Custom Games really need to be rethought going into S3, especially as additional gametypes are added.
The current categorisation system is bafflingly inefficient, take Fiesta as an example.
- Add a ‘Random’ toggle to Primary and Secondary weapon options.
- Have the ‘Random’ toggle built into the Fiesta category and individually create gametypes based on it.
Infinite went with the latter, meaning that to get a comparible level of customisation depth Option 1 would offer, 343 would need to create the following distinct variants (based solely on the current gametype selection):
- Fiesta : Slayer
- Fiesta : Oddball
- Fiesta : Capture the Flag
- Fiesta : One Flag
- Fiesta : Neutral Flag
- Fiesta : King of the Hill
- Fiesta : Strongholds
- Fiesta : Attrition
- Fiesta : Land Grab
- Fiesta : FFA Slayer
- Fiesta : FFA Oddball
- Fiesta : FFA King of the Hill
- Fiesta : Last Spartan Standing
- Fiesta : BTB Slayer
- Fiesta : BTB Capture the Flag
- Fiesta : BTB Total Control
- Fiesta : BTB Stockpile
Then factor in additional gametypes added later. What about Super Fiesta with Campaign variants, that’s double the already ludicrous list. Or we could just go with Option 1.
I know some would argue ‘I wouldn’t play most of these anyway’, but that’s not really the point. This is a predominant issue with Customs in general, the lack of vehicle and equipment options, gametypes built with map sizes in mind instead of being flexible, and the lack of multi-team options as well.
I really hope a more modular approach is taken going forward, because what we have now is both restrictive to the players, and inefficient for the developers.