CTF tactics help

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m just getting back into the online multiplayer and looking to expand out a little. I usually stick to Regicide because I have rough idea what I’m doing;

In FFA, kill everyone who isn’t me and bonus points for killing the king. People get bonus points for killing me if I’m the king. In Team Regicide, protect my king whilst killing everyone who isn’t on my team, find a team mate (preferably the king) and stick with him.

But I’m not sure how to approach CTF and I’d like to play a couple of games without getting it completely wrong. Do I focus on killing the other team, capturing their flag, defending mine…what’s the best approach?

Apologies for being a noob

In CTF you will find 3 types of players. Those who go for the flag, those who protect the flag by staying close to it, and those that slay and try to keep people as far away from the flag as possible for the longest possible time.

The only times you should protect your own flag is if you have the lead and there is less than 2 minutes left of the game.

You choose what you want to do.

CTF i find can be alot of fun or drive you up the wall. Its all about communication and when you have a team that doenst talk it can really be frustrating to win

> CTF i find can be alot of fun or drive you up the wall. Its all about communication and when you have a team that doenst talk it can really be frustrating to win

This. I really only have a good time playing CTF when I’m playing with at least one person with a mic. If no one has mics its a 50/50 chance CTF turns into a slayer game.

I wouldn’t play any Objective game without a full party, especially because of the lack of a good visible ranking system.

Then its just making focused, coordinated pushes on thier flag. You want your whole team alive and together on thier side and as many of them dead as possible when you grab the flag. Now that you can defend yourself as the flag carrier you can be more liberal in grabbing the flag.

> > CTF i find can be alot of fun or drive you up the wall. Its all about communication and when you have a team that doenst talk it can really be frustrating to win
>
> This. I really only have a good time playing CTF when I’m playing with at least one person with a mic. If no one has mics its a 50/50 chance CTF turns into a slayer game.

I turn mine on even if im the only one with one on just so i can call out. I use to play it a ton in Halo 2 and 3 but i found that it turned into slayer alot of the time which forced alot of tie games or the players tried to do everything on their own. BUt what bothred me the most was the team killing to steal the cap. I hate doing 95% of the work to get it into the teams base only to have a nade go off and drop me and a teamate grab it and score. SO i stopped playing it in Reach