Custom Game Browsing - An absolute necessity for Halo 4. (Support This)

(The dedicated server thread is for CGB too, however it was removed from the title so I’m making a separate thread for now)

This is to be used alongside matchmaking. You wouldn’t be able to rank either or everybody would boost.

Flexibility at it’s maximum. A server lobby for social play, accessible from the main menu which would display every hosted custom game at a given time.

For each custom game, the broswer would show the Custom Game’s

• Player Selected Name
  • Gametype
  • Map
  • The number of players

Why this is important

• It’d allow players to play what they want, when they want, with who they want.
  • It’d allow your new forge maps to be promoted easily.
  • It’d make recruitment easier. Call the game ‘X Clan Recruiting’ - People know what to expect when they join.
  • It’d support drop in drop out on a larger scale.

Overall, it make playing exactly what you want to play much easier. It means you don’t have to play what you don’t like playing either. Furthermore, it segregates the bad part of the community. The host can kick trash talkers/betrayers etc increasing the game quality for everyone. Lastly, quitting is negated because people are replaced.

Alongside dedicated servers, this’d provide a perfect system as on top of the above. It’d allow for more players and better connections. However CGB is much more important.

WE NEED THIS IMPLEMENTED.

I assume you’re talking about minigames too? that’s a big part of custom games, and lesser know minigames will confuse players. Possibly add a brief rule set to each game played. thiis should be completly optional, as i’m preyy sure that you wouldn’t like rules shoved in your face every time you played your favorite minigame. Just wondering, if this is implemented, how would maps and minigames get selected? how would you seperate the quality maps from the nerf-worthy ones?

If people join a custom game with rules they don’t like, then they can leave and find another. You select the game from a list, so there shouldn’t be an issue with playing what you don’t like.

I don’t see what you mean by separating good quality maps with those that aren’t either. Obviously you’ll join a game with an official map if you want something which is guaranteed to be high quality. For user made maps, then if you join a game and the custom map is terrible, then you can leave and find a better one.

The name of the custom game in the custom game list would give the people browsing the lobby an idea of what to expect when they join for maximum accessibility. Tags like ‘Casual/Competitive’, ‘New/Vanilla’ and ‘Chatty/Quiet’ could also give an indication of what to expect too.

A ‘minigame’ tag would fix your solution, people who join will join knowing there are rules to be learnt.

For reference, it’d look something like this.

Yes yes yes yes and yes. It can be so hard to get a good number of people into your customs. Great post OP.

Id actually like a mini game rule briefing

A custom game browser/searcher would be a welcomed feature in Halo 4. I’ve seen games that run on the P2P system implement it, too. So there’s no need for dedicated servers either.

YES. I want to print this out and staple it to every employee in 343 industries’ face.

Signed

Also the Custom Browser would be unranked so people would still have full incentive to play matchmaking.

BTW 343 everyone wants this feature. Everyone since the first Halo did it correctly on the PC, its time for the Xbox to join 2012.

100% support

> A custom game browser/searcher would be a welcomed feature in Halo 4. I’ve seen games that run on the P2P system implement it, too. So there’s no need for dedicated servers either.

Dedicated servers aren’t necessary, but they could make for smoother connections and more players in games which would really complement Custom Game Browsing.

Custom Game Browsing is great, ever since Halo 1 on PC it’s been the best system for playing Halo online. If Halo 3/Reach had it they’d be much better.

The thing is, they allow communities to build in ways that are impossible on matchmaking. It also eradicates people who betray, hog weapons and trash talk, because it allows for the option to kick them.

It’d make for the PERFECT social experience on Halo. So people who have seen this thread and haven’t posted their support, I’d like to know why.

after having read this thread to see the opinion of all people currently involved…

i will now produce my opinion be it law and the word of god…

FINALY SOMEONE ELSE AGREES WITH LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE!

Yeah it needs to work like it does in Halo CE PC so you can just join in on a game except it needs to be a little more detailed like Halo Reach was when you clicked on your friends to see what they where doing.

Like:
Exact Gametype: Fat Kid
Braud Gametype: Infection
Exact Map: Omega Journey
Braud Map: Foundary
Number of players: 10/16
Party Leader: ********
Number of rounds: 3
Time remaining: 7 minutes

Yeah but I support this post
I had some serious trouble playing Customs in Reach that I made a silver account and added randoms so it would play like a custom game hopper. This should be implented into Halo 4 and it would add a new and very familar feeling back to Halo that dates back 10 years ago.

Not even just for that fans. I don’t personally see why Microsoft wouldn’t want this.

1.0| Custom Games Browsing’s implemented
1.1| People play what they want to play
1.2| Unpleasant players get eradicated from the regular popular custom games
1.3| The community ties are stronger between the pleasant players
1.4| Halo gets detoxified from its unfriendly image
1.5| XBL in general gets a more +ve image

Not only that, it’s a massive step ahead of what the competition are doing too, so ultimately this would serve both the hardcore fanbase and new players alike.

> Not even just for that fans. I don’t personally see why Microsoft wouldn’t want this.
>
> 1.0| Custom Games Browsing’s implemented
> 1.1| People play what they want to play
> 1.2| Unpleasant players get eradicated from the regular popular custom games
> 1.3| The community ties are stronger between the pleasant players
> 1.4| Halo gets detoxified from its unfriendly image
> 1.5| XBL in general gets a more +ve image
>
> Not only that, it’s a massive step ahead of what the competition are doing too, so ultimately this would serve both the hardcore fanbase and new players alike.

look more reasons why my opinion is right and this needs doing (yes your opinion is also right so long as you agree with mine, which everyone here, from what i see, does)

am i egocentric, i cant tell :slight_smile:

I hope this happens i brought it up in my thread I made earlier.

Well it benefits the competitive, creative AND casual communities. It’d be stupid for it not to be implemented.

A server list for Custom Games would be amazing. It’s one major thing that I’ve always missed when playing on Xbox Live. Not only for the good things that people have mentioned here, but for the continuation of the online experience. Server Lists make a game survive for much longer than Matchmaking can. Just look at Halo 2 Vista, only about 80 players online at a single time yet I can still find a game to play. It’s hard to imagine it being easy to find a game with that population on a game that only uses Matchmaking.

(P.S. On a side note, just to let Microsoft know why they should be interested, they should make a service where players can pay Microsoft for a dedicated server in the Custom Games Server List. It can be used for Clan Activity, Community Testing, Tournaments, you name it.)

I don’t know why i forgot about this after talking about this for year’s on Halo 3 and Reach on B.net.

As many of you know it’s soo hard to get into big 16 player custom game’s if you don’t have friend’s that have friend’s that play it, I have actully spend hour’s and hour’s asking people on youtube, b.net, xboxlive, trying to get a full party.

So having an ability to search for open custom game lobbies would make it so awesome.

If Reach had this option i would be playing it right now, because there are so incredibly amount of people making custom map’s and games so i don’t see why not.

You could even use this in the community playlist if there is going to be one. Change the map’s every week, have competitions and people can win and all those goddies. - whatcha think about that?

And why isn’t there a Halo 4 or CEA category yet?

As awesome as it might seem it could bring 1 bad thing. Low population in regular playlists. I’d still support it though.

Well, if CGB was brought in then any playlist that’d be considered social ‘BTB, Action Sack, Living Dead etc’ wouldn’t be in Halo 4. The remaining ones would be scaled down and focused for the competitive player. Meaning that they should have relatively good populations.