Restoration drones is then also a more difficult decision because by this time in the game node capture isn’t such a big issue and you could already be looking at transitioning out of your starting infantry into vehicles or air where raid wouldn’t be useful.
>
> ODST/Archer missiles is a cool choice anyway because archer missiles aren’t awful but with Raid 2 you don’t have a choice - you HAVE to pick ODST drop. If the choice with your third leader point is now ODST/Raid 2/Archer missiles it becomes a difficult choice again.
>
> This completely changes where the priorities are for the fourth, fifth and sixth leader points because cyclops drop isn’t as crazy good if you’ve opted out of getting the raid points and if you’ve gone for Raid 2 you need to prioritise ODST over cyclops anyway.
>
> Cutter is only frequently used because of how easy he is to play, this is evidenced by Metaloid and Savior rinsing everyone in the 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments without a single UNSC leader used by them or winning a single game (not one banshee built either by the way but that’s a different discussion…).
>
> Would be interested to hear everyone else’s opinions (no matter how wrong you are).

savage i like it(no matter how wrong you are)
never thought i would see you post anything on here :slight_smile:

> 2535453924159710;8:
> > 2533274805684332;5:
> > > 2533274927740213;2:
> > >
>
> Why does cutter’s early game infantry dominate other USNC? I find with forge/kinsano vs. cutter I’m able to wipe out any early engagements with cutter players with a steady flamer pump

Chances are that that’s more to do with the skill level of the people you’re against mate, Raid marines wipe almost all other early game infantry with frag nades. Having insane movement speed allows Cutter to choose which engagements to be a part of and which to avoid - any good player can use that to allow them the ability to only engage when they’re going to win the fight. The fast node capture speed compounds this by forcing you to spend power to kill him while gaining power quicker than you are gaining power.

Put it this way - if the other player simply matched you by also pumping flamers then they’d win because their infantry is faster and can chase you down if you run away or run away if they’re losing.

> 2533275033721600;9:
> > 2533274805684332;1:
> >
>
> savage i like it(no matter how wrong you are)
> never thought i would see you post anything on here :slight_smile:

Lol thanks man I’m glad you liked it XD

Yeah I haven’t actually posted before but I’ve replied to quite a few posts this week. Mostly scrubs complaining about banshees.

Do you think Cutter is a little mindless and needs more difficult leader point choices? I.E. Raid 2/ODST/Archer

> 2533274805684332;11:
> > 2533275033721600;9:
> > > 2533274805684332;1:
> > >
> >
> > savage i like it(no matter how wrong you are)
> > never thought i would see you post anything on here :slight_smile:
>
> Lol thanks man I’m glad you liked it XD
>
> Yeah I haven’t actually posted before but I’ve replied to quite a few posts this week. Mostly scrubs complaining about banshees.
>
> Do you think Cutter is a little mindless and needs more difficult leader point choices? I.E. Raid 2/ODST/Archer

if anything hes so basic no much work is but into him .hes easy mode for beginners who only spam marines and dont know how to do anything else. as a banish main my word isn’t that conversation worthy. :slight_smile:

> 2533274805684332;10:
> > 2535453924159710;8:
> > > 2533274805684332;5:
> > > > 2533274927740213;2:
> > > >
> >
> > Why does cutter’s early game infantry dominate other USNC? I find with forge/kinsano vs. cutter I’m able to wipe out any early engagements with cutter players with a steady flamer pump
>
> Chances are that that’s more to do with the skill level of the people you’re against mate, Raid marines wipe almost all other early game infantry with frag nades. Having insane movement speed allows Cutter to choose which engagements to be a part of and which to avoid - any good player can use that to allow them the ability to only engage when they’re going to win the fight. The fast node capture speed compounds this by forcing you to spend power to kill him while gaining power quicker than you are gaining power.
>
> Put it this way - if the other player simply matched you by also pumping flamers then they’d win because their infantry is faster and can chase you down if you run away or run away if they’re losing.

I dont agree that hes mindless. As you stated it comes down to the player. There are many times I mix up my leader points with cutter. I dont agree that this leader should be changed, based on the fact solid players can control which engagements to make, and how to fight other infantry. Decimus seems just as mindless. The mindless leader point and build comes down to nothing more then someone getting comfortable with a particular build. If i go Raid 1/Battle Hardened 1/2,Archer Missles1/2/3. Then push cyclops, snipers, marines, nightingales, wolves.

Your gonna have a bad time!! Jk lol. But the mindless build comes down to someone who feels theres only one best way to go about things. And thats wrong. Against a solid team, yes the build order you mentioned seems the most conpetitive. But I dont agree its the only proper way.

Edit: Glad to see your on this

Making both unsc and banished scouts on an even playing field would better balance cutter’s early perks and allow players “worth their salt” to compete in the early game. Buffs to warthogs and other balances will also help.
I think he’s one of the more balanced leaders in the game, although close air support lasts for maybe a little too long, no matter how wrong I am :slight_smile:

Nah. Cutter stands out because the other UNSC with the exception of Kinsano suck. Ander’s needs a buff from head to toe, Isabel pretty much is as good as she’s gonna get, Grizzlies need a buff and Kinsano will be great once again when Jackrabbits get buffed.

One thing that the JR buff doesn’t entail is that Forge will become viable again because of his Rolling Economy…

As of this patch, Cutter should only be played for fun. :slight_smile:

> 2533274805684332;1:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I almost always just raid>Resto>ODST>Cyclopes if choppers or turret>Close air.

Raid 1 is more than enough to out speed pretty much everyone. Once you hit 20/4 with marines and snipes (maybe you have 1-2 ODST left at the end) you have pretty much won the game on anyone not building choppers.

Cutter is good because the speed at which he rush downs people is pretty much unmatched. No one has the ability to map control faster and oppress the enemy. Not since un-nerfed kinsano anyways. He does it all with a 150 supply unit to. Funny part is without it, he doesn’t really have anything else. He’s the sonic of the first 10m of the game.

> 2533274804660577;3:
> Cutter is # 1 leader, 6 of top 10 cutter. Close air support!!! Needs no buffs…

i find what u said funny lol

> 2533274846367343;17:
> > 2533274805684332;1:
> > Over the past bujillion years 343 have been working on our latest balance change. Hopefully UNSC will be brought closer to viability, but my worry is that Cutter is currently so far ahead of the rest of the UNSC (Arguably the fourth best leader, but Decimus Teleport and Shield Gens might still edge it) that when they’re all brought in line Cutter may become OP. Provided the early game is fixed and balanced - as indicated in the preview of the patch notes - and marines beat choppers, choppers beat rabbits and rabbits beat marines, Cutter shouldn’t still have crazy early game dominance over all other UNSC because rabbits will beat raid marines. Even so, I think his current (easy choice) leader power order needs to be rectified to make Cutter a little less mindless and therefore a little less OP.
> >
> > Just so we’re all agreed on the current mindless point spending order - Raid, Raid 2, ODST drop (let your marines die by rushing a base once you have one or two ODST squads on the field - they’re too slow), Cyclops drop, ODST Assault Group (let your tank die - again too slow), Close Air support. Then the choices begin. ODST mines shrek buildings, cyclopses below nightingales tank crazy damage and the leader powers drop super powered veteran units. You get left with a crazy fast moving unit comp of Cyclopses, nightingales, wolverines and ODST (possibly snipers if you’re in a 1v1 vs cutter) where nightingales are the slowest moving unit and ODST mines strip bases in seconds.
> >
> > I’d like to see the first leader point be a choice between battle hardened and lotus mines (lotus mines receiving a buff where their detection radius is smaller - possible health increase - but, most importantly, like ODST mines they no longer get auto-targeted by units so anyone that is using ‘all units’ and sending them across the map without looking gets punished). This is a difficult decision, having mines that early lets you pepper the map with mines but battle hardened - which also needs buffing - that early means that all of your units that you build get the benefit of faster veterancy.
> >
> > Raid/Restoration drones is then also a more difficult decision because by this time in the game node capture isn’t such a big issue and you could already be looking at transitioning out of your starting infantry into vehicles or air where raid wouldn’t be useful.
> >
> > ODST/Archer missiles is a cool choice anyway because archer missiles aren’t awful but with Raid 2 you don’t have a choice - you HAVE to pick ODST drop. If the choice with your third leader point is now ODST/Raid 2/Archer missiles it becomes a difficult choice again.
> >
> > This completely changes where the priorities are for the fourth, fifth and sixth leader points because cyclops drop isn’t as crazy good if you’ve opted out of getting the raid points and if you’ve gone for Raid 2 you need to prioritise ODST over cyclops anyway.
> >
> > Cutter is only frequently used because of how easy he is to play, this is evidenced by Metaloid and Savior rinsing everyone in the 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments without a single UNSC leader used by them or winning a single game (not one banshee built either by the way but that’s a different discussion…).
> >
> > Would be interested to hear everyone else’s opinions (no matter how wrong you are).
>
> I almost always just raid>Resto>ODST>Cyclopes if choppers or turret>Close air.
>
> Raid 1 is more than enough to out speed pretty much everyone. Once you hit 20/4 with marines and snipes (maybe you have 1-2 ODST left at the end) you have pretty much won the game on anyone not building choppers.
>
> Cutter is good because the speed at which he rush downs people is pretty much unmatched. No one has the ability to map control faster and oppress the enemy. Not since un-nerfed kinsano anyways. He does it all with a 150 supply unit to. Funny part is without it, he doesn’t really have anything else. He’s the sonic of the first 10m of the game.

well, i mean, thats what he is all about XD

> 2533274859484857;19:
> > 2533274846367343;17:
> > > 2533274805684332;1:
> > > Over the past bujillion years 343 have been working on our latest balance change. Hopefully UNSC will be brought closer to viability, but my worry is that Cutter is currently so far ahead of the rest of the UNSC (Arguably the fourth best leader, but Decimus Teleport and Shield Gens might still edge it) that when they’re all brought in line Cutter may become OP. Provided the early game is fixed and balanced - as indicated in the preview of the patch notes - and marines beat choppers, choppers beat rabbits and rabbits beat marines, Cutter shouldn’t still have crazy early game dominance over all other UNSC because rabbits will beat raid marines. Even so, I think his current (easy choice) leader power order needs to be rectified to make Cutter a little less mindless and therefore a little less OP.
> > >
> > > Just so we’re all agreed on the current mindless point spending order - Raid, Raid 2, ODST drop (let your marines die by rushing a base once you have one or two ODST squads on the field - they’re too slow), Cyclops drop, ODST Assault Group (let your tank die - again too slow), Close Air support. Then the choices begin. ODST mines shrek buildings, cyclopses below nightingales tank crazy damage and the leader powers drop super powered veteran units. You get left with a crazy fast moving unit comp of Cyclopses, nightingales, wolverines and ODST (possibly snipers if you’re in a 1v1 vs cutter) where nightingales are the slowest moving unit and ODST mines strip bases in seconds.
> > >
> > > I’d like to see the first leader point be a choice between battle hardened and lotus mines (lotus mines receiving a buff where their detection radius is smaller - possible health increase - but, most importantly, like ODST mines they no longer get auto-targeted by units so anyone that is using ‘all units’ and sending them across the map without looking gets punished). This is a difficult decision, having mines that early lets you pepper the map with mines but battle hardened - which also needs buffing - that early means that all of your units that you build get the benefit of faster veterancy.
> > >
> > > Raid/Restoration drones is then also a more difficult decision because by this time in the game node capture isn’t such a big issue and you could already be looking at transitioning out of your starting infantry into vehicles or air where raid wouldn’t be useful.
> > >
> > > ODST/Archer missiles is a cool choice anyway because archer missiles aren’t awful but with Raid 2 you don’t have a choice - you HAVE to pick ODST drop. If the choice with your third leader point is now ODST/Raid 2/Archer missiles it becomes a difficult choice again.
> > >
> > > This completely changes where the priorities are for the fourth, fifth and sixth leader points because cyclops drop isn’t as crazy good if you’ve opted out of getting the raid points and if you’ve gone for Raid 2 you need to prioritise ODST over cyclops anyway.
> > >
> > > Cutter is only frequently used because of how easy he is to play, this is evidenced by Metaloid and Savior rinsing everyone in the 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments without a single UNSC leader used by them or winning a single game (not one banshee built either by the way but that’s a different discussion…).
> > >
> > > Would be interested to hear everyone else’s opinions (no matter how wrong you are).
> >
> > I almost always just raid>Resto>ODST>Cyclopes if choppers or turret>Close air.
> >
> > Raid 1 is more than enough to out speed pretty much everyone. Once you hit 20/4 with marines and snipes (maybe you have 1-2 ODST left at the end) you have pretty much won the game on anyone not building choppers.
> >
> > Cutter is good because the speed at which he rush downs people is pretty much unmatched. No one has the ability to map control faster and oppress the enemy. Not since un-nerfed kinsano anyways. He does it all with a 150 supply unit to. Funny part is without it, he doesn’t really have anything else. He’s the sonic of the first 10m of the game.
>
> well, i mean, thats what he is all about XD

If it wasn’t for choppers and shield stacking he’d prolly be getting nerfed right now.