CSR does not work

after reading your BULLetin on how the new CSR system is calculated, i find it to be completely confusing … according to you(343) in BTS you base the skill of the player on their score and how they compared to the other players and yet when i go and check my CSR i find that even a first place with a score of 265, w/18K,5D got me a CSR1, where as the 6th place player with a score of 195, w/13K,7D gets a CSR11 and the 7th place player with a score of 155, w/10K,8D gets a CSR10 …so explain to me, please how this follows what your BULLetin says, how is it(CSR) really calculated?

Because you just started the playlist and those guys were higher ranks than you from the start? You don’t get an individual CSR each game, you get a CSR for the whole playlist and the better you do, the more that gets added to your CSR and you can rank up. Of course, if you do bad a few games, then you can rank down.

It actually does work, unfortunately for some players theyre being unevenly matched from the get go. It will even itself out in a few days when everyone levels accordingly. FYI, you earn levels over a time period. Most individuals ive spoken to started at level 1. The next game you play dictates on how fast you go up. Unless its a team playlist, if it is its going to take longer.

> It actually does work, unfortunately for some players theyre being unevenly matched from the get go. It will even itself out in a few days when everyone levels accordingly. FYI, you earn levels over a time period. Most individuals ive spoken to started at level 1. The next game you play dictates on how fast you go up. Unless its a team playlist, if it is its going to take longer.

Players are not matched based on CSR. Your CSR is irrelevant to matchmaking.

You are matched on an invisible TrueSkill, which has been running since Halo 4 launched. You are still being matched against the same TrueSkill players as you were before the CSR launch. This is why it looks like there is a disparity.

> > It actually does work, unfortunately for some players theyre being unevenly matched from the get go. It will even itself out in a few days when everyone levels accordingly. FYI, you earn levels over a time period. Most individuals ive spoken to started at level 1. The next game you play dictates on how fast you go up. Unless its a team playlist, if it is its going to take longer.
>
> Players are not matched based on CSR. Your CSR is irrelevant to matchmaking.
>
> You are matched on an invisible TrueSkill, which has been running since Halo 4 launched. You are still being matched against the same TrueSkill players as you were before the CSR launch. This is why it looks like there is a disparity.

Agreed.

> > It actually does work, unfortunately for some players theyre being unevenly matched from the get go. It will even itself out in a few days when everyone levels accordingly. FYI, you earn levels over a time period. Most individuals ive spoken to started at level 1. The next game you play dictates on how fast you go up. Unless its a team playlist, if it is its going to take longer.
>
>
> You are matched on an invisible TrueSkill, which has been running since Halo 4 launched. You are still being matched against the same TrueSkill players as you were before the CSR launch. This is why it looks like there is a disparity.

Which is odd considering the Matchmaking team on the forums here said you’re matched on CSR now.

@seeno …so what you are saying is if i ONLY play BTS and thats all i ever play then no matter what i score from 1st to last i will only get a CSR1 and thats it? … cause If thats the way it is then the “explanation” from 343 …SUCKS

It felt like it was matching based on CSR. My first 4 or 5 games after the update were my best streak of games ever, so I assumed it was because a portion of the better players had moved up the ranks already and so I was getting easier matches.

> @seeno …so what you are saying is if i ONLY play BTS and thats all i ever play then no matter what i score from 1st to last i will only get a CSR1 and thats it? … cause If thats the way it is then the “explanation” from 343 …SUCKS

He definitely didnt say that anywhere…

>
>

I thought they reset players trueskill when CSR released? I know that wouldn’t make a ton of sense but that is what I heard…

> Which is odd considering the Matchmaking team on the forums here said you’re matched on CSR now.

Can you grab me a link?

CSR is a representation of TrueSkill and It looks as if at the moment when enter a playlist with a CSR of 0 and you have an existing TrueSkill of X your CSR will ‘race’ towards your TrueSkill.

But TrueSkill is used for matchmaking. Maybe I’m splitting hairs.

EDIT: All I could find was this (from the bulletin):

> CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill

I’m not sure if that means CSR or TrueSkill is used :S

> I thought they reset players trueskill when CSR released? I know that wouldn’t make a ton of sense but that is what I heard…

No idea, that would explain my epic streak though. Reading the bulletin it does seem to be the case that its TrueSkill that decided who you’re matched against, so either something happened to TrueSkill or I was just playing sick (my connection was the best it has ever been on h4 so that could genuinely have been the case)

> > I thought they reset players trueskill when CSR released? I know that wouldn’t make a ton of sense but that is what I heard…
>
> No idea, that would explain my epic streak though. Reading the bulletin it does seem to be the case that its TrueSkill that decided who you’re matched against, so either something happened to TrueSkill or I was just playing sick (my connection was the best it has ever been on h4 so that could genuinely have been the case)

They did reset Trueskill to include overhauls to CSR calculation, Halo 4 game updates, and events and promotions centered on CSR.

> They did reset it to include overhauls to CSR calculation, Halo 4 game updates, and events and promotions centered on CSR.

Can you get a quote? This surely isn’t true.

Resetting the TrueSkill would be a huge mistake effectively undoing months of gaming.

> > They did reset it to include overhauls to CSR calculation, Halo 4 game updates, and events and promotions centered on CSR.
>
> Can you get a quote? This surely isn’t true.
>
> Resetting the TrueSkill would be a huge mistake effectively undoing months of gaming.

No. The system should be much stricter now. Up until now your Trueskill has been calculated in a mere Social playlist. You shouldn’t match players based on how much they have won in a Halo 4, (Before CSR) where everyone basically met everyone, regardless of skill.

Trueskill also works differently in different playlists now.

> > Which is odd considering the Matchmaking team on the forums here said you’re matched on CSR now.
>
> Can you grab me a link?
>
> CSR is a representation of TrueSkill and It looks as if at the moment when enter a playlist with a CSR of 0 and you have an existing TrueSkill of X your CSR will ‘race’ towards your TrueSkill.
>
> But TrueSkill is used for matchmaking. Maybe I’m splitting hairs.
>
> EDIT: All I could find was this (from the bulletin):
>
>
>
> > CSR is closely based on your TrueSkill rank, which ensures that you’ll be ranked – and matched – against opponents of comparable skill
>
> I’m not sure if that means CSR or TrueSkill is used :S

CSR (Competetive skill rank) is (1-50) and is closely based on your TrueSkill rank (Behind the scenes rank). Your TrueSkill rank is calculated based on your WIN/LOSS ratio in some playlists, but your personal performance in others. It’s true skill that matches you against opponents of comperable skill.

Well now i’m even more confused … cause it seems that none of us really have a CLEAR picture of how this CSR works … if we take what 343 says as gospel …".While several playlists will use a win/loss system to determine whether or not you rank up, others will use individual scoring, which will rank you based on your performance against everyone in the match, teammates included." …" The following playlists will use individual scoring and measure your performance against all others in the game. This ensures that the players who play the best in each match will have their CSR adjusted accordingly" .…then looking at my stats and others on HWaypoint it makes no sense … if i place 1st place on the winning team does that not make me the best player? … so why would i get a CSR1, when a player on my team that quit early got a CSR8 for the same game … and if the CSR scores do not accumulate as you play more and more games then how would you ever make it to CSR50? …

> Well now i’m even more confused … cause it seems that none of us really have a CLEAR picture of how this CSR works … if we take what 343 says as gospel …".While several playlists will use a win/loss system to determine whether or not you rank up, others will use individual scoring, which will rank you based on your performance against everyone in the match, teammates included." …" The following playlists will use individual scoring and measure your performance against all others in the game. This ensures that the players who play the best in each match will have their CSR adjusted accordingly" .…then looking at my stats and others on HWaypoint it makes no sense … if i place 1st place on the winning team does that not make me the best player? … so why would i get a CSR1, when a player on my team that quit early got a CSR8 for the same game … and if the CSR scores do not accumulate as you play more and more games then how would you ever make it to CSR50? …

Read what the 2nd poster(Seano399)said, it doesn’t get any clearer than that.

> if i place 1st place on the winning team does that not make me the best player? … so why would i get a CSR1, when a player on my team that quit early got a CSR8 for the same game

He was a CSR 8 at the time of the game. He was not ranked CSR FOR his performance in that game. You should play (and win) more games and your CSR will go up too. Simple as that.

The people above you are talking about a different matter entirely.

> Well now i’m even more confused … cause it seems that none of us really have a CLEAR picture of how this CSR works … if we take what 343 says as gospel …".While several playlists will use a win/loss system to determine whether or not you rank up, others will use individual scoring, which will rank you based on your performance against everyone in the match, teammates included." …" The following playlists will use individual scoring and measure your performance against all others in the game. This ensures that the players who play the best in each match will have their CSR adjusted accordingly" .…then looking at my stats and others on HWaypoint it makes no sense … if i place 1st place on the winning team does that not make me the best player? … so why would i get a CSR1, when a player on my team that quit early got a CSR8 for the same game … and if the CSR scores do not accumulate as you play more and more games then how would you ever make it to CSR50? …

> Because you just started the playlist and those guys were higher ranks than you from the start? You don’t get an individual CSR each game, you get a CSR for the whole playlist and the better you do, the more that gets added to your CSR and you can rank up. Of course, if you do bad a few games, then you can rank down.

"Trueskill tracks two numbers, lets call them μ and σ. μ is the average skill of a gamer (some might call this elo or rating), whilst σ is the uncertainty of that skill. As you play more and more games σ goes towards a minimum value. That is to say, the more games you play, the more certain the system becomes of your average skill actually being μ.
If you win, your μ rises. If you lose, your μ drops. How big that change is depends on the value of σ (bigger σ leads to a bigger chance in μ). Your σ never rises however, it only goes down with every game played. That is to say, your rating may fluctuate, but the system becomes more and more certain of your rating with every game you play."

This is what I don’t understand. I’ve been playing the dlc playlist since Monday. I have played around 20 rounds. I lost the first 6 in a row due to horrible teammates. This kept me at csr 1. Then I went on a 14 game winning streak with me going positive in each game. My csr only went up by one. Today I played one round and barely lost and now I’m back at csr 1. That seems very unfair.

Did the system forget that I was on a big winning streak and see that I won more games than I lost? I don’t understand why it penalized me for one loss but barely rewarded me for many wins. Any thoughts on this? I mean I am not at a high csr level here. I would expect this stuff if I was around csr 45 and stuff. Not csr 2.