CTF on Abandon...

This map must be really unbalanced for the blue team for CTF.

I tried playing the CTF challenge playlist and I JIP’d like half my games onto the blue team on Abandon on CTF, down by one or more flag caps.

I noticed from playing either the red or blue side that the blue side is a lot harder to defend than red side because it’s so open. It is also very easy for red to cap the flag.

If anything, all CTF gametypes should be on balanced Maps, like Solace, Adrift… and well there aren’t that many balanced maps. CTF on maps like Abandon and Complex are a big No No.

Half the problem is the changes they made to CTF.

> Half the problem is the changes they made to CTF.

Although I somewhat agree, I put the blame on the map in this case. Abandon is one of the worst maps I’ve played on.

> Half the problem is the changes they made to CTF.

This… I love how they added oddball throwing.

Why can’t we throw the flag? Not as far as an oddball of course… and the magnum becomes OP when you have the flag lol. Got an easy triple with it because of the high RoF.

> This… I love how they added oddball throwing.
>
> Why can’t we throw the flag? Not as far as an oddball of course… and the magnum becomes OP when you have the flag lol. Got an easy triple with it because of the high RoF.

Flag taken!
Flag dropped.*
Flag taken!
Flag dropped.*
Flag taken!
Flag dropped.*

That’s why.^

> > This… I love how they added oddball throwing.
> >
> > Why can’t we throw the flag? Not as far as an oddball of course… and the magnum becomes OP when you have the flag lol. Got an easy triple with it because of the high RoF.
>
> Flag taken!
> Flag dropped.*
> Flag taken!
> Flag dropped.*
> Flag taken!
> Flag dropped.*
>
> That’s why.^

I actually loved that… I don’t know about you but that was my favorite part of CTF.

Not being able to drop the flag is kind of dumb. I want to switch to my other weapons but can’t.

Hah, I literally posted this about 5 minutes ago. Terrible, terrible map for anything balanced. Really stupid decision to include it in CTF. What were they thinking?

> If anything, all CTF gametypes should be on balanced Maps, like Solace, Adrift… and well there aren’t that many balanced maps. CTF on maps like Abandon and Complex are a big No No.

Depends on what people want out of the experience.

Bungie introduced the concept of differing map designs to include symmetrical and asymmetrical designs. The fact is, both have solid positives and negatives, but you really need to understand the overall maps and its various positives and negatives.

Fact is, I agree, but I also like the coordination element which must be included to players and where one player could be good at locking down one area with a certain AA, they could be great at controlling another area if they utilized a separate setup.

All in all, abandon being one of the few small maps, I like it for CTF, but the complexity players introduce into that when playing competitively can sometimes be… weird/odd/whatever you want to call it. Thus, I think we should stay on maps like Adrift or Solace more often…

I havent really played enough abandon CTF to judge it, but i think people knock asym maps way to fast. You probably, and me, arent good enough to judge it.

You have to perfect something before you can see how truly bad it is, ie boltshot or jetpack.

If anything, ive noticed the low side has the advantage as they always spawn right within shooting angles while a lone guy can sneak to the high side (since it has so much cover) and steal flag. Then he has an easy run thru ring 1 or ring 3.

> I havent really played enough abandon CTF to judge it, but i think people knock asym maps way to fast. You probably, and me, arent good enough to judge it.
>
> You have to perfect something before you can see how truly bad it is, ie boltshot or jetpack.
>
> If anything, ive noticed the low side has the advantage as they always spawn right within shooting angles while a lone guy can sneak to the high side (since it has so much cover) and steal flag. Then he has an easy run thru ring 1 or ring 3.

The flag placements on Abandon and Complex are really bad. If I would change it, it would be:

On Abandon, blue team’s flag (the more open side) should be behind the rock near the edge of the map on the side with the small ramp. It’s hard to describe, but there is decent cover there because there’s a couple of big rocks.

On red side, the flag should be on the little cliff that only has one path leading up to it. It is more defensible and compensates for the fact blue team receives a better flag placement.

On Complex, Red team’s flag, the side near the map’s only lift. Red team’s flag should be farther back, a bit farther back from the sniper spawn.

Blue team’s flag should then be under the little cover behind where the sniper spawns, or on the roof of the cover.