Current State

While it’s unfortunate it still feels like we’re nowhere near a steady state in matchmaking yet (it still feels more akin to a beta after nearly 6 months) there is hope on the horizon. Recent bulletins have hinted at some much needed balancing tweaks which I’m happy about and want to see implemented sooner rather than later.

Some of the more as yet un-hinted annoyances such as vehicle resilience, lack of a classic playlist (wat hapen lEgEndAry slAyErz??), and CSR grievances are still lurking in the back of many a mind and become top of mind during/after many a match.

I’ll start with the last (CSR) first – just give it up. It’s just -blamed!- beyond all at this point and we just need to let it go. I propose we focus more on the urgent task at hand – sandbox balancing.

On to bigger and better… Vehicle Resilience (or lack thereof). PLEEZ FIX :’(( Due to custom load out options (i.e., sTiCkEEZ and PlAzMAs) and the amount of cover available on maps (which can also inhibit vehicle dexterity BTW) these guys really need a buff!!

And finally… a Classic Playlist/Legendary Slayer (why aren’t we hearing more on this?). Need this for 2 reasons: on the one hand the community is begging for it and on the flip side if this playlist tanks (as in population-nobody-home) then no one can legitimately keep crying for the glory days of Halo because a lack of interest in classic style means throw all of your energy points behind refining Infinity, 343! However, if this playlist catches fire we have a bit of a resource conflict perhaps. There have been rumblings of Legendary Slayer fitting somewhere in between Infinity and true classic Halo. If this be the case and the community truly embraces this playlist we all know the tidal wave of feedback that is sure ensue. I suspect the community would take up the case of lobbying for a total return to classic in this playlist – not just a somewhere in the middle compromise.

Anyhow, I’m enjoying 4 waaaay more than Reach and I see some amazing potential here. Just trying to offer some feedback I hope helps.

These things seem to be on the wish lists of a lot of people, and I don’t mean to belittle the desires of others but…

It puzzles me greatly how people talk endlessly of buffing this gun and nerfing that gun in an attempt to (I assume) make them more like the guns of H2, H3, Hwhatever - you know: the old guns. The good guns. The guns they grew up with. Halo, like any other game has rules. You learn them and you get on with life. In this case, the guns. They are what they are. You figure out which ones you like and which you don’t, but why the endless chest-beating? If someone could explain to me the mentality behind statements like “The DMR is too powerful,” then I would be grateful. Because it just sounds like sour grapes. If you think the DMR is too powerful then pick one up yourself and get in on it. No?

It also puzzles me greatly how people were desperate for the return of a ranking system. They finally get one and they hate it because a) it doesn’t work b) it isn’t visible c) blah blah blah. Again, it smacks of the same sour grapes that filled the forums of H3. It works just fine but is so complicated that people feel like it doesn’t work. Most commonly this results in something very similar to, “I haven’t got my 50 therefore CSR is broke.” People who win four games and don’t rank up have either a) not given the system time to update or b) played and won against noobs of lower skill and therefore shouldn’t rank up. How hard is it to understand this process?

It also puzzles me how people long for the “serious” playlists of days of your. Reach had the best competitive playlist ever: Arena. Where no one went. Ever. Very sad. And you are right to point out that super slayer or some variant there of will be introduced here and no one will go there and it will eventually be pulled and then we can finally have an end to it.

> ut which ones you like and which you don’t, but why the endless chest-beating? If someone could explain to me the mentality behind statements like “The DMR is too powerful,” then I would be grateful. Because it just sounds like sour grapes. If you think the DMR is too powerful then pick one up yourself and get in on it. No?

The DMR has the second best killtime, the best range, and the second best kills-per-clip. The Carbine and Battle Rifle suck in comparison.
The Lightrifle is more or less equal to the DMR.

People are calling for every weapon to be useful because they don’t want to use only the DMR 24/7.

> It also puzzles me greatly how people were desperate for the return of a ranking system.

It isn’t visible.

But people who are complaining about not getting a 50 in one day should be ignored.

> It also puzzles me how people long for the “serious” playlists of days of your. Reach had the best competitive playlist ever: Arena. Where no one went. Ever. Very sad. And you are right to point out that super slayer or some variant there of will be introduced here and no one will go there and it will eventually be pulled and then we can finally have an end to it.

Reach had the best competitive playlist ever: MLGv7
Arena pales in comparison.

The MLG playlist however still has players to this day, and is discussed a lot with competitives.

I’m going to make this quick, but I think it needs said.

Until 343 Studios decides to make a proper Halo-based game and stop trying to mimic Call of Duty – Matchmaking will always be in a state of unrest. There are too many variables to balance with the current structure of the game to make MM enjoyable.

It amazes me how badly 343 Studios has failed with such a successful, promising title.

> I’m going to make this quick, but I think it needs said.
>
> Until 343 Studios decides to make a proper Halo-based game and stop trying to mimic Call of Duty – Matchmaking will always be in a state of unrest. There are too many variables to balance with the current structure of the game to make MM enjoyable.
>
> It amazes me how badly 343 Studios has failed with such a successful, promising title.

Successful? Your criteria seems to be set at the bar of “community response” (since sales, reviews, and even online stats don’t provide you with much to really take issue with) and on that score each and every halo game has failed to some cabal or another which adopts front-and-center role in the community. For example, Halo2sucks.com. What you’re left with as “how Halo 4 has let us all down” is simply that it isn’t so perfect that you can’t not find an unflattering interpretation of its quality (if you’re inclined to do so.) Select the right features, the right balancing problems, and exclude all else (ex. 343’s updates) and you can fill the internet with anthologies of whining about how Halo 4 or any other game doesn’t liev up to its potential.

For example, Halo 1 was a highly repetitive and clunky FPS whose only credit was aping much better Sci-fi (Ringworld, Alien, Forbidden Planet, Power Rangers), and its multiplayer, though progressive, only went to show how far behind the console still was to the even then developed world of PC gaming. Is that a failure? No, that just means I (like you) don’t have a sense of proportion.