Current Halo Graphics and Art Style

The very begining of this noticable change in art style occured with the launch of Reach.
Everything began to look a bit more cartoony, soft, glowy, and just overall less real.

This was set in motion because Bungie made Reach as a sort of beta for Destiny. Testing gameplay mechanics, and art style.
343i made Halo 4 and the problem became worse. Bright, popping colored, spartans with soft edges are the most noticable. Multiplayer.
Halo 4 took a different direction with art style, and while I admit sky-boxes and certain maps look beautiful, the overall feel of the game seems less realistic. With graphics becoming a staple in gaming updates, you would think a more real approach would be taken.

After watching the E3 “reveal” of Halo 5, all I can think about is how the game looks like Halo 4.5.
Certain things in the game looked mind blowing, like the destruction of promethian soldiers. That orange glow looks amazing! however, spartan models seemed to be very similar to Halo 4, and the close-up of the new antagonist was very disappointing. My friend pointed out it looked like play-doh. Obviously an over exaggeration, but I understood the point he was making. The graphics are cartoonish, and soft. Comparing Halo 3 to Halo 4 it becomes obvious. The in-game graphics aren’t as up to par as they could be.
Bungie’s graphics age well, as to 343’s that do not.

The CGI videos for Halo 4 were insanely beautiful. Both campaign and spartan ops. As well as the BLUR cutscenes for H2A. HOWEVER, the in game multiplayer graphics did not impress me.

What are your thoughts about the art style for multiplayer spartan models. Or Halo 5 in general.

From the videos I’ve watched I don’t like the way the new Promethians look. That’s where I see a lot of the cartoon look you’re talking about.

That’s the first time i’ve ever seen Reach’s graphics be described as colourful and cartoony.

I can live with how the art style is, but yes it does look sorta cartoon for models. I myself would want the armor to look like metal not plastic. Halo up to reach kept a medal look. But now it is very plastic like.

I totally agree. Since Reach, the game colors look less realstic - more like a cartoon (contrast and color saturation are too high). The textures in Halo 1-3 were so much more realistic - no cold metal surfaces like in Halo 4 and Halo 4.5.

According to this picture, i would say, that Halo 3 looks much better than Halo 5.

after I saw the campaign trailer the br looked super cartooney and even sounds different. The Spartans look weird.

How does everything prior to Reach look more realistic? Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.

As for it looking like Halo 4, 343 has their own art direction and unique style. Most of the same artists who worked on Halo 4 are doing the same in Halo 5. It’s just what Halo looks like now. New Saga, new developer, new look. And for the most part, I prefer it over what Bungie did. In fact, now that I think about it, the most appealing visual aspects of CE & H2 were from the Anniversary editions.

I think the only things I prefer from the classic games were a lot of the Halo 3 vehicles.

> 2533274883669557;7:
> How does everything prior to Reach look real? Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.

Haha Obviously graphics were restricted back then, but I mean looking at a multiplayer standpoint, specifically player models. Halo 3 was the pinnacle.

> 2533274812413921;8:
> > 2533274883669557;7:
> > How does everything prior to Reach look real? Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.
>
>
> Haha Obviously graphics were restricted back then, but I mean looking at a multiplayer standpoint, specifically player models. Halo 3 was the pinnacle.

If you mean the pinnacle of plastic, then yes.

> 2533274964189700;9:
> > 2533274812413921;8:
> > > 2533274883669557;7:
> > > How does everything prior to Reach look real? Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.
> >
> >
> > Haha Obviously graphics were restricted back then, but I mean looking at a multiplayer standpoint, specifically player models. Halo 3 was the pinnacle.
>
>
> If you mean the pinnacle of plastic, then yes.

Honestly, Halo 3 spartans looked more realistic than Spartans in H4. H4 spartans were about equal with graphics to Dragonball Z games…

> 2533274812413921;8:
> > 2533274883669557;7:
> > How does everything prior to Reach look real? Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.
>
>
> Haha Obviously graphics were restricted back then, but I mean looking at a multiplayer standpoint, specifically player models. Halo 3 was the pinnacle.

Compare THIS from Halo 3 to THIS from Halo 4. It’s the same armor set, both images captured in theater to look as good as possible for the sake of -Yoink!- screenshots, so these weren’t chosen with any bias in mind, I was just trying to take nice pictures from all the games.

EDIT: The Halo 3 image actually looks a lot cleaner because it’s at 1080p whereas the Halo 4 is from the 360 and only 720p.

What? I always thought that Halo 3 was the most cartoony videogame in Halos franchise excluding Halo Wars. Halo Reach always felt more realistic with its armor and landscapes. But meh. Halo 3 people are the worst to argue with.

I think we’re just seeing the evolution of game design imho. It gets to a point where it’s a question of how real is to real for a Sci Fi game that “kids” play. I think that’s why the “cartoonyness” is used.where as a gears of war has no problem showing people’s chests getting chainsawed to pieces. Halo was never that kind of game that went for the gore and blood kinda genre.

> 2533274812413921;10:
> Honestly, Halo 3 spartans looked more realistic than Spartans in H4. H4 spartans were about equal with graphics to Dragonball Z games…

Not seeing how this, looks anything more like this, than this.

Well okay, both DBZ and Halo 4 have hips that somewhat make sense.

I understand what the OP is saying, but I like the direction the art style is headed.

I agree that some prometheans look plastic. Especially the last boss, the guardian of the domain. Promethian soldiers on the other hand look metallic. Also the purple explosions could use some more work. They lack brightness

Comparing the new look to plastic is not that far off. The armor doesn’t feel metallic or sturdy. The player and enemy models look like molded action figures or toys. The visuals are too glossy, too glow-y, and the colors are too saturated. Maybe bring back some of Reach’s gritty appeal or heck, even tune the textures like H2A? Something is missing in the e3 demos and because of it, the graphics feel awkwardly stylized to me.

> 2533274883669557;7:
> Lord Hood looked like a potato in Halo 2 & 3.

HA HA HA

What did arbiter look like? a pancake?

(looked at the first sentence.)

Wut?

The play-doh remark.
I noticed it.
It’s the lighting in the engine. It doesn’t do well on the Spartans whatsoever.

The actual art direction? It’s beautiful.

I like the art, the only thing I almost kinda miss is the shotgun model, but then again I haven’t had time to adapt to the new one, I haven’t played h4 a ton.